aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Kuroo Tetsurou (L9)Kenma Kozume (L9)Heart 5 (Red)
    Heart 5 (Red)Iwaizumi Hajime (L8)Oikawa Tooru (L9)
    Tanuma (L10)Natsume (L10)Makoto Tachibana (L6)

Quote Originally Posted by Isan View Post
    @Arigatomina: You're right, that's plenty of good ideas to do with the fic section if nothing can be done about the censoring option itself there
    Even just that would make reading a fic on aarin more enjoyable for sure~
    Okay, but I shudder to think of Renji (my potty mouth character) crying out "Holy frick!"

Seriously, good ideas though

Yaoi Devotee
    Savings

Matt (L2)Light (L3)Hiei (L2)
    Light (L8)Kanda (L4)Cloud (L9)
    Matt (L2)Noctis (L8)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arigatomina View Post
    I've seen some forums have a filter that members can adjust. The default setting blocks all "adult" language. It's up to the member to change the setting so it no longer censors things.

If this forum doesn't have that option, you could always institute a no bad language rule (except in the fiction section). Then you can warn potty mouths and punish repeat offenders without using a filter.

Or you could publish the list of forbidden words in the fanfiction section, sticky it, so we know which ones will be replaced with **'s when used here.

Or you can do an automatic replacement instead of the asterics:
    f*ck = frick
    sh*t = crap
    b*tch = biotch
    We'll all talk like we're back in grade school using "safe curse words" around the teachers, but it's better than wondering if the four letter **** is the f word or the s word. ^^;
    I actually saw a forum that used automatic replacement.

I think that removing the censor from 18+ areas, while possibly impossible (hehe) is a good idea. or the idea about an option in each profile. I gotta admit it's kind of annoying to dance around words and talk like Gene Rayburn

Extreme Yaoi Guru

The abyss after everything, please join me...
    Savings

Shino (L3)Male 1 (Blue)Kiba (L5)
    Spacer 1Loid Forger (L9)Anya Forger (L7)
    Yor Forger (L9)Rick Grimes (L9)Daryl Dixon (L9)

Arigatomina I thought I was the only one that would use *snig ger* and get ****** lol! i didn't even know why it flagged for about and hour trying to fix it. *is clueless at times*
    I agree 18+ fic should not be censored, it kinda ruins the impact in chars dialect. Me too I recently did a fic w/chars w/potty mouth and going thru editing the f*ck word annoying. And i do not know if the story has the same "feel" for readers with the (*) version or "fuk" text version of censoring. *sigh* I hope its possible.
    Last edited by CrisNoWait; 11-06-2008 at 09:00 PM.

Fuji
    I agree that censoring can be really bad when it comes to fics. Although autoreplace is better than ****, it can sound a bit silly still.

"I want to frick you until you can't walk for days."

"I'm going to kill you, you fricking craphead!" he screamed.

On the otherhand,

Nillion
    I think that word-replacement might end up being a bit too silly after a while. "Frick" has none of the punch of "f*ck" and and I just cannot live knowing that dialogue might become as Fuji described.

On the whole, I cannot see why releasing the site-wide ban would be a bad thing. I didn't start cussing almost sailor-like until I was sixteen. There's always an unspoken level of politeness that's expected on forums. No one really goes out of their way to break that kind of taboo unless provoked or looking to provoke.

Perhaps I'm optimistically old-fashioned, but I think lifting of the "banned words ban" will lead to any serious harm.

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Kuroo Tetsurou (L9)Kenma Kozume (L9)Heart 5 (Red)
    Heart 5 (Red)Iwaizumi Hajime (L8)Oikawa Tooru (L9)
    Tanuma (L10)Natsume (L10)Makoto Tachibana (L6)

Quote Originally Posted by Nillion View Post
    Perhaps I'm optimistically old-fashioned, but I think lifting of the "banned words ban" will lead to any serious harm.
    Optimism can be a good thing, but it's a tad naive, sadly

Just go to any nytimes.com or washingtonpost.com article and read the comments submitted by users. ADULT users.

nemine
    I do understand why some of you find it annoying, sometimes I do dislike those stars as well, but I also understand, that censoring is a way of trying to keep it polite around here. So in my opinion, if it's either all-or-nothing deal, where you will either have curse-words or not, I'm voting for keeping the censoring.
    (Also, I don't get why do people say "if you can read yaoi, why can't you handle cursing" since I don't see a connection there much, even though they use the f-word in some, not all, mangas. )

And of course, there is the cultural stuff. Some common cursing-words might have a nasty background in some places, and therefore some people wouldn't want to see those around.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with cursing, hell I do it too much myself, but I wouldn't like reading curse-words after curse-words. There's a limit to what amount is okay and what not, and I don't think some people here could limit their use of curse-words if they would take censoring off, no matter how much rules you make to back it up. I am an admin in one forum, where we didn't have censoring in the beginning, but when it got out of hand, I had to start using censor, replace some words and then even give warnings, since we got a nice amount of reports of the language. That is why I am not really liking the suggestion.

Extreme Yaoi Guru

The abyss after everything, please join me...
    Savings

Shino (L3)Male 1 (Blue)Kiba (L5)
    Spacer 1Loid Forger (L9)Anya Forger (L7)
    Yor Forger (L9)Rick Grimes (L9)Daryl Dixon (L9)

Question

Detective Baker, glared disgustedly at the senior officer. “Put the god dam cigarette out ****ing pre-schooler! This is not one of your 'I’m the big ****’ cases! That **** killed a kid, want me to draw you a picture, Connor. He ripped his ass out!” A tense silence followed the outburst. “Captain put this sick **** back in gen pop, they will take care of all this political bull ****.”
    "The excerpt" Above I really think it lacks the same impact with the ***. In certain fictions my characters have "harsh" language, it would seem odd if they didn't. The same problem occurs when writing smut, a rapist threatening a victim will not say, "..now suck my frickin one-eye-bandit..NOW!.." lol.

I think this has come up under a different topic:
    Is it possible "only" the person who starts a thread can avoid the censoring nightmare? That would be only open in the fiction section, of course.

Fuji
    Quote Originally Posted by CrisNoWait View Post
    "The excerpt" Above I really think it lacks the same impact with the ***. In certain fictions my characters have "harsh" language, it would seem odd if they didn't. The same problem occurs when writing smut, a rapist threatening a victim will not say, "..now suck my frickin one-eye-bandit..NOW!.." lol.

I think this has come up under a different topic:
    Is it possible "only" the person who starts a thread can avoid the censoring nightmare? That would be only open in the fiction section, of course.
    Word replacement fun time!

"Detective Baker, glared disgustedly at the senior officer. “Put the god dam cigarette out fricking pre-schooler! This is not one of your 'I’m the big crap' cases! That fricking killed a kid, want me to draw you a picture, Connor. He ripped his ass out!” A tense silence followed the outburst. “Captain put this sick frick back in gen pop, they will take care of all this political bull crap.”

...couldn't resist

Extreme Yaoi Guru
    Savings

Zack (L8)Cloud (L9)(S001) Endo
    Heero (L4)Kotetsu (L2)Seifer (L10)
    Hasegawa (L3)Zechs (L7)Jin Kazama (L1)

Quote Originally Posted by nemine View Post
    I do understand why some of you find it annoying, sometimes I do dislike those stars as well, but I also understand, that censoring is a way of trying to keep it polite around here.
    I don't understand why swears are considered impolite by some... It's just a word; in an of itself it shouldn't pose a threat to anyone, right? Being impolite would be saying things like "You're so stupid and ugly you don't even deserve to be in the same room as me" -- not "Yesterday I cried my f-u-c-k-i-n-g ass off when watching that sad anime" or whatever.

Personally, I really don't think ditching the censoring will have any impact at all on the politeness and friendliness of people here. But if it's indeed the words themselves you think are impolite, then... I can't really say anything about that; that's your opinion and that's that.

Also, I don't get why do people say "if you can read yaoi, why can't you handle cursing" since I don't see a connection there much, even though they use the f-word in some, not all, mangas.
    From what I know of censoring curses -- which, I admit, isn't all that much; since I don't live in the USA and have to deal with that stuff on everyday basis -- the biggest reason for doing so is to not subject kids to so called bad language. So I just meant that if the forumers are old enough to meet the age rule here, then they're also old enough to see such language.

And of course, there is the cultural stuff. Some common cursing-words might have a nasty background in some places, and therefore some people wouldn't want to see those around.
    And on the flipside, homosexuality is frowned upon in many cultures. Know what I mean? Sadly you can't please everyone, but in this case it does seem that the vast majority of members are in favor of removing the censorship.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast