aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Discord?

Yaoi Legend

Savings

(S077) Yashiro (chibi)Shinohara Keiji (L13)(S078) Doumeki (chibi)
    (S013) Akihito(S020) Yokozawa(S002) Misaki
    Vincent (L8)Valdrigue (L8)Duo (L5)
    I do use discord but mainly to group up with my gaming friends.
    Personally, I avoid joining large discord group simply because I could not benefit from it. I have joined a select few, and then left most of them a week or two later. lol

While the server can be set up to have multiple channels for different purposes, I find navigating older posts are a little inconvenient. And I have to admit that looking at the plethora of channel list at the sidebar makes my head spin a little. It just feel messy for me.

Apart from that, I think being able to chat with the members in real-time is part of the appeal of discord group. However, general chat is something I rarely participate in when the server have a large amount of members. I only pop to chat occasionally and I'm not online most of the time either.

Yaoi Amateur

Savings

Soubi (L2)(S014) KeisukeHotsuma UB (L5)
    Luze UB (L3)Youji (L1)Seishirou (L2)
    Misaki (L1)(S083) Mikado KousukeRai / Cadis Etrama di Raizel (L8)
    I believe many people aren't aware of the fact that Discord is very vulnerable to malware.
    If a risk isn't necessary, I prefer to avoid it.

Yaoi Amateur

Savings

Aether (L9)Vesta (Battle Lover Vesta) (L4)Scarlet (Battle Lover Scarlet) (L4)
    Ikuto (L3)Fei Long (L3)Allen Walker (L3)
    Asami (L10)Jin Ling (L2)Light (L3)
    Quote Originally Posted by sumire007 View Post
    Yup I can only agree with brona here
    Besides that many users sure left the forum, because they found other social media plattform such as tumblr. And that separates everyone a bit from this cosy family kinda place. And if there‘s gonna be a discord server I‘m sure they‘ll be even less activity here...
    And to ad something more; discord feels so cold in my eyes. No individual personality to share, just text and your ava. Here it’s livelier that you can show: such as sets, profiles with personal wall, cards to show your favorite characters and much more idk if it’s just me and has the grumpy mind of an old lady who thinks „it’s better if it’s stays the way it is now“ (my german fellows sure know which meme I‘m referring toXD) Anyway I‘ll find it sad to see more and more go away from this forum
    I agree this forum has it's charm, I love the huge big fluffy animated smileys! But I do wanna point out, you can do those things on discord!

You can totally have a profile, and hundreds of custom emojis for your server, and roles, and there is bots for hugging other users and playing games and literally 100000000 more things XD So I wouldn't call it "distant" LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tzin18 View Post
    I believe many people aren't aware of the fact that Discord is very vulnerable to malware.
    It is? But anyway discord is quite neccesary for me lol, its where the online conventions are held now with corona, all my friens are on there, I have my own sever with around 35 members, am in multiple other ones etc. It kinda IS my social life now!

Yaoi Amateur

Savings

Diluc (L10)Xmas (004)Kaeya (L10)
    (Event) Forum - Tartaglia (Event) Forum - Shell Overlord(Event) Forum - Yata Misaki
    Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1
    They patched that bug in October, didn't you know?
    https://www.techradar.com/news/discord-has-patched-a-critical-security-issue

As for the thread topic... I use the discord a lot. It is especially useful for finding the fandom of so called "problematic ships", such as incest pairs, age gap, kinky stuff, and so on. Most of those people get chased out of regular fan spaces (for being "gross" ) and so they are essentially hiding in private servers. There are discord servers for everything, from game translation projects, to individual fan-fictions.

As for AarinFantasy, does it need a discord server? I feel like forum based communication is dying off in favor of instant messaging platforms. I mean, it's been like this for close to a decade, just slowly growing worse. Whether this means the death of AF, I don't know. (and I don't want to think about it!)

I don't know any general subject Yaoi servers though, for what it's worth. Only specific fandom or ships.

Quote Originally Posted by anitahegerland View Post
    I find discord is already dated and crappy and mostly just a place that breeds terrible communities. I personally stay away unless it's to communicate with friends.
    Eh? Dated? But they do an update nearly every week...?

Anyway, Discord is what you make it. If you join a terrible community, nothing forces you to stay. People will make their drama anywhere online, facebook twitter you name it, there's drama there! And unless it's super specific or unpopular, odds are that there are probably at least two or three other servers for whatever you are interested in.

Or if it's minecraft, there are iike 9001 servers lolz

Yaoi Amateur

Savings

Soubi (L2)(S014) KeisukeHotsuma UB (L5)
    Luze UB (L3)Youji (L1)Seishirou (L2)
    Misaki (L1)(S083) Mikado KousukeRai / Cadis Etrama di Raizel (L8)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwilightDawn View Post
    They patched that bug in October, didn't you know?
    https://www.techradar.com/news/discord-has-patched-a-critical-security-issue

As for the thread topic... I use the discord a lot. It is especially useful for finding the fandom of so called "problematic ships", such as incest pairs, age gap, kinky stuff, and so on. Most of those people get chased out of regular fan spaces (for being "gross" ) and so they are essentially hiding in private servers. There are discord servers for everything, from game translation projects, to individual fan-fictions.

As for AarinFantasy, does it need a discord server? I feel like forum based communication is dying off in favor of instant messaging platforms. I mean, it's been like this for close to a decade, just slowly growing worse. Whether this means the death of AF, I don't know. (and I don't want to think about it!)

I don't know any general subject Yaoi servers though, for what it's worth. Only specific fandom or ships.

Eh? Dated? But they do an update nearly every week...?

Anyway, Discord is what you make it. If you join a terrible community, nothing forces you to stay. People will make their drama anywhere online, facebook twitter you name it, there's drama there! And unless it's super specific or unpopular, odds are that there are probably at least two or three other servers for whatever you are interested in.

Or if it's minecraft, there are iike 9001 servers lolz
    I believe you misunderstood my comment. I have no reason to know about the patch you mentioned because I don't use Discord. I was referring to malware in general. In 2020 Discord has had to deal with AnarchyGrabber, TroubleGrabber and NitroHack. Those are just the ones I've read about.
    Don't misunderstand, I don't think there is such a thing as a risk-free social platform.

I'm not slamming Discord and I've never advised anyone to avoid it. If I was into gaming, I'd probably take the risk.
    However, at this time Discord has nothing to offer me that I can't find elsewhere, so it's not worth the risk for me.

Yaoi Amateur

Savings

Diluc (L10)Xmas (004)Kaeya (L10)
    (Event) Forum - Tartaglia (Event) Forum - Shell Overlord(Event) Forum - Yata Misaki
    Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1
    I believe you misunderstood my comment. I have no reason to know about the patch you mentioned because I don't use Discord. I was referring to malware in general. In 2020 Discord has had to deal with AnarchyGrabber, TroubleGrabber and NitroHack. Those are just the ones I've read about.
    Don't misunderstand, I don't think there is such a thing as a risk-free social platform.

I'm not slamming Discord and I've never advised anyone to avoid it. If I was into gaming, I'd probably take the risk.
    However, at this time Discord has nothing to offer me that I can't find elsewhere, so it's not worth the risk for me.
    Well, if this will ease your worries here a bit more info on those.. Nitrohack is a version of AnarchyGrabber. TroubleGrabber is similar to both of these. At any rate, the way they work is not by hacking Discord, but by spreading a rogue file to install on the computer.

Nitrohack/Anarchy sends a fake discord link, probably in those spam emails that say "fix your password", right? Or disguised as a invite to an exclusive but popular server. The link contains a modified desktop installation of Discord which is designed to harvest system info and passwords on your computer.

TroubleGrabber works much in the same way, but rather than emails, it's sent via discord attachments. Again, not actually hacking discord itself, but sending a malicious file and hoping the end user will install it.

All of these issues can be avoided pretty much 100% by doing the following:

Install an anti-virus software on your computer, there are free ones and paid ones.

Don't install files from a website, email or other attachment you don't recognise or that looks shady.

If you click a link on a email always the URL at the top. Click it to view full URL. If it had a green shield it's usually safe. If not, be wary.

If you do download something, you can upload it on https://www.virustotal.com/gui/ which scans files with over a dozen anti-virus software for malware.

To be honest though, discord is not just for gaming. I'm in several servers for anime, each one is dedicated to a different yaoi ship. For example Kisuke/Ichigo from Bleach. Especially if it's considered "weird" or "problematic"... Those communities all went to discord rather than twitter, tumblr etc.

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Personally, I like Discord for smaller to medium sized groups, like break away groups for specific authors or sub genres. I also use it to keep up with translation releases of my favorite novels, but that means I'm slowly collecting more and more servers, so it certainly can get messy if you aren't disciplined about managing how your notifications work.

There are only a few servers I actually chat in, and they're all related to my hobbies, rather than my reading interests

I would be sad if forums like AF completely went away, since this more static format is more useful for archiving information and following whole discussions. Discord is nicer for more ephemeral, faster paced chatting

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Ai Enma (L8)Asami (L5)Nezumi (L5)
    I am on discord for a couple of small communities, in some cases related to streamers. I am there to share things about music and stuff, it has been fun. But most of these small servers are run by my friends. So I think that makes a big difference.

Yaoi Addict
    Savings

L (L10)Matt (L2)Mello (L9)
    Spike (L8)Heine (L5)Badou (L5)
    Howl (L3)Aoba (L2)Badou (L1)
    I'd be keen to join a discord but definitely feel that it would draw more away from the forums. I've been here a long time although absent for many years and I would love for the forums to keep going - but perhaps as other people suggested a discord could bring people in? Hard to find that balance!

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

To me aarinfantasy forums look like they're dying, as most other forums I know. I guess nowadays people simply prefer other kind of platforms. Having a discord server could help keeping this website alive, so I think it's worth trying.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast