aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Question about aarinfantasy encodes

Not to knock the quality of any aarinfantasy release, which are typically spot on in the translation department, but why exactly does the group continue to release hard-subbed .avi files, especially in a time where .mkv files encoded in 10-bit h264 are considered the norm?

While the .avi releases are certainly watchable, wouldn't it make sense that adapting to the new standards of the current fansubbing scene would result in a more quality release, especially in the A/V department?

Either way, thanks for the releases that you've provided, as so many shows would've been left untranslated without your efforts.

Aarin - Busy

Savings

Spacer 1PochitaSpacer 1
    (S096) Rei IzumiHeart 6 (Devil)(S095) Towa
    (S097) Misaki(S099) Dick Burnford(S098) Yuto Lennix

Hi, no problem to ask this. This has been asked since years ago actually, so I will answer it again.
    There are a few reasons and mainly because there are still people who does not play MKV files and still like hardsub files, and I encourage people to buy the original DVD for the best quality instead of just download for free to keep best quality videos.
    And like I answered to this question before, I admit that I am not a professional encoder either, so I didn't learn too much about encoding in depth nor I am able to keep up to date with encoding videos especially of late because there are other things I am concentrating on. Sorry if the videos are bad by today's standards, but my intention is just to have good subs for people to understand and watchable videos. But thanks for pointing this out though and I hope others will know why now, as I am sure there are people who wanted to ask this question as well.

Also, if you asked about "why not let other person encode it?". Well... unfortunately, there were 2 cases of bad experiences where the so-called encoders took off with my videos and scripts and disappeared without encoding anything for me. They offered to encode the videos but I got nothing and they have my raw videos and timed scripts. Later I found out that one of them wanted the raw video for free and was lazy to do their own timing, so took my timed script and translated it to their own language's sub. But that was years ago, and I didn't make a huge deal out of it and just take it as a lesson.

Hope this answers your question and understand where I am coming from.

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Wakasa (L4)Abel (L1)Minami Kenjirou (L8)
    (Event) Forum - Ritsuka Uenoyama(S078) Doumeki (chibi)(S077) Yashiro (chibi)
    MoonlightHamletAtsushi (Tiger)
    Aarin ...I just have to comment on this ...it may get me in a bit of hot water ...but What the hell ....

Prazision ....as Aarinfantasy has said many still can not play .MKV...but I actually like the hard subbed .AVI personally...I do encoding of anime from my files found in my various collections(bought and web gathered)...and find that to this very day more and more people are complaining about .mkv quality/ resolution ,,but not about .avi which are very compatible across all computer operating systems,, though it IS a personal choice what you like as your A/V files to play on your own machine..

I will state I DO use the .mkv container for dual audio rendered files..but ...my video codec is usually xvid(sometimes it is H264) and I use mp3(always!) for my audio to give everyone a chance to be able to play the files,,they are also a much smaller resolution than most out there....same reason ...to give everyone a change to play them..plus the new "mini-computers/android/tablets....seem to like both the smaller res vids and the formatt ....all that said ..

it all boils down to bigger resolution... more compressed h264/h265 ....AAC/AAC2 do not mean BETTER ....but it can mean you may miss out on a new favourite series because you can not support either the size(resolution) or the codec format( example : He-AAC2+H265 =) ...and that is a lose-lose situation with neither you nor the encoding/subbing group are happy....for them the lack of followers ...for you the lack of a much wanted title to view..

I don't mean this super long post to offend you in anyway ..its really not my intention for any such thing to happen....I just wanted to clear the waters a bit and give you an over-all "whats out-there" ...you take care and remember just because its 1080p don't go over looking an encode that's 480p or smaller just because everyone tells you "bigger is better" or that .avi is trash ....happy viewing!!

Edit : .... ...guess you can put me on that "I hate you" list .....its okay ...I don't mind ...some-ones got to be on it right ???
    Last edited by lemur7; 07-14-2014 at 06:10 PM.

Aarin - Busy

Savings

Spacer 1PochitaSpacer 1
    (S096) Rei IzumiHeart 6 (Devil)(S095) Towa
    (S097) Misaki(S099) Dick Burnford(S098) Yuto Lennix

@lemur7 ; Everyone has their own preference, but I do understand that a lot of people also likes MKV because it's the current preference of most viewers and encoders. It started when many encoders like to encode in MKV too so viewers sometimes have no choice but to follow them, since I know a lot of people don't want to either waste time re-encoding to formats of their choice or they just don't know how (not everyone are tech savvy, know about codecs or know how to use free video converters even if those are simpler to use) and some people go with what works for them... again, it really comes down to different preference. I think people can understand, so I don't think you should worry about it lemur7.

It could be good too if I can encode to both AVI and MKV but like I said, I am not a good encoder and will need time to learn how to do better encoding.