aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Yaoi Devotee
    Savings

Miyasaka (L3)Yano (L7)Sacra
    Youko Nakajima (L3)Keiki (L1)Shouryuu (L2)
    Armin SnK (L9)Jean SnK (L8)Colossal Titan (L9)

Shashable titles in both yaoi and general download section

It's actually barely related to actual points but more to my inability to understand certain classification. But since i'll post a few more links from this point on i'd really like to know why i cannot get points (since i really wouldn't mind getting them :P) for certain files even though they're more than eligible to be awarded at least considering what you can find in Yaoi section.

I perfectly understand the rule of no point awards to general uploads. I have nothing to object there.

However i have hard time understanding why can Hetalia be found in Yaoi section; a series that can hardly be considered BL, at best just shashable and the same goes for UraBoku.
    And why can we find series like Vassalord., wich in my opinion is way closer to BL label than both above titles, can be found in general section?
    There is a few more cases like this but i think for the question itself, this is more than enough.

I think there should be stricter rules about what belongs in wich section with clear definition what is Yaoi/BL and nothing goes into the section without solid prof (hello, will you put on the end Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu into Yaoi section as well, since there are some serious BL provocations in it as well?).

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

DS_002_(1)topleftMeier Link (L9)DS_002_(5)bottommid
    Pain (L13)DS_002_(6)bottomright(Event) Forum - Levi
    RyukDS_002_(4)bottomleftCatbus

Uraboku and Vassalord are Shonen-ai, according to Manga Updates. Wikipedia says that Vassalord is yaoi, Uraboku is shoujo.
    Some series are controversial when people discuss the demographics, maybe that's the case.

Yaoi Devotee
    Savings

Well i can't say much for UraBoku since all i know about it is what i've seen in anime so far. But i know that is really misleading to find Hetalia and Vassalord in the respective sections (i've read, watched, listened, etc both).
    And not just misleading, disrespectful for the series itself as well and its fans. I've seen many fans fighting against wrong classifications of questionable series. Not because the labels would done harm to the series itself but because they cannot make some people read the title just because of that label (ie. friend who dislike yaoi or have no interest in anything else than yaoi). I do knwo that this problems as such is on the scale of whole internet, but i'd really love to see this problem properly sorted out here.
    The criteria are really up to the leaders; i wouldn't even dare to say a word there... i'm just trying to say that at least the mentioned titles are obviously showing that there is no criteria what so ever, but it works based on the word of first person opening the DL theme (generalizing things here, though).
    Last edited by Chibi-Chibi; 05-07-2010 at 03:18 AM.

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Lan Zhan / Lan WangJi (L9)Heart 6 (Devil)YiLing P. (L9)
    (S029) Charles J. Chrishunds (Charley)(S027) Usami Akihiko(S028) Fushimi Saruhiko
    Loki (L10)Skull 1Tony Stark (L9)

I think the difference is that a different criteria is set for the anime section versus others. Other sections e.g. drama/Ost/manga etc are more strict on this definition, whereas the anime section appear not to be.<- this comment is for the aarinfantasy forum and not a generalised statement.

Vassalord - there's no anime for this. The manga is mostly slashable rather than outright BL.

Hetalia - there's cannon BL (chibitalia/holy roman empire).

The only exception that I can see in the Yaoi anime section which is not BL at all is Kaikan phrase. I think that was because its difficult to find. I remember that a while back a number of anime (mostly shoujo - eye-candy worthy but not BL) previously in the Yaoi section was moved to the non-yaoi section because people tend to upload the easy to get/upload ones and ignore the requests for uploading the larger BL OVA. Therefore, the only ones left in there are the BL and the rare series. I hope this makes sense, am running on 3 hours of sleep ^^;

Aarin - Busy

Savings

Spacer 1PochitaSpacer 1
    (S096) Rei IzumiHeart 6 (Devil)(S095) Towa
    (S097) Misaki(S099) Dick Burnford(S098) Yuto Lennix

Hi there, actually the reason why it happened that way is because I am encouraging sharing for the titles.

1) Hetalia and Uraboku were supposedly initial part of AarinFantasy fansub projects. The threads were opened and being shared in the BL section... and was only dropped after the show has started due to the reasons I mentioned. So I leave it there for encouraging people to share more of both shows.

2) Kaikan Phrase is a special case, not only it is hard to find but when I started sharing files before this forum back in 2004... it was the only one non-BL anime that I shared. So I am having it as part of the forum's sharing release and it will remain there as encouragement to share it out.

3) I have not heard about Vassalord and do not know if it's BL... the cover looks like it's BL though ^_^;;; Our forum staff may not know that it's BL and the initial uploader put it in General. So that's how it ended up there?

It's hard that many places classified Uraboku and Hetalia differently... but we aren't saying that it's 100% yaoi, just that I do make a few exception. Maybe a [Slash] tag at the title should be enough to tell in the section to avoid confusion?

Anyway, can you all tell me if Vassalord really should be in the BL section???
    Or you want me to make a poll for it?

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

DS_002_(1)topleftMeier Link (L9)DS_002_(5)bottommid
    Pain (L13)DS_002_(6)bottomright(Event) Forum - Levi
    RyukDS_002_(4)bottomleftCatbus

A poll sounds a nice idea, Aarin, I'm not sure myself if Vassalord is BL. In the story there are hints but not much happens, I would say is at maximum Shonen-AI (not that I'm complaining, I think even if there is no much yaoi, Vassalord is damn hot).

Yaoi Devotee
    Savings

@aarin: the most annoying part about this are not the points but the fact that i'm relaying on search function more than on index topics (i don't even remember when it was the last time i've used one). And that is eating sites bandwidth. I'm not doing that so often since i usually find my fix elsewhere but i bet lots of other members are doing the same as well.
    It would definitely be easier for me if series would actually be there were it should be (you could still make some exactions like Kaikan Phrase, etc; to still get the points, even if not in Yaoi section) - or at least if i'd know what to find where; you more or less explaind that in #1 though so it makes more sense now xD.
    But yeah, even if i speak of where a series "should be" i have no idea where Vassalord. should be. Personally i belong into the group of people that doesn't want to label this series as BL since it does have a good story and i would like some people to read it but all of them say to me know because they're convinced its BL. But like daniyagami said. Vassalord. is damn hot and a very huge tease. In Hetalia there is cannon chibitalia/holy roman empire but thats nothing compare to what you get in Vassalord (especially the last few chapters) - but thats manga. Drama give priority to the story, but there are sounds of heavy body touches and kisses (not mouth to mouth though) so on the very end still nothing happens. Also latly they started to work on the story of actual manga so there will be increase of BL elements as well.
    Poll would be better i think. I'm pretty sure that the title belongs to BL but if asked it is Yaoi or Shounen-ai ... heres were i get stuck xD . For me its not Yaoi, but Shounen-ai.... thats a hard one -.-;;
    But if a poll will be done i suggest that before that somebody goes through whole second for any other questionable titles. I've pointed out Vassalord. from general section just because i actually know it. I did not want to point at anything else based on what i've heard without actually reading the work.

P.S.: Before somebody complains. My definition of BL is Yaoi + Sounen-ai + any other heavily shashable title. While Yaoi for me means any story that focuses on relationship between 2 man and at some point ends up with sex scene as well. Same goes for Shounen-ai accept that here sex is replaced with at least one mouth to mouth kiss (saying just because sawwie-chan said she would not really put Vassalord. into BL but i would).

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Quote Originally Posted by aarinfantasy View Post
    Anyway, can you all tell me if Vassalord really should be in the BL section???
    Or you want me to make a poll for it?
    Putting my 2 cents. It DEFINITELY should be in the BL section. The manga is about a vampire gay couple ... more or less. But it's also licensed.

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Lan Zhan / Lan WangJi (L9)Heart 6 (Devil)YiLing P. (L9)
    (S029) Charles J. Chrishunds (Charley)(S027) Usami Akihiko(S028) Fushimi Saruhiko
    Loki (L10)Skull 1Tony Stark (L9)

I should clarify on my earlier statement about Vassalord.

Based on my own observation - there is a clearer distinction in the manga/cd sharing sections in the forum - i.e. only outright Yaoi/Shounen-ai (romance between two guys) are shared. Please correct me if I'm wrong ^^

Vassalord is borderline. The manga was/is being published by Mag Garden (JP) and Tokyopop (US). The home of Tactics, Mythical detective (Mag Garden only), Monochrome Factor and Gamerz Heaven. <- these could be borderline BL too. Mag Garden also published Jinki: Extend, Elemental Gelade and Aria <-- non BL, I based these on the covers ^^;

Its one of those series that are a tease without having the actual relationship spelt out. I can't speak for the latest chapters since I haven't seen those, but from what I've read it leaves it up to the reader to imagine the rest (i.e. a la loveless/KKM style). I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are a gay couple - its all up to the reader's interpretation.

A minor edit to clarify: As a reader - if you ask whether I think that they (Vassalord) are a lovey dovey gay couple behind the scenes, I would say yes because that's my interpretation.

It is because Vassalord is borderline that I do not think it would fit in the BL (manga - were it not licensed, but it is so the point is moot) and BLCD drama sections.

For the record, were the Hetalia manga not already licensed, based on the above distinction, I would not classify it as a BL manga either.
    Last edited by sawwie-chan; 05-07-2010 at 04:57 AM.