PDA

View Full Version : More space for INBOX

HEEDLESS
12-14-2013, 02:16 AM
Space NEEDED!
I don't know if this has been mention or not.. .BUT…… I think we all need more spaces for inbox.. I know I do…

Should it be an option to buy it??? :huh:

THANKS….

laketica
12-15-2013, 11:59 AM
I was thinking the same thing, but I'm not so sure it'll happen... it's kinda hard for me cuz I'm in things like RH and SAS and I have to clear my PM space for these projects :lol: and then I have my personal PMs that I may not want to delete... :thief:

Twinstar
12-15-2013, 08:45 PM
I'll have to talk to aarin about it who is very busy right now but not sure the limit will change. In the meantime, if you have to delete any pm's that you had intended to keep, please copy them into a doc file or something and then delete them if you need the room.

gollumsfriend
12-15-2013, 11:21 PM
I personally think 250 messages allowed for contributors is plenty no matter what anyone's involved in, including SAS and RH. I think the limit guarantees that those in charge of such things are checking their PM's on a regular basis - which they should be if they agreed to work on such important events in the first place.

Maybe if space is such an issue, more members need to be recruited to help with these groups in order to "spread the PM's around" or something? And I think Twinstar's idea of copying PM's to a doc file in order to delete/make some space is a good idea.

Just my opinion and I'm not asking anyone to agree with me. :oops:

AlexiaLee
12-16-2013, 12:11 AM
In addition to the copy/paste in .doc file, you can just select all the messages you want to keep and then go to the dropdown menu at the bottom right side of your inbox and select Download as TEXT.
It will save all the selected msgs as a .txt archive which you can open with most text editors.

You can also download as XML or CSV if you prefer ^^

laketica
12-16-2013, 12:27 AM
@gollum that's true... I do wonder why I have so many PMs saved cuz 250 seems like a lot. :lol: I guess it's cuz I like to save the PMs of special cards that were sent to me, as well as PMs I save as ... evidence, for some stuff... but I guess saving into a word doc will hafta be the way to do it for some stuff! :lol: and I always check my PMs... it's just that I hoard them (sometimes by choice, sometimes by necessity) XD

gollumsfriend
12-16-2013, 01:20 AM
I understand. I used to save a lot of stuff too......but after quite awhile I just read most of it one last time and learned to click delete. I haven't missed any of it. :lol:

And I know what you mean when you say "evidence"......I do still have a couple of those myself. But everything else I've wiped out. As for special cards PM's....that's what my thanks list is for, right? ^^ I don't think I've ever had more than 55 to 60 PM's in my box (including ALL subfolders) at any given time.

Schneider
12-16-2013, 10:47 AM
I'm completely against this; I'm personally involved with plenty of things for a long time too and in all these years, I've never felt 250 limit was lacking in any way. Let me bring something very crucial to notice. Before forum upgrade, the site server had nearly reached its limit. Many of you might be aware of the forum clean up drive aarin started then. The amount of space vacated off server JUST by having people delete their redundant PMs was enormous (of course other things were deleted too, but PMs contributed a significant part of freed up space). It might not seem like a big deal, but even increasing the PM limit by a little causes a lot of additional stress on server which is already handling a lot. And just because some can use that space sensibly doesn't mean every forumer will, this change impacts the entire site. Most people have habit to not clean PM boxes until they run out of limit (myself included although I do clean my inbox every few weeks), which already occupies a lot of GB on server. I can't imagine even an admin requiring 250 PM worth of space at one point for unread PMs. And for read ones, you could always just download them and back them up elsewhere. In other sites I've been to, people don't even allow this much, contributor etc doesn't matter.

Lastly, let's not confuse PM box with gmail and such. It's not unlimited space to permanently store everything. It's just a communication medium that is provided for our convenience. That's my two cents anyway.

gollumsfriend
12-16-2013, 11:09 AM
It might not seem like a big deal, but even increasing the PM limit by a little causes a lot of additional stress on server which is already handling a lot.

This was another main point I originally wanted to bring up but was afraid I'd already listed too many reasons I wasn't for the idea. >.<

celtic7irish
12-16-2013, 01:26 PM
I have been involved in SAS for three years now, two of them as an organizer, and I've never felt that 250 wasn't enough space. I regularly clean out my Sent box, which easily accounts for half of what's in there overall.

And I appreciate those who have pointed out about the server capacity, and the fact that we can download the PMs into a text file. That's what I've done for all of the SAS PMs in previous years, and what I will do once SAS for this year is over with. It makes it easier to track, while I don't have to worry about losing anything or deleting in on accident. I keep very few PMs. I think I have like 6 that have never left a Saved Folder I established sometime ago just for instances where deleting the PM would be counterproductive.

So while it's a nice thought, I'm not entirely sure that it's very practical to increase the limit beyond the 250, even if it's an 'option-to-buy' setup. And for those who aren't contributors, the 250 is just a perk for those who are. :D

HEEDLESS
12-16-2013, 02:33 PM
My proposal is to allow more users to have access to more inbox space, paying with actual money for this commodity~
I think this money would be very beneficial to the site as well because I am sure more people would pay for something like this. This money can maybe help better servers, or add more nice things into the site. It does seem like more inbox space is also something people would use too, so I feel it would help out both the users and those who manage the servers. I feel this would help a lot~ :smile:

aarinfantasy
12-16-2013, 07:38 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback~ As of now, the average users do not really need more inbox space... however, one can be allowed for extra inbox for a certain period of time if it's for some sort of contest or permission with valid reason. This has been done before for someone who ran a thread that requires a lot of people to PM her. So, technically you can do this if you ask for it from me if you have a good reason... but is not just anyone who can request because inbox is full (and do not want to delete those message, I'm sure you can delete some). Otherwise, please use as what others have suggested above for message saving.

HEEDLESS, I understand your point too~ If you are talking about the forum funds, money nowadays are tight even for every month if not for one or two regular big donors. Hopefully it gets better once I start my project next year. Thanks.

laketica
12-17-2013, 02:27 AM
*ponders* tis true, tis true... upon further self-reflection, I do realize that I had hoarded a lot more PMs than I had realized. :lol: I doubt that there will ever be anything on this forum that will require extra space for a contest or whatever reason, at least not anymore... well anyway, I rescind my thoughts of having more PM space - I think it'd be great and luxurious to have it, but it'll put too much burden on the server. ^^

Halite75
12-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Yeah, even when I was doing both RH and SAS, I was able to make do with 250--I just had to make sure I kept constantly deleting things. I think I only had my box completely fill up once. :p