PDA

View Full Version : HD Releases

accatone
09-26-2011, 06:19 PM
I already ready myself to attacks of skepticism and "it's good as it is so why to change it", but anyway. Seeing that HD is something has been invented (yes wake up it's a fact) and is getting more and more available in the fansub community and by HD we mean the release of episodes from dvd or HDTV or Bluray encoded in top quality (x264+aac in MP4 or MKV) wether SD or 720p, wouldn't be nice to start releasing any new fansubbing under theses formats?

But what I would like the most is a re-encode of the original files we already have under new formats of better quality. Technically, I've been encoding in those formats since more than 2 years, I can do it , provided I'm given access to original Raws and subtitles (srt or ssa) or I can explain step by step how to make it and give my presets of encoding, you'll just have to push start and it will do it.
The anime I would like to see re-encoded first would be princess princess but we all know a lot of good animes (80 and 90's yaoi is the best, story wise, none of the last years shit equals it, especially Junjou that I loathe!) that would benefit from a re-encode, the quality of image is really impressive and software now read anything and some portable players too (psp and xbox...).

If you like this suggestion and support the idea of revamping old animes under better quality encodes, then express it. With today's screens, old avi are all fuzzy and of poor quality, avi is definitively dead in the time of 720p and 1080p.

I'm sure if it's the right spot for this kind of suggestion, if not, let it be moved where it's more appropriate.

CyberOpus
09-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Well, AVI is better for some people who don't have high-end computers that can run 720p or 1080p. They have to resort to 480p or XviDs. I wouldn't say it's dead, but it's becoming less used because of MKV's existence.

Not only that, but most yaoi is only released on DVDs which are only 360p-480p usually. I don't know of any yaoi on BluRay as of now. If there is some, please let me know. :D

It would be nice to maybe see some clearer encodes though. Junjou was so blurry in my opinion, so a re-encode may be nice (unless they were already using the best source they could.

I do think AVI should be dropped however. MKV quality is so much better compared to AVI, and MKVs can be easily converted to work on PS3 or Xbox for those who like watching it on their TVs.

aarinfantasy
10-01-2011, 02:54 AM
HD is definitely preferred but there are people who cannot run such format, and some don't know how to run such formats, that's why xvid or avi is used.

At the same time, I am also hoping for people to buy the original DVD (most of them have Eng subs) for those who wanna watch HD or high quality instead of downloading from HD re-encode. This is also one reason that I did not go for HD encoding, though it's very tempting... I did think of making AVI and MKV versions some years back.

Though I must admit, I have not learned how to really encode in HD or high quality mkv from DVD or blueray yet.
Certain DVD raws and srt/ssa/ass files are not for sharing though because it's the team effort and needs special permission (like my raw provider), then it's not possible to give it to others to encode. Sorry accatone, can't help you with Pri-Pri though. But yes, it's always good to watch HD if given the chance... I mean, who doesn't want that? XD So you should try on some animes if you want... good luck!

~

dobioi85
12-01-2011, 02:20 AM
I tend to go for 720p and then 420p/Xvid. I do have MKV files from other sites but it doesn't matter to me, much. AVI, MKV, 420p, 720p as long I as can watch my anime I am happy. I don't really care much for HD releases out from fansubbing, but most people like it so I'm sure one day it will happen here. I will admit that even I have had seen some 1080p subs and it was a nice picture but I have and still think that it's something that isn't really needed.

@aarinfantasy - I would rather a DVD anyway. I firmly believe that one day the internet will shut down from some massive cyber attack on it where I live, so I import what and when I can. When that day happens I will be prepared with the power of having something solid in my hands. :) Power to the piece of paper! Then I would move to Japan ASAP so I would never miss out on the good stuff.

mokona666
12-02-2011, 05:24 AM
Also I think another problem is that host sites usually require paid membership to download or upload files above a certain size....which would limit the number of people able to access HD files.
I love things in high quality too, but have a watchable alternative is preferable to nothing ^^u