aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Kuroo Tetsurou (L9)Kenma Kozume (L9)Heart 5 (Red)
    Heart 5 (Red)Iwaizumi Hajime (L8)Oikawa Tooru (L9)
    Tanuma (L10)Natsume (L10)Makoto Tachibana (L6)

RAW and Subbed threads

I think this topic has been brought up before, but never on its own merit, and I don't think there has been a ruling on it, though most (I believe) are NOT in favor of it. Still I wanted to bring it up for suggestion, though I fully understand if it is ultimately voted down.

You see, I am at this point in time unable to visit any of the threads on this forum that discuss anime series I am currently watching. The exception is Bleach, because I have been so spoiled already from manga readers that I don't even care anymore. And in any case, I already argued for (and won) the creation of a non-anime manga sub-forum so that manga lovers could discuss the story without spoiling the anime-only viewers.

But now the problem is that people who watch RAWs and don't have to wait for subbed episodes are rampantly spoiling the shows for sub-only viewers (like me). Sometimes it's as silly and trivial as revealing that a character's hairstyle changes in the next episode. But recently, for example, when a pivotal scene occurred in a recent episode of a series I diligently followed, I knew immediately that the character was not dead. Why? Because I had been spoiled by RAW viewers long ago, so when that pivotal scene was shown, instead of gasping in shock, I just sighed and wished I didn't know what I already know.

So I would like to propose another sub-forum. A forum where RAW viewers can discuss the latest and greatest episode right out of Japan. The preexisting non-yaoi anime sub-forum and yaoi anime forum would be the place where those (like myself) who have to wait for subs can happily discuss their favorite series without inadvertently learning that a character has cut his hair, or, is in fact not dead.

Thoughts? I understand that we can only divide and sub-divide the forum so much. But it really pains me to no longer be able to participate in these discussions, because I have no one else to discuss anime with. So at the moment I'm just quietly watching it by myself, and even if I have something excited to talk about or gush over, I am forced to keep it to myself, for fear of being spoiled.

nemine
    My opinion: i don't see the point in doing this. sorry ^^;
    The spoiler-tabs are created for a reason, and people should already know that spoiling should only happen like this:

well of course the problem is that not all people respect the others, and continue spoiling without mercy. so, even if your suggestion goes through, it won't change the spoiler-addicts. They probably will continue spoiling. and then there is also the issue of a "spoiler". what is considered as one, and what not. Some people might not know what is counted as a spoiler.

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

I would vote for this suggestion, though I'm afraid nemine is right..
    I also stopped visiting discussion threads after seeing someone's post in Death Note's about
    How cruel was that?!?
    I have another suggestion - persistent spoilerists should get warnings from the mod team.
    Also maybe placing a button for spoiler tag in the tool bar may help. Sometimes people are just too lazy to type them manually. Or don't know how to do it.
    Last edited by suhi; 05-16-2008 at 07:59 AM.

nemine
    Thanks for the spoiler Suhi XD i totally had forgotten about that. should start watching and readin DN again
    Anyway..
    I have another suggestion - persistent spoilerists should get warnings from the mod team.
    Also maybe placing a button for spoiler tag in the tool bar may help. Sometimes people are just too lazy to type them manually. Or don't know how to do it.
    I agree with this. Not so many people know how to make spoilers, and are often too lazy to write them manually. So just like Quotes, there should be the option to wrap some text in spoilers. If it can be done of course

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Thanks guys, good ideas!

I agree that many people don't know what constitutes a spoiler. (Though, even after explaining it to some people, they will still continue to argue with me that "such-and-such" isn't really a spoiler, but those cases are few and far between.) Perhaps it should be stated in the Main Rules what constitutes a spoiler. If anything, the use of spoilers should at least be mentioned in the Main Rules.

I also think having a spoiler button would be VERY helpful! Maybe more people would use spoilers if it were simple and convenient.

I would love for mods to deal with persistant spoilers, but would they have the time to discipline each and every case? How would we alert them to each and every problem? I've considered neg repping people who spoil, but even though I'm angry and disappointed, I can't bring myself to do that to someone, even anonymously.

Atenias
    I read somewhere that Kanda will be revived when the Arc will be rebuild by Allen. And yes, Katsura cut his hair (or rather was cut), so it's not longer long anymore.

>.> Maybe it's an idea to state when you put spoilers what the latest episode was that you watch and want to discuss, so a post would look like:

I just watched the RAW version of KKM 86

Isan
    I wouldn't mind using a raw sub-forum if there was one
    Like other people said already, it is very hard to say with certainty what constitute a spoiler since I don't think everyone see everything the same way. While some details might be considered insignificant or minor to someone, there might be others who would rather not know anything at all before actually seeing it subbed (which is perfectly understandable). It just gets a little hard to separate the conversation right now with both subbed and raw fans mixed together imo

I think the spoiler button is a great idea too~!

Also, if the sub-forum idea is rejected, then maybe we could allowed to have 2 threads of the same anime, one for the sub discussions and another for the raw discussions

On a related subject, the junjo romantica anime thread is getting a bit out of control with spoilers related to both the raw and the manga, I've actually seen whole conversation on later volume summaries that should not be there at all especially when there's a junjo romantica manga thread already.
    But I also understand that considering it is an animated adaptation from a very popular manga that some discussions of the two in relation can't be helped (I'm certainly guilty of participating in that anyway), this again is probably very annoying for the anime fans that never read nor care about the manga and it might certainly spoil things
    I've seen people asking if they should be using spoiler tags in this case to be replied with "everybody already knows the story anyway" which is certainly not true.
    So concerning this particular thread, I think everyone posting in it (me included ) should be reminded of this though and try to determine if questions and such about the anime that relates to the manga should be put in spoiler tags and to move the flat out manga only conversations to it's appropriate thread.
    Last edited by Isan; 05-15-2008 at 04:48 PM.

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Quote Originally Posted by ArtemisMS View Post

Perhaps it should be stated in the Main Rules what constitutes a spoiler. If anything, the use of spoilers should at least be mentioned in the Main Rules.
    Ditto!

I've considered neg repping people who spoil, but even though I'm angry and disappointed, I can't bring myself to do that to someone, even anonymously.
    Maybe we should really negrep people for spoiling. I believe it might make them care more. The problem on my side - I can't bring myself to visit those threads anymore.
    Actually, now I remember Koutetsu Sangokushi thread. It was a very civil thread. People used spoiler tags and stated for what episode it goes - as Atenias says. Those who didn't know how to make them - asked. That's why I stayed there.

Quote Originally Posted by Atenias View Post
    I read somewhere that Kanda will be revived when the Arc will be rebuild by Allen. And yes, Katsura cut his hair (or rather was cut), so it's not longer long anymore.
    Great. just great.. this is actually considered "a spoiler" and I didn't get there yet

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Atenias, shame on you!! You're actually SPOILING in the thread about NOT SPOILING!! Why did you do that?? You just exemplified perfectly what I'm trying to fight so hard against. Now not only MY viewing experience has been tarnished, but so has suhi's.

*shakes head*

Negrepping ~ I'll consider it. Lots of people care a great deal about rep, but you know, the thing is, it's great if the negrep helps them learn, but guess what? I (and others) have still been spoiled. So this is attacking the result, not the solution. You know? Just thinking out loud here.

I also would vote for raw and subbed threads, if the sub-forum is not approved.

Atenias
    Atenias, shame on you!! You're actually SPOILING in the thread about NOT SPOILING!! Why did you do that?? You just exemplified perfectly what I'm trying to fight so hard against. Now not only MY viewing experience has been tarnished, but so has suhi's.

*shakes head*
    Well, someone has to set an example

I did not really spoil, since I did not mention the titles of the anime
    (okay, there are not much anime where the characters are called Allen and Kanda, in fact, there is only one. And there are not much Katsura's around with long hair).

I am sorry, but the devil inside me could not resist.
    Oh, did I mention that Kira is actually Yagami Light?

Back to topic: negrepping might actually works, people who spoil once will spoil twice. If you negrep, then you save other people from reading spoilers, since that person will not do it again.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast