aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

TableTop Gaming

1. unsteady
    unsteady
    I can't believe I'm joining this group...I'm such a geek.

I'm unsteady, and I play tabletop rpgs. I've taken the first step right?

However I don't play any of the ones you've listed. I play Call of Cthulhu, Unknown Armies, Dread and a little Darkmatter and Deadlands.
  2. griDbug
    griDbug
    OMG you're insane enough to play Call of Cthulhu? 8D *loves on* I only listed popular ones in general, really. ^_^

I'm a geek also (gogo geeky chicks) and I'm in love with my D&D and GURPS characters. >.>;;
  3. unsteady
    unsteady
    Insane? CoC is the greatest. I like to start a game knowing that I'll probably die or go insane and that there is nothing I can do to stop the impending doom of the world.

I've only played GURPs once, it was an interesting system and the character creation was very cool (unlimited), but I don't know any people who are interested in it so...

All my gaming friends are into D&D and Shadowrun two games that I have to say (sorry) that I don't like. D&D character creation for me is way too limiting. It's probably due to the hack and slash nature of my friends gaming styles. And the premise of Shadowrun in my honest opinion is just lame.

I'm much more into more real settings than fantasy settings. I like to have settings be as close to the "real" world as possible.
  4. griDbug
    griDbug
    Yeah I understand that, D&D is just what's around here. I'm not really a fantasy person (being an avid scifi and cyberpunk kinda gal), but it's funny what a limiting character system can do for you in terms of creativity for multiclassing.

In any case, I really do love GURPS, it's awesome to the max. And I wish someone where I am would GM CoC because it would be awesome. I think I've played one game of Mutants and Masterminds (which was only a one shot filler campaign) and I quite liked it, despite the character options seeming pretty small.

Though, if you want a game that reminds you something of like Dead Leeves (if you haven't seen it, it's an anime movie that wrecks people's brains 8D) Human Occupied Landfill is an awesome game. Despite really not being able to control your character creation (they did it on purpose haha) it's awesome trying to keep yourself alive when nearly every roll you do, you completely fail on. As a GM for it, I find it hilarious.
  5. unsteady
    unsteady
    Being a totally male dominated world, how do you find GMing? Since I'm assuming most groups would be mainly male.

Thanks for the rec. though, Human Occupied Landfill sounds...interesting. I'll definitely check that out.

I guess I should say that the quality of all games depends on the group you're gaming with. Do you have a good group? Currently I'm looking for like minded people to play with, I've got a couple fellow CoCers so far.
  6. griDbug
    griDbug
    Well, I suppose I'm not as cut-and-dry as a lot of male GMs. I have found that a lot of them tend to like just well... being down to business about the whole thing, like there was a time limit or you know, a certain way to play. I never really liked those kinds of groups, luckily I don't have one of them XD We take hours to get anything done, and some of the antics are absolutely hilarious. Like my pixie shaving off the hair of an assassin that had been permanently turned into a bunny, who failed his spot check and didn't notice there was no hair, and what hair there was left, was tied up in pink ribbons. At this point I'm not really in any serious, long running campaigns, I'd like that to change, but for now, just having fun is fine with me haha ^_^

I like stories and plot hooks - even in a game such as HoL, I find that I can still get around the fact it's hard to keep the damn players alive. I like GURPS because of all the conspiracies that I can weave in an intricate web, and the way the players can make the game turn. I like thinking on my feet a lot, so I also like players that do the same. Ones that throw me things out of left field and aren't afraid to realise gaming is a social event as well as well you know, a game.

As for most groups being male, yeah, that's totally true and where I am is pretty Christian. I had a check-out chick tell me on International D&D day that it was evil and I was going to Hell for playing D&D. I turned around and told her that Satan was my GM and Hell was rather nice around this time of year. 8D

I only play with one other girl and she's pretty new at it (she's also an Exalted fan), but a lot of the guys help her out. We have a good group like that *nods* Other than that, they're all male XD Though hopefully I'll meet a few more female gamers at GenCon this year because it's FINALLY hit Australian shores! *can't wait*
  7. unsteady
    unsteady
    Yeah, the reason why I left my last totally male dominated group was mainly the GM was so controlling. Everything had to fit into his epic plot, and if it didn't...well it didn't matter. We just were too different to get along well, I'm a very character driven person and don't care too much about plots. Whereas he was totally plot driven and could give a crap about character backgrounds etc.

So we got into little squabbles a lot. Admittedly I'm a tough player to have in a game, because if I don't think my character would be in a situation I just won't do it. I remember one time in particular I was playing Deadlands with him and he had actually sent me a letter in the mail as a hook into the adventure. I was pretty excited about it because it had to do with my character's background, which I had written a story about and given to my GM. When I arrived at the game I found that the hook was pretty much dismissed as soon as I had arrived in the location that my GM wanted me at (New Orleans) to meet other characters and have a totally unrelated adventure. Basically I said, "Screw this," and told him that my character spent whatever time he had until the next train back to Salt Lake City pursuing the hook that had originally led him to the area instead of participating in the adventure set up with the characters that were to my character complete strangers.

That's what makes me a difficult player... I guess I could be a bit more forgiving...but he had me so excited with the whole letter thing that I couldn't help but be angry.

I've only GMed one game, with only one player (my bro), I find it too hard for me... I don't know how to make a good plot for a game.
  8. griDbug
    griDbug
    I understand that. I'm not one for plots that characters don't fit into. I make them around where these characters came from, who they are and figure out how to get them all in the same place, at the same time and even if it's not in-game, I give the characters before-session time to get all that pre-game plot out of the way.

Sure they'll start off adventuring with complete strangers (if I haven't found a way to have some of them meet previously) - but in the end, there's usually always a common reason for them all to be doing what they're doing - otherwise there's no point.

Though for our one shots we usually automatically assume our characters have known each other for a while or that anyone new has been contacted for their skill to replace someone that died or something. Then again we're not really particular about anything ^_^; We're really easy going.
  9. unsteady
    unsteady
    Alright Let's do something more fun than listen to me complain. What was the funniest way one of your or a friends character died?
  10. griDbug
    griDbug
    Well that would be completely my fault, and absolutely hilarious. XD

It was one of my first D&D campaigns and I was playing a pixie (gogo +4 level adjustment XD). In any case, I had massive stats in INT and DEX and just about everything BUT WIS. We come up against these things (I actually have forgotten what they were called, but they were these huge burrowing things). In any case, we had a vampire in our party that was a total asshole.

He could fly, and decided that he would just hover 80ft in the air while we were all battling it out with these things (which was pretty easy since I was just firing off sleep arrows and putting them all to sleep). Though, what the vampire didn't notice, was that there was a 120ft cliff behind him and one of the like 1 tonne things was up there. It simply jumped off it and onto the vampire, smooshing him into the ground. Of course, him being a vampire, when he hit 0 HP he went into a gaseous form and back to his coffin (which just so happened to be in his Shadow Carriage a few metres away).

Meanwhile someone put a confuse effect on me and I'm running around screaming dirty Mary had a little lamb rhymes until I then go flying smack back into his carriage just as it goes into the shadow plane. I get inside his carriage after "making friends" with the Nightmare that pulled the damn thing and go "Oh no! He's HURT!" and cast a heal spell on him XDDD (We all know that healing actually hurts vampires... So yes, I totally just killed the vampire and my character was like "What? Oh... woops... ^_^;;")
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast