aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Advice Request

1. Gloomy Gloo
    Gloomy Gloo
    This is where you can ask for tips about how to go about a challenge or ask other setmakers about how they did certain challenges
  2. paplou
    paplou
    @biscuit: In set #3 (speed challenge), how did you make the effect of the text? (did you use dodge tool, smudge, etc?). Another thing I noticed is that you make very neat smudge set. Any tips on smudging?
  3. biscuit
    biscuit
    @pappy
    i use smudge.
    first, you need to be familiar with the smudge tool i.e. know what outcome you will get for certain brush size and the extent of the smudging associated with the opacity settings - and to make a neat/clean smudge, you just need to have a clear picture in your mind how you want it to be (cuz fixing here and there after - you'll end up with dirty smudge)

the effect of the text (and especially with text) is made with just one click and single push/drag (with the desired smudge settings)
  4. ryla
    ryla
    Thank you Gloomy for this thread For anyone:

1. Did you have a specific idea of what pictures you will be using?
    2. On an average, how many layers do your sets have?
    3. What are the first three things you do when you make a siggy?

@bowe; - Re the no textures siggy, you made - what did you use for this? I recognized Rin's face - I mean that rough "look" and what's a topaz clean?

Thank you for all your answers
  5. Wasabi2001
    Wasabi2001
    @ryla: 1. If I know how I want it to look like at the end, yes
    2. average around 10 or more
    3. render,creating a background and then tweak the first two(like the intensity of colors, erase what ever is not necessary,make two-three layers on the render for intensifying the lights-shadows etc)
    hope it helps!
  6. bowe
    bowe
    1 - Absolutely no idea. I don't know how it'd turn out until it's finished. More often than not a sig that started out pink/red ends up looking blue... I love blue so maybe that's why.
    Whoops, completely misinterpreted the question? If by pictures you mean image/render then no, I just looked into my Rin folder (I has one!) and used whatever took my fancy. If you mean textures then also a no. I experiment a lot... >_>
    2 - Really depends on picture. If I don't like it I end up working on it so much that there's well over 50+ layers. They're mostly in the 25-35 range if the text is simple and I don't abuse adjustment layers. BTW, the no textures sig had exactly 35 layers. XD
    3 - Make a black border (weird, I know XD), fill background layer with black, render picture and make backup copy. I do this before I start working on anything else. It's like clockwork, I tell ye.

For the rough texture-y feel I brushed over with a hard round brush, smudged and sharpened it (a lot). I erased parts and lowered opacity to blend it in more. Overall sig was also sharpened.

Here's a quick example:

Topaz clean is a Ps plugin that basically cleans up the image. Click for demo by PTR. Click for link to their site for more info.

Hope this helps.
  7. Miyu
    Miyu
    1. well, more or less. But it usually changes during the making progres xD
    2. I use a lot of layers... average I think around 15 or more. When working with just brushes it's usually a lot more, because I separate every brush stroke on a different layer before merging them.
    3. render, make a solid background, open all other files (textures, etc) I plan to use, or if I'm not using any external sources, I adjust the render - colors, transparency, blending, etc.

And about topaz clean, I'm wondering what's that too xD - Ah nvm, now I see the explanation...
  8. Gloomy Gloo
    Gloomy Gloo
    @ryla

1. I'm careful about picking what kind of pictures I like to work with, so yes. As in if I know how they'd turn out, then usually I have a basic idea, but they might or might not turn out the way I expect them to XD

2. Generally around 25 or more.

3. Rendering, background, lighting.
  9. Maina
    Maina
    @biscuit, For the no textures challenge set, how did you do the diagonal lines on border? Also, how did you get these effects on the sig?

1. I browse through my folders and zerochan for pretty images to use.
    2. Erm, I haven't made many so they vary a lot. Around 20?
    3. Render the image (I keep another copy as well) and find a texture as the base background.
  10. biscuit
    biscuit
    @maina

@ryla
    not able to answer any -___- because they vary a lottttt...
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast