aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Thumbs up Helpful.

Well this is really helpful. I share my computer(something very inconvenient) and I've always had the fear, since I start to be very interested in BL, that someone else in my family would discover my files, pics, etc. Thing that happend, with my brother, and was a mini caos between us, but I explained to him in a very assertive way which was all about, and he understood (luckly because he didn't bothered me anymore about it), so from there on, I haven't had any problem.

My method wich is quite simple and not very safety, but works for me with my notebook(when I use it) it's to create 2 or 3 (or more) folders with random names one inside of the other, like nouns not related to the content. Believe me, people don't get aware of what's going on inside those folders, I tasted it XD

The thing with ecrypted folders, is the probability of losing them. A friend of mine who works with computers and helps me to maintain mine told me that it's almost imposible to recover a folder wich has been ecrypted with a password after losing the pass. Once you forgot your password you're well...screwed. I know you have to be careful with that, write down the pass on a piece of paper or in a document, but you never know what could happen with that piece of important information.

But this is good to be known. How to preserve folders with your stuff and not having uncomfortable situations in the future...Thank you for the advice and the methods, they're always welcomed.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Kaname (L10)Usami Akihiko (L9)Misaki (L1)
    Masato (L7)Kaname BroXBro (L9)Souichiro (L2)
    Heart 1 (Red)Yokozawa Takafumi (L4)Kirishima Zen (L4)
    there's a very simple way to hide ur files which I use, it's by using the Extract program WinRar, u simply right click on the file u want to hide, and then click on "Add to Archive", it'll show u a window with options, u choose "Advanced" and then click on "set password" and then OK. and no one can extract this file to see it's content without the password.
    PS: remember to delet the original file after putting it to Archive or else it'll still be there and u'll get cought

Yaoi Legend

Savings

Shinohara Keiji (L13)Sebastian (L13)(Event) FaceBook - Yukina
    (Event) Forum - Rayflo(Event) IRC - Ritsu(Event) Forum - Morinaga
    (S036) Kaneki KenCharley (L8)(Event) Forum - Tatsumi Souichi

@Edrea; You'd never forget the password if you name the folder something related to the actual password. If that's too hard, list all of your folders on a post in Livejournal (set it as Private) along with the list of passwords next to it. If you don't have LJ, just email the list to yourself, so you'll never forget them.

@minervajane; You'd be wasting time zipping and unzipping files like that, no one wants to have to remember every password or look for it wherever they've saved it to open up a file. If you share a computer with someone, just hide the files through Folder Options, password protect your account, or change the icon of the folder to that of a program or some other file you'd find in Programs and stash it there.

I personally don't hide my files, I've said this before and I'll say it again: If you're over the age of 18, you shouldn't be hiding your stuff, no matter how nosy your family might be. If they find it, they'll come to you and tell you and you'll have to ask them "What were you trying to find?". Going through so much hassle to hide things :/ Easiest thing in the world is to just make an Admin account and lock it, that's it. Just make sure that no other account (or another Admin) can access it, google it if you have to.

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Rin Matsuoka (L4)Ren UnP (L3)Masato UnP (L3)
    Kotetsu (L2)Katou (L9)Shiki (L2)
    Rin Matsuoka (young) (L2)
    I'm glad that I have my personal laptop that no-one goes through, and besides, my family is not nosy
    the tips are really useful, although kinda complicated
    setting up a password or hiding the folder kind of scares me so I never tried that..

I used to do this (and still do, although there's no reason to anymore): make an invisible folder
    it's not that efficient, because you need to put it on the desktop for the trick to work, and if you use Windows 7 it's really easy to find it, but it was useful for me
    there are countless tutorials on YouTube about how to do it, and it's not even that complicated :3

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Thank you @crisislover ; it's really helpful, and it's a nice option if you're trying to hide your stuff. I'll try to use when I need it, time ago with some of the things I didn't want to be discovered I made a back-up and the only person who has access to is...me. So for now I'm like, safe. But, yes it's good to know all these alternatives.
    Last edited by Edrea; 01-01-2014 at 11:29 PM.

Yaoi Legend

Savings

Shinohara Keiji (L13)Sebastian (L13)(Event) FaceBook - Yukina
    (Event) Forum - Rayflo(Event) IRC - Ritsu(Event) Forum - Morinaga
    (S036) Kaneki KenCharley (L8)(Event) Forum - Tatsumi Souichi

Quote Originally Posted by Edrea View Post
    Thank you @crisislover ; it's really helpful, and it's a nice option if you're trying to hide your stuff. I'll try to use when I need it, time ago with some of the things I didn't want to be discovered I made a back-up and the only person who has access to is...me. So for now I'm like, safe. But, yes it's good to know all these alternatives.
    I didn't get a notification about a mention sorry! Anyway, I'm glad I was of some help

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Misaki (L1)Usami Akihiko (L9)Doumeki STWH (L9)
    Sakurai HwS (L4)Youichi HwS (L4)Yashiro STWH (L9)
    Suzuki-san
    Quote Originally Posted by gokunaruto View Post
    1. The most simple way (but the least safaety) is to hide your folders with yaoi content:
    - Right click on the folder;
    - Click Properties and then hide;
    - If the folder disappear you're ok. To find again the folder: click on tools (in documents folder), folder options, check the box "show hidden files", apply ok.
    I have my own laptop but sometimes I let my brother use it though, so I like this option.
    He knows I like BL, but I don't want him to see anything that might traumatize lol

Plus I like the idea of having
    something invisible

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

On my pc I have just on (1) account which is the administrator account. Plus I also use the libraryy ection for music/pictures/videos and so forth I use the video section for movies/yaoi/anime/AnimeMusicVideos each thing has its own folder. And the folders are Japanese icons such as a black folder with bamboo leaves in the corner. I Don't share files across the network ether. It helps hide the files. Since they need a password before they can see what is on my pc its a great way to hide things plus my computer needs a password every time it goes into sleep mode.

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Harry Potter (L3)Shiki (L9)Gunji (L6)
    Havi (L6)Valdrigue (L9)Chiga (L4)
    Shirotani Tadaomi (L8)Kurose (L8)Kokusai (L4)
    I used to just keep my yaoi files hidden on my laptop for a short time but then I remembered that my dad can just easily find them (he knows a lot about PC's, he's pretty much an expert) so I just started to put all my hardcore yaoi onto a USB and keep all my softcore yaoi/shounen-ai on my computer in a folder called Boy's Love. I don't mind my dad finding that folder because he's not homophobic and wouldn't care if they were just boy x boy kisses.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678