aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Yaoi Devotee
    Savings

Saga Masamune (L6)Heart 6 (Devil)Ritsu (L6)
    Usami (L2)Misaki (L1)(S043) Ijuuin Kyo
    Yuri Katsuki (L7)Victor Nikiforov (L7)Yuri Plisetsky (L7)

are AVG Anti-Virus and Norton compatibles? and some more questions ^.^U

Hi!

I have an old version of Norton antivirus and it works fine... but today it did something strange when I made full system scan:
    it always detected my Gozilla (download accelerator) as an adware but I just ignored the warning cuz I knew it was Gozilla and in all the years I have that program it never gave me any problems... Norton always detected my gozilla and I always ignored it (never using the "ignore in the future" thing) but today Norton didn't warn me about Gozilla!!!! (and it said my computer didn't have any viruses) so now I think maybe norton is not working propperly... what do you think?

is it maybe because I downloaded spybot and I activated the shield? it's the first time I do a full virus scan after I activated that spybot option...

anyway, my question is... since I suspect that my norton is not working well, I thought of downloading AVG because I saw some recomendations in this forum and it looks reliable... but I don't want to delet Norton! can both programs work fine together? can I use AVG to see if my norton has some hidden virus in its files?

even if both, spyboth and norton say that I don't have anything wrong, I still suspect that something it's not working right because my internet explorer freezes a lot lately (specially when I'm in this forum)... I did a "restore system" today and then I did both scans... but internet explorer keeps making some freezes

please can anybody help me and give me an advice? what do you think? am I being hipocondriac or it really seems that I have a hidden adware/malware/virus/trojan/etc...? I'd apreciate any advice

oh, and tell me if you liked AVG or if you reecommend me other antivirus which is Norton compatible... anything could help me!

oh, and lately when my computer is starting its having some "black screen" freezes... like.... first black screen with fabricant logo - "biip" - windows logo - black screen with computer info - "biip biip" - black screen again before my wallpaper and desktop appears..... and my wallpaper never appears!!! O.O neither the mouse, the icons or anything windows related. But it's not the DOS-like black screen that has the white "_" in the corner, nop, it's just the black screen before the destop appears... what could it be the problem?
    Last edited by Kirie; 07-02-2007 at 06:49 PM.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Chad (L2)Sora (L1)Al (L1)
    Ranmaru I (L1)
    My comp has trojan on it and i tried almost all the free anti virus to remove that but it didn't work. i installed AVG but it didn't get installed. i've read a lot of appreciation about AVG like it removes trojan and malicious viruses. Nortan no matter how old the version is, it will work perfectly. If you want to try AVG then i would say go ahead.I have no problem with that. Scan the entire comp including norton. there has to be something on your comp because computers don't freeze for no reason.Why don't you install firewall on your comp that will block adware spyware things or any unnecessary stuff which gets onto your comp when you are surfing.. Don't delete norton. Did you download the norton through internet or do you have a CD for that because i don't know about AVG since it didn't get installed whether it will install when you have other antivirus on your system but norton doesn't get installed when you have any other type of antiviruses. Try Avg i have no problem with that.

Fuzzy Pink Fluff Thing

Wherever Vincent is... Don't tell Sephiroth. He'll kill me for stalking his boyfriend.
    Savings

Garrus Vakarian (L10)(Event) Forum - Levi(Event) FaceBook - Yukina
    Vincent (L8)Sephiroth (L8)Chaos (L10)
    Riku (L8)Cid Raines (L8)(S051) Luciel

Well. I have both Norton and AVG. (both anti-virus and anti-spyware)
    I found that they don't always find the same kinds of viruses, and in my experience Norton has a tendency to find less than AVG. AND Norton has had huge difficulties removing some viruses that AVG removed without a problem. I had one I had to remove in Safe-mode.....Norton refused to run in safe-mode...but AVG ran fine.
    So now I usually run them both, one at a time. No problem at all.

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

Ichigo (Vizard) (L10)Xanxus (L10)Aizen (L10)
    Hitsugaya (L10)Rukia (L10)Ulquiorra (L8)

Does old norton versions allow you to download their up-to-date virus definitions and software patches or do you have to pay yearly for that? If so, it could be a false positives?

If you are running several antiviruses, you should only have 1 active resident scanner (scans continuously while you or computer is working) and the other virus scanners on demand only (inactive until you run it for a system/file scan). This is to avoid, I think, anti-virus conflicts when they scan, slow downs and other problems.

Spybot is a good anti-spyware, but it misses things so you should run other anti-spyware/adware as well just to make sure. Microsoft offers a free anti-spyware tool (Window's Defender), also Ad-aware . These are the common combo anti-spyware tools I see people have.

If you think you have problems with internet explorer, use hijackthis and post the log here. Extract, run, select system scan and save log BUT do not let it fix it, just post the log here. This analyses what services, programs etc are running, which shouldn't be.

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Ichigo Kurosaki (L10)Orihime (L3)(S012) Hollow Ichigo
    Makoto Tachibana (L6)Heart 1 (Blue)Haruka Nanase (L6)
    Sebastian (L10)Kail (L1)Sesshoumaru (L10)

If thats the problem you need to get your computer checked. It happened to me and it's not the anti virus. You just nned a pro to see your computer just to be sure

And those two work well together I both use them and I have no problems

Yaoi Devotee
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by megumi View Post
    there has to be something on your comp because computers don't freeze for no reason.Why don't you install firewall on your comp that will block adware spyware things or any unnecessary stuff which gets onto your comp when you are surfing.. Don't delete norton. Did you download the norton through internet or do you have a CD for that because i don't know about AVG since it didn't get installed whether it will install when you have other antivirus on your system but norton doesn't get installed when you have any other type of antiviruses. Try Avg i have no problem with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dm.su
    Does old norton versions allow you to download their up-to-date virus definitions and software patches or do you have to pay yearly for that? If so, it could be a false positives?
    that's what I think, "computers don't freeze for no reason"
    I don't know what are firewalls... they block hidden downloads, right? spyboth shield is bloking them right now, so does spyboth has a firewall?
    I have a legal CD of Norton 2005 and nop, it doesn't allow to update the virus definitons after one year you purshased

Quote Originally Posted by dm.su
    If you think you have problems with internet explorer, use hijackthis and post the log here. Extract, run, select system scan and save log BUT do not let it fix it, just post the log here. This analyses what services, programs etc are running, which shouldn't be.
    when I search the internet about viruses and other problems, I always see forums using that program but since I don't know very much about computers, I'm a bit afraid to use it is it safe to use it? doesn't it mess the registry or something like that? I'll download it but I'll wait for your answer to install it, thanks!

thank you guys for your help and advices!!! I'll download the AVG and I'll do a scan again (but first I'll do a defrag so I won't be online for 5-6 hours... yeah, I know, it's slooooow )
    Last edited by Kirie; 07-03-2007 at 10:05 AM.

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

With norton 2005, was it a recent install like less than a year a go, because I think you're allowed to get virus definitions or did you install it more than a year ago? If it's more than a year and your virus definitions are old, it's best to get a new anti-virus paid or use the free anti-virus like AVG, AVAST or AntiVir.

Majority of firewalls monitors your internet connection - incoming and outgoing traffic - to and from your computer and prevent unauthorized access from coming or leaving. XP and above have a firewall available for them.

Say you download a program and it starts sending out info to the internet without your knowledge. Your firewall will stop that and ask you if you allow it. Another example is your browser will access the internet and firewalls will ask if you want to allow that.

A free firewall program is ZoneAlarm.

Spybot is not a firewall and the active protection just monitors files, not your internet connection, that alter some system settings or could be potential spyware/adware. It cannot detect the virus or trojans.

The hijackthis program is not an installer, but runs just by the exe itself.

1. So double click on the Hijackthis.exe
    2. You may get a security warning saying if you want to run the program, if you're using xp.
    3. You'll get a warning message about making changes, just press ok to close the box.
    4. You'll see the main screen with several options available. Press the Do a system scan and save a log file.
    5. Notepad should open with the log entries. Copy the whole text and post it here for us to analyse.
    6. Once that's done, you can close notepad and the program (clicking the red X in the corner)

Hope that's okay to follow
    Last edited by dm.su; 07-03-2007 at 10:36 AM.

Yaoi Devotee
    Savings

I installed Norton more than a year ago so I know the virus definitions are not updated T-T I think norton has some kind of firewall, because I remember it warned me about allowing or not IP connections... it happened a few times when I was using bittornado and when my mom tried to use messenger... but it happened not more than 10 times in 2 years :s

ok, here's my log file:
    oh, I think it's important to say that the google toolbar was installed when I installed something to update video... I really don't remember what was it ^^U, I thought of uninstalling the toolbar, but it didn't gave me any problems, it blocks popups and was installed like a year ago (I think) so I never did anything to try to remove it.

Last edited by Kirie; 07-04-2007 at 04:33 PM. Reason: just to save space

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

Does GoZilla display ads in its interface, because I forgot that it supported adware/spyware and caused browser instability - not sure if they changed now but that's probably why norton keeps flagging as adware.

Also did you use to have previous norton editions installed before norton 2005?

Yaoi Devotee
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by dm.su View Post
    Does GoZilla display ads in its interface, because I forgot that it supported adware/spyware and caused browser instability - not sure if they changed now but that's probably why norton keeps flagging as adware.

Also did you use to have previous norton editions installed before norton 2005?
    well, Gozilla is suppossed to have an adware called "radiate" and it has the option to delet it, but it warns you that the program won't run if you delet it... I say "supposed" because Gozilla never never never showed me some kind of pop-up, ads or anything like that. I downloaded the program... like 4-5 years ago and I never dowloaded any update or new version. And it's not running in the "background" (I mean, it doesn't open atomatically when windows start). That's why I always ignored Norton warnings about "radiate" because I knew it was Gozilla... but the problem is that now it didn't detect it and that makes me think that norton is the one who is not working properly :s

I had Norton 2001, but that one was installed by a technician many years ago so I don't have it (and it probably was a copy ^.^U) then I bought the 2005... I really trust Norton ^^

then... does my logfile looks fine? do I have to worry for adware/spyware? or is it better to focus in finding some virus/trojan? (I'm starting to think that it is some problem with this forum :s)

thanks for your help

things I did up to now:
    1º spybot scan
    2º restore system
    3º spybot scan again
    4º norton antivirus scan
    5º defrag
    6º create a restore system point
    7º Vcleaner scan (because AVG recommendation was to run this if I thought I had a virus before install AVG. Vcleaner close itself after a while so I don't know if it found or did something... at least what I could see said something like "nothing found, no processes being analized" while it kept searching my files super fast)
    8º restore system to the created point (because after Vcleaner my computer started very very slow... like 4 minutes and before it only took 1:30 min... now it's taking 2:something minutes :s I'm not very happy, I just did a defrag, my computer should be starting faster!!!... damn vcleaner!!! >o<)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast