aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Kumaguro(S028) Fushimi Saruhiko(S032) Ruruka
    Iason Mink (chibi) (L1)Riki (chibi) (L5)Ryuichi (L10)
    (S044) Shirotani Tadaomi

Help opening ports, port forwarding, or whatever I need to do to get a P2P working?

I hope I can ask this here and that this is the right section... If not, I'm very sorry. I looked at other posts and it seemed like the right place...

So here's the thing: I'm totally Windows stupid and I'm not proud of it. 。:゚(/´△`\)゚・。 I've read as many tutorials as I could make sense out of, but nothing is working and I'm totally lost to the point of crying.

I need to open a port for a P2P application, but everything I try always results in canyouseeme.org saying the port is closed.

I've set up a static ip on my Windows computer, I believe I have a DHCP thing set up on my router, I've going into my router and set up port forwarding (putting the start and end ports and selecting TCP), I've even tried DMZ (whatever that is. I just followed the tutorial), I've set up the Windows firewall to let my selected port through, I've set the system up to allow the application through...

I have no idea where to go from here.

I have an SBG6580 Motorola that connects to a Time Capsule that creates a wifi network for everything to connect to. I'd take the Time Capsule out of the mix except I use it for storage between computers.

I tried another forum somewhere else, but they kept telling me that everything would work if I just followed the tutorials. Except something isn't working. ( ; _ ; )

I'm totally lost and confused. I worry I made a mess out of my settings.

Can anybody offer some help or direct me to a site/forum that may be able to help me?

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

Wing 1 (Left)Shou (L5)Wing 1 (Right)
    Kid (L2)Shinichi (L1)Kai (L5)
    Origami (L4)Yosuke P4 (L1)Subaru Sumeragi (L3)
    Lessie, sounds like you got through most of it, judging by how much technobabble you talked about. ^_^ You do moderately understand it by the sounds of it.

I'm guessing this was the place where you found your tutorials?
    ( Port forwarding the Motorola SBG6580 router. ) ?

But yes, the firsts steps are to make sure your computer has a static internal IP. DHCP mode on your Motorola modem is optional, from a more advanced standpoint. The only thing you really need to make sure of, is that all the devices that are connected to the Motorola device have different internal IP Addresses.

A good way to do this, is to keep the DHCP mode on, and let it do it's thing, but set a static internal IP on your computer that is at a "higher number" than the others. For example, if DHCP is on, most internal IP's start like this: 192.168.0.100, 192.168.0.101 ... etc. If you have 5 devices that use the internet, you can guarantee that at least 5 internal IP's will be used. So set up your computer's static internal IP to something like this: 192.168.0.200 <-- It's much bigger.

---

Do you remember how to set up a static internal IP on your computer? (Click the spoiler to see, I may have something different than you, so take a peek)

---

Now you mentioned using Windows Firewall, but a quick question... Are you using an AntiVirus software by any chance?

If so, let me know what it is, and I'll see if it needs to be setup to allow outside connections as well. For now, on to Windows Firewall!

---

Now lastly, we'll edit the Modem... I'll save that for another post, though. I'll let you finish with this first. I posted too big again, sorry!! Don't be daunted by the post.
    Last edited by Kojichan; 07-28-2014 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Spoiler tags to make the post look less evil....

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

(S044) Shirotani Tadaomi
    ( º ᗨ º ) Okay~!! Followed all those steps!

I'm not daunted at all! After all the tutorials I've fumbled through I really appreciate your easy to follow instructions! Thank you!!

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

J'en aiAlrighty then! ^_^; I'm glad.

Do you have an Antivirus program? I'm just wondering if you do, because I may have to guide you through a setting on it as well... In the mean time, let's get your modem going. (Sorry for the lateness of this reply)

So let's sign into your Motorola, I'm not sure what it's IP address is, but it might be something like this: http://192.168.0.1/

So go ahead and sign in. At the top there should be some tabs. Click on the 'Advanced' tab. At this point, there are two options. One is Port Forwarding, the other is DMZ (Demilitarized Zone). Gaming Consoles are usually best used for DMZ mode, especially if you only have one that goes on line. Like My PS3 is in DMZ because I can't play Assassin's Creed Online without it for some stupid reason. ;

Anywho... Port Forwarding takes a bit more time, but it reduces risks if you're setting up your computer for servers, and if there are only a few ports that need to go through.

DMZ works best if you have a buttload of ports, and/or port forwarding just really doesn't work.

Here they are!

---
    Port Fowarding:

---

DMZ Mode:

---

After you have chosen either of those options, you might have to reset your modem temporarily to refresh it's configuration, and, theoretically, things should work.

Go ahead and try your port checking. Some P2P programs will have their own ability to check to see if your ports are free, and pointing to the internets. And some online port checking programs won't explicitly see the port being open, so they aren't 100% always accurate.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

(S044) Shirotani Tadaomi
    I'm not sure if I have an antivirus program. The laptop is a hand-me-down and I'm Windows illiterate. I don't even know how to find out if I have one.... I think maybe my sister had Norton on it, but I don't know if it expired or if it's still active.

I'm feeling more pathetic with each passing post...

I followed the steps you mentioned, but I tried a few port checking sites and they said my port is still closed.
    ( ⸍╥ ㅁ ╥⸌)

The ip listed on the port checking sites list is different that the 192.168.0.200. Does that mean something?

Thank you so much for helping me with this! m( _ _ )m I really appreciate you going through all the trouble of writing everything out. ^^

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

Quote Originally Posted by truanifan678 View Post
    I'm not sure if I have an antivirus program. The laptop is a hand-me-down and I'm Windows illiterate. I don't even know how to find out if I have one.... I think maybe my sister had Norton on it, but I don't know if it expired or if it's still active.

I'm feeling more pathetic with each passing post...

I followed the steps you mentioned, but I tried a few port checking sites and they said my port is still closed.
    ( ⸍╥ ㅁ ╥⸌)

The ip listed on the port checking sites list is different that the 192.168.0.200. Does that mean something?

Thank you so much for helping me with this! m( _ _ )m I really appreciate you going through all the trouble of writing everything out. ^^

No worries! It's actually very tough to get computers to be "Open" like that on the internet, now a days, because of all the different "layers" of protection.

And yeah, for Antivirus I'm talking about things like Norton Antivirus, or others. They also have their own firewalls to try and protect your computer.

And as for the IP thing... there are two types of IP's. There's the IP address your ISP has given you, which is what you're seeing on those "What is my IP?" websites, and then there's the 'Internal IP Address'. The Internal one is what each device connected to your Modem gets. The modem only ever gets one IP address, but it has to share it with all the devices in your house. So to do this, the modem gives out Internal IP address'. An internal IP address usually starts with 192.168.*.* It's perfectly fine. ^_^

Hmm, I have a request... If you're willing to let me, and I show you how, would I be able to "navigate" on your computer? I would be able to type chat with you in real time, and see your computer, and might be able to help you with it.

If so, PM me and I'll show you a really super simple program that helps.

Something I've been thinking of since yesterday, was something I hope isn't causing the issue. Some ISP's will target specific P2P programs, and block them on purpose. Some ISP's also don't allow "Running Servers", which some P2P programs do in order to share files. (Torrents sort of do this, but they're a gray area).

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Wakasa (L4)Abel (L1)Minami Kenjirou (L8)
    (Event) Forum - Ritsuka Uenoyama(S078) Doumeki (chibi)(S077) Yashiro (chibi)
    MoonlightHamletAtsushi (Tiger)
    Hi,I have no idea if I can truly help you,,but I'll give it a try
    it actually sounds like something is in conflict .... it could just be you need to re-download what ever that P2P program your using is ....you did not mention it so ...I have no idea which one your talking about....

you can try adding in your antivirus program "allow this program" ....if its norton click on its taskbar icon somewhere in there should be the place to make that choice...

but it could very well be that your IPS is actually blocking all P2P on their end ...even though it is actually not legal to do so....they have been know it do that(eg comcast,Bell Canada,Rogers)

if I knew just what your trying to get going it would be a bit easier....
    BUT ...it could be your computer itself needs an older version of said program to be able to run it correctly

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

(S044) Shirotani Tadaomi
    Thank you so much for all the replies and for working with me. I've been really busy (had some RL junk) and haven't had a chance to stop by the forum. I apologize for not replying sooner.

It's working! I'm not sure if something changed from the last time I shut my computer down, if it was because I tried resetting the router, or what, but it's working! Thank you, thank you so much for all the help! I wouldn't have been able to get it working without the help and I'm so grateful!

Thank you so much!!
    m(_ _)m

@lemur7 the P2P program I'm using is Share EX2. I know it's not as great as Perfect Dark (or so I hear), but it was the one recommended to me to get a specific file.

Thank you so, so much! Everybody's been such a great help!

(*゚▽゚*)ノシ

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Wakasa (L4)Abel (L1)Minami Kenjirou (L8)
    (Event) Forum - Ritsuka Uenoyama(S078) Doumeki (chibi)(S077) Yashiro (chibi)
    MoonlightHamletAtsushi (Tiger)
    so very glad to hear its working now !
    best of luck getting that file you wanted...and once you do have it..enjoy!!!