aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Thread: Manga Readers

Yaoi Fan
    Savings

Manga Readers

Just discovered manga readers for the computer and I wanted to ask if any of you use them? which one do you think is the best? I saw where one has the ability to read the manga without being taken out of the zip files. So now I think I want to use one of these things. If you can when you reply can you upload a print screen so we can see what it looks like on your computer? Thanks for your help!

List of the ones I know of so far.

Also as far as manga storage goes, is their anywhere online that you can store manga and still be able to read them? The only one I know of is outlook formerly hotmail by MSN. Quality is not the best because of the small viewing area, the last time I checked.
    Last edited by JoyfullJuneBug; 04-04-2013 at 05:56 PM.

BL 'til I die!

Savings

Jaehee (L5)For Me (Xmas)Spacer 1
    Spacer 1Spacer 1Dai Lee (L5)
    Spacer 1Spacer 1Heart 4 (Rainbow)

I've used CDisplay since forever and it works perfectly fine for my manga readings habits. I like to download everything and storage it on my HD. It has all the features I need: small thumbnails, japanese reading mode (right to left), balance of the yellow color, different settings to adjust to the screen, etc. I haven't tried the others but in my opinion this one covers almost everything a manga reader needs, except when the images are not numbered with the same digits lenght >__> for example, if there's a '1' instead of '01' or '001' it goes as the old windows ordered their archives, i.e. first 1 then 10 then 11, 12, 13,... , 19, 2, 20, 21,... and so on XD

I don't read manga online so I can't help you on that.

EDIT: ah yes, as you said, it's not necessary to uncompress the .rar /.zip files to read with CDisplay ^^
    Last edited by AlexiaLee; 04-04-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Yaoi Fan
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by AlexiaLee View Post
    I've used CDisplay since forever and it works perfectly fine for my manga readings habits. I like to download everything and storage it on my HD. It has all the features I need: small thumbnails, japanese reading mode (right to left), balance of the yellow color, different settings to adjust to the screen, etc. I haven't tried the others but in my opinion this one covers almost everything a manga reader needs, except when the images are not numbered with the same digits lenght >__> for example, if there's a '1' instead of '01' or '001' it goes as the old windows ordered their archives, i.e. first 1 then 10 then 11, 12, 13,... , 19, 2, 20, 21,... and so on XD

I don't read manga online so I can't help you on that.

EDIT: ah yes, as you said, it's not necessary to uncompress the .rar /.zip files to read with CDisplay ^^
    I cry a little when I DL a manga and the pages are numbered wrong or they suddenly start to name the files differently. Ch - ch / Manga name - manga name then I have to spend the next half hour renaming files so I can get them all into one volume folder. Thanks! I'll look into CDisplay.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

If the ordering thing drives you nuts, I'd suggest filing a feature request with the creators of your favourite reader if there's some way for you to do so—writing something that'll let you reorder the pages isn't that difficult (I should know, because I did it*).

*Yes, I wrote my own manga reader many years ago. I never circulated it because I never did the last bit of polishing and debugging that would make it suitable for general use. Right now you'd either have to want the reordering and page-bookmarking features really badly, or else be on a non-Windows platform with few other readers available, to want to use it.

Yaoi Fan
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by eliddell View Post
    If the ordering thing drives you nuts, I'd suggest filing a feature request with the creators of your favourite reader if there's some way for you to do so—writing something that'll let you reorder the pages isn't that difficult (I should know, because I did it*).

*Yes, I wrote my own manga reader many years ago. I never circulated it because I never did the last bit of polishing and debugging that would make it suitable for general use. Right now you'd either have to want the reordering and page-bookmarking features really badly, or else be on a non-Windows platform with few other readers available, to want to use it.
    I think I’ll give that a try. I’ll write to the creators of Calibre ask them to add a manga viewer extension onto their E-book manager with vat renaming abilities. Thanks for the suggestion!