aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thundur Hospital

Looking for a new Laptop! Recommendations needed.

Hi,

I'm looking into getting a Windows laptop. I'm an iMac user mostly but I work a lot with people who use Windows and sometimes the compatibility issues these two OS face is really frustrating. I've been meaning to get a Windows laptop for a long while anyway but after recent events I figured I am well off getting one ASAP.

Basically I'd like to have some recommendations, prices included (if you can). Here's a list of the type of activities I'll be doing on my laptop so you can think inline of the specs:

- Graphic design: will most likely not be doing the extensive work I do on my desktop but it would be good to be able to work with large files (in the gigabytes) just in case.
    - Video editing and exporting: from as small as the web standard to high definition files
    - Gaming: mostly just VNs and emulation

Thanks in advance!

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Steve Rogers (L9)Star 1 (Yellow)Tony Stark (L9)
    Iron Man (L9)Star 1 (Yellow)Captain America (L9)
    Spacer 1Tony Stark (L10)Spacer 1

Take a look at the Asus higher end laptops which some people in my class use, we do 3d animation; different programs but we end up rendering out and needing the higher end specs to be able to function in our program and if you edit HD videos then from experience I know you would want that in a laptop.
    Good link for laptops: Best Notebook For Animation of 2012
    Dell and Asus are most recommend, I'm not a big fan of HP and most certainly do not pick any Alienware machines; they are too pricey, make so much noise when you do things it is like working with a jetpack and could be as heavy as a jetpack as well.
    I know that with Asus you can get a practically good machine that can support the majority of your work for around and maybe even just under $1000.
    I'll have to ask what laptop my friend uses cause I am sure it is under 1.5k

What kind of compatibility problems are you having? Program wise?
    Overall Macs are very good for video editing.
    Last edited by KarumA; 06-10-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Thundur Hospital
    Quote Originally Posted by KarumA View Post
    Take a look at the Asus higher end laptops which some people in my class use, we do 3d animation; different programs but we end up rendering out and needing the higher end specs to be able to function in our program and if you edit HD videos then from experience I know you would want that in a laptop. Good link for laptops: Best Notebook For Animation of 2012 Dell and Asus are most recommend, I'm not a big fan of HP and most certainly do not pick any Alienware machines; they are too pricey, make so much noise when you do things it is like working with a jetpack and could be as heavy as a jetpack as well. I know that with Asus you can get a practically good machine that can support the majority of your work for around and maybe even just under $1000. I'll have to ask what laptop my friend uses cause I am sure it is under 1.5k What kind of compatibility problems are you having? Program wise? Overall Macs are very good for video editing.
    Thanks very much for the reply!

Oh yeah Macs are great for anything that's got to do with graphic/motion works. Though if things fall to the worst I would like to be able to do the same work I do on an iMac on the Windows laptop.

As for compatibility problems, well it's a series of them and they're not just limited to programs. For example, my crew uses GoToMeeting a lot and quite often do video recordings with it. GTM has its own one of a kind codec which cannot be installed on a Mac, so even if you can read WMVs you won't be able to read a GTM encoded video. And while I don't have Microsoft Word on my current workstation the last Mac version of it that I used was really quite horrendous for a professional program when you're doing extensive work with it: I remember where I used to work (and Microsoft Office was installed on the Mac) I would still create hiccups for the Windows versions when editing with a Mac version – it's even worse with Open Office. With Open Office I don't even dare do any editing with Word files for fear of jacking it all up – and when I need to design reports for print I basically have to exclusively get PDF versions. Since I'm a one case scenario not everyone remembers this so sometimes we waste a lot of time just getting a PDF export when in theory it really shouldn't take that long (it takes what, a few seconds to export?). It's difficult when you work with a chain of people who also all have their own set of priorities.

It's little things like these which add up and waste so much time, when 80% of the time I'm already racing against the clock ); This isn't even taking into account how I cannot connect the printer and scanner to the Mac because lol, NO ROSETTA
    Last edited by Thundur Hospital; 06-28-2012 at 06:11 AM.

Yaoi Lover

Savings

I know your pain if you put it like that. Very understandable now.

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Wakasa (L4)Abel (L1)Minami Kenjirou (L8)
    (Event) Forum - Ritsuka Uenoyama(S078) Doumeki (chibi)(S077) Yashiro (chibi)
    MoonlightHamletAtsushi (Tiger)
    I personally would go with Dell ....in fact phone Dell and order your lappy right from them ...and this is why ..

when you order from them they will free of charge customize it to be optimised for what you want ....the upgraded parts of course are NOT the same prices as their lower end pieces ....they will ask you many many questions ....all to be able to fix up a machine perfect for your real needs...such as 32 bit or 64 ...your prefered OS as they now custom install Linux ,,,,actual memory needs with address extention in 32 bit machines...aka you get your full 4gigs of ram and can use it...in 64bit machines you can get up to 8gigs of ram working with address extention.....

but do be wary of 64bit though ...many programs do have issues with it...especially video rendering types....such as "Main Concept" and "Render-Man"

also I would if getting a "Windows" OS ask for Windows XP Pro....it is more stable than all the windows versions to date....and has less problems over all....

hope this helps ....(I like a few people here re-encode anime video... know your pain!)

Edit : sorry also I just remembered tell them NO "Service Pack 3" ..its very buggy and can cause random crashes and total system shut downs....no real advantages or improvements from it either ....
    Last edited by lemur7; 06-28-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Thundur Hospital
    Thanks lemur. Though what exactly is Service Pack 3?

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Wakasa (L4)Abel (L1)Minami Kenjirou (L8)
    (Event) Forum - Ritsuka Uenoyama(S078) Doumeki (chibi)(S077) Yashiro (chibi)
    MoonlightHamletAtsushi (Tiger)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundur Hospital View Post
    Thanks lemur. Though what exactly is Service Pack 3?
    its an all around update pack for windows XP ...but its total crap and very glitchy .... I've heard of computers randomly freezing/crashing and shutting down(like my own desktop ...guess whats going in my PC ....yup ...service pack 3)

Edit : also ask for the new huge hard drive ..its 500gig ...they may also have the very new 1TB(terrabyte aka 1000gigs) that will cost ..but way worth it
    Last edited by lemur7; 06-28-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Windows 7 is however not so bad.
    It isn't as horrible as Vista, I have yet to find horrible bugs in it in the 2 years I am using it right now as a multi media machine.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Gian (L4)Heart 6 (Devil)Ivan (L4)
    Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1
    Spacer 1Badou (L5)Akira TnC (L9)
    My husband has an Asus G73JH
    Newegg.com - ASUS G Series G73JH-X1 NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM&#401.60GHz&#41 17.3&#34 8GB Memory 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870

He bought it as a gaming laptop and the only issue he has had has been a noisy fan. He loves it and it's probably just great for everything you are looking for. This one is a few years old though and I'm sure they have newer models by now. But like someone else said, you should look into the higher end Asus models. I have a more basic Asus and it has been a favorite brand of mine. Of course there is always alienware but they are overrated and overpriced if you ask me.

Thundur Hospital
    Wheee, super late but thanks a lot guys! I finally settled with a solid Asus laptop which I found on sale for a steal, and I'm currently very happy with it. Since my PS3 is dead I might even use it to get into PC gaming now.

I'm also glad that you guys warned me about Alienware because during my hunt I saw some of their stuff and couldn't help but go "ooh shiny!" at all their attractive blinking "LOOK AT ME!" lights lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast