aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Kotetsu (L2)Heart 3 (Pink)Barnaby (L2)
    Bunny (L6)Heart 6 (Devil)Tiger (L6)
    Count (L3)

Question Re: Converting AVIs to DVD

I wonder if there is someone here who can help me out. I'm converting Tiger & Bunny AVIs to DVD. What would be the proper ratio to burn them in -- 4:3 or 16:9? I actually had a problem with the first few episodes of Mirage of Blaze also because the subtitles ended up being pushed down the screen so that you can't read them.

What is the proper ratio to burn AVIs to DVD so that the subs don't get pushed down?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Steve Rogers (L9)Star 1 (Yellow)Tony Stark (L9)
    Iron Man (L9)Star 1 (Yellow)Captain America (L9)
    Spacer 1Tony Stark (L10)Spacer 1

Depends on if you have a normal TV or a wide screen TV.
    4:3 normal TV (lots of old anime use this)
    16:9 Wide screen
    Normally though if you burn 16:9 and play it on a non wide screen TV you'll get black bars along the top that shrink the video into fitting so the loss of subs shouldn't be possible.
    Another thing to keep recon with is Anamorphic; it means that the video file stretches itself into place so it can be 4:3 when needed to and 16:9 when needed to.

It's odd you lost your subtitles, I don't know what you use to burn but something def went wrong in the settings.
    Normally the video file shrinks, although it is possible the subbing group didn't keep recon with the subtitle safe area; which means you have a safe area border along the edge that normally gets overshadowed by the plastic edges of the TV or falls out of screen.

Just wondering; why not just download the proper .mp4 files and then burn them with ConvertXtoDVD for an increase in not only quality but also to not have problems like this
    Last edited by KarumA; 09-04-2011 at 05:27 AM.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Count (L3)
    Thank you, thank you very much for your advice! Actually, it's my first time to try burning DVDs (Mirage of Blaze), so I was really surprised when the subtitles went down out of sight. I'm going to see first what happens if I use the 16:9 ratio before I download ConvertxtoDVD.

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Steve Rogers (L9)Star 1 (Yellow)Tony Stark (L9)
    Iron Man (L9)Star 1 (Yellow)Captain America (L9)
    Spacer 1Tony Stark (L10)Spacer 1

It might get stretched on the sides which isn't exactly pretty, by default the settings are set to automatic; so depending on the source material and what AS that uses the program follows that setting.
    Try burning without adjusting it, is my suggestion

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Count (L3)
    Quote Originally Posted by KarumA View Post
    It might get stretched on the sides which isn't exactly pretty, by default the settings are set to automatic; so depending on the source material and what AS that uses the program follows that setting.
    Try burning without adjusting it, is my suggestion
    Hello again! Actually, the first time I tried burning Mirage of Blaze, I did not do any adjustments to it using Windows DVD Maker. What happened was the subs got pushed down the screen so you couldn't read it. I think you were right when you mentioned in your previous post that the subs went beyond the safe area. When I tried to burn 2 episodes of Tiger & Bunny, I ended up burning it as 4:3 and everything got so huge on my TV. I've decided to check dimensions of the avi by first playing it on computer. I was able to find the Bakeneko arc from Ayakashi and it was obviously 4:3. Tiger 7 Bunny was longer diagonally so I'll probably burn them as 16:9 from now on.