aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Zack (L10)Heart 5 (Red)Zack (L8)
    Gintoki (L7)Minato (L6)Sasuke SB (L6)
    Makoto Tachibana (L6)Haruka Nanase (L6)Sasuke (young) (L4)

My computer turns on automatically!

Hi I have a problem with my laptop..

My computer will automatically turn itself on at 3am everyday if it was in hibernate or sleep mode. It will only do that at 3am and no other time. I am a night owl because of my job so I'm usually up at night until 1pm, which is the time I usually go to sleep. I also usually turn off my computer around this time since I'm resting.

But I don't understand why it turns on automatically, it's weird. And once it turns on, it will stay running with the the laptop shut, even though it is supposed to automatically go to sleep once I close it.

The only solutions I can think of is shutting my laptop down completely if I leave the room or do something else, but I figure that's annoying because I'm not usually away for long, just getting something to eat or watching tv, and then I'll get right back on. And the other is to just leave it on but I feel like I'm wasting power if I'm not actually on it and I don't really want to do that. I just want it to stop turning on by itself and wait for my command to turn on lol.

Please help! I don't know what's the cause of this.

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Steve Rogers (L9)Star 1 (Yellow)Tony Stark (L9)
    Iron Man (L9)Star 1 (Yellow)Captain America (L9)
    Spacer 1Tony Stark (L10)Spacer 1

Can have several causes, at boot go into the BIOS (press F2 usually gets you in there). Look around to see if you can find any setting and disable it. Usually it is because of of a setting in the BIOS (check under power management).

It could also be a WOL option: Wake on Lan. Wake-on-lan is usually found in BIOS under PnP hardware, but the category varies depending on your mobo. Secondly afterward go into device manager; Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > "Device Manager" tab
    Find your network adapter(s), right click and select "Properties". In the "Power Management" tab, uncheck "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby".

How it looks like in an ASUS mobo BIOS:
    Asus W5F 12-inch Core Duo Notebook Review | BIOS, Security, and Software

And what you should be looking for:

For others it might look like this:

IF THE ABOVE SAID IS DISABLED:

How to Automatically Turn on a Computer at a Specified Time - wikiHow

Follow the steps, but turn the options off:

Scroll to "Automatic Power Up." Select "Everyday."

This should be disabled
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KarumA; 07-15-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Yaoi Fan
    Savings

Kasamatsu (L7)Kirei (L7)Takao (L5)
    Kise (L8)Gilgamesh (L5)Vincent (L4)
    Jolly (L7)Tokiya (L5)Izuki Shun (L4)
    It's probably Windows Update... if you don't restart the computer for the updates during the day and then just let it hibernate/sleep, the update will start automatically (I think 3am is the time it's usually set to - because my laptop is set to that time to, but you can easily change it - my Windows is not in English, so I have no idea how it's called. Control Panels? And there's Windows Update) and the PC will turn on and it will stay turned on.

So you can either turn off your computer every evening (that way it should update itself) or install those actualizations whenever the PC reminds you to do it.

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Zack (L10)Heart 5 (Red)Zack (L8)
    Gintoki (L7)Minato (L6)Sasuke SB (L6)
    Makoto Tachibana (L6)Haruka Nanase (L6)Sasuke (young) (L4)
    Thank you both of you guys for your help, I ended up following both of your advice. It actually ended up being the windows update, it was set to install updates at that time. I just thought it was weird because it didn't start doing this until recently. But I thank you guys for solutions and help!