aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

(Event) Forum - Victor NikiforovHeart 1 (Red)(Event) Forum - Yuri Katsuki
    Wing 1 (Left)Yuri Plisetsky (L9)Wing 1 (Right)
    Noeru (L11)Rey (L3)DS_006_right

Turning off laptop for a long time.

Ok, so I'm living next week and unfortunately I have to leave my laptop at home. I never turn it off for more then 4 days. This time I will have to shut it down for 2 weeks.
    I need advice. It is safe to leave it shut down for so long? Do I need to do something special first? I don't want to have any problems with turning it on again.
    I'm computer stupid and have no idea how it works.
    Thank you in advance for all your sugestions.

Yaoi Expert
    Savings

Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1
    Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1
    Spacer 1Spacer 1(S041) Izumi

No, nothing happens. Just make sure you put it in a not very hot / not very cold room/place (also no moisture) in its case and you can switch it on without any problems. There are times I don't turn my laptop on for a month or more and everything is fine afterward...

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Thank you. Now I can safetly go. But next question is... How to make my parents stay away from my computer

Yaoi Expert
    Savings

Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1
    Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1
    Spacer 1Spacer 1(S041) Izumi

Why don't you password protect it? Works for me
    Good luck

Yaoi Fan

Savings

(Event) Forum - Hazuki (young)Elsa (L10)(Event) FaceBook - Yukina
    Natori (L10)(S020) YokozawaWicked (L10)
    (S040) RyoumaHakutaku (L7)(S007) Reborn
    It should be fine to turn it off that long.

What I would recommend doing, in addition to password protecting the computer, is to create a guest account in addition, that doesn't have access to all your main files, so even if it's an "urgent, urgent, urgent" situation where they insist that they use your computer, they won't have access to your files/can't install programs, etc.

And I usually hide my laptop in the wardrobe in corner, since the temperature usually stays pretty safe and it's not easily visible, etc.

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

DS_002_(1)topleftMeier Link (L9)DS_002_(5)bottommid
    Pain (L13)DS_002_(6)bottomright(Event) Forum - Levi
    RyukDS_002_(4)bottomleftCatbus

Put some anti moisture bags in the place where you are going to keep it. It helps.

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

DS_003_(1)topleftDS_003_(2)topmiddleDS_003_(3)topright
    DS_003_(4)bottomleftDS_003_(5)bottommiddleDS_003_(6)bottomright
    Izaya (L3)Shizuo (L8)Akira TnC (L9)
    If you really want to keep moisture out if it, I've heard that using rice works wonders. I overheard someone saying that it even fixed a cell-phone she dropped into the toilet. I don't think you need to go that far though. Two weeks really shouldn't be a problem.

...I hope she didn't eat that rice after she dried her phone with it.

primrose
    Wow, I didn't think moisture was such a big deal. I mean, I doubt you're gonna leave it out in the rain or anything. I've spent ages without turning on my laptop. It's not like not using your electronics will harm them in any way. It's more often the case that something goes wrong when you're actually using them, isn't it? Anyway, I own another computer which I only ever use for study, so it stays off for months during my uni breaks and so on. Absolutely no problem.

If you're concerned about moisture... well, everyone's suggested really good things, so listen to them. I myself don't do anything. I just leave my computer on my desk. The only thing that happens is that it gets covered in dust. xP

And about your parents (hahahahahahahaha). Everyone's suggested good things here, too. Would they really break into your computer? Hahaha.

Yaoi Fan

Savings

(Event) Forum - Hazuki (young)Elsa (L10)(Event) FaceBook - Yukina
    Natori (L10)(S020) YokozawaWicked (L10)
    (S040) RyoumaHakutaku (L7)(S007) Reborn
    If it's only two weeks and in the house I don't think you'd need to worry about moisture - especially in Poland, unless you were keeping it in a room with a humidifier.

Although if you live in a very humid area it can be ridiculously easy to build up moisture and after a long time it can cause issues. A friend of mine in Florida lost a lot of her books because the humidity that got trapped in the containers caused a lot of mold to grow, even though the containers were waterproof/air tight.

But I think if humidity was a problem you'd have more issues when the computer is on (the only difference in safety really is if something happened while it was off, it would take longer for you to notice)

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Thank you all for many advices. Now I now what should I do. I just put it in its case in a safe place. I don't have to worry about humidity. I have it passworded since I bought it. I also ziped and put password on all "hot files" and put them in other files. My parents have their own computer but you never know what they can do. They actually fought when we had three computers. That's why it not imposible for them to "play" with mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast