aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Is it a codec problem?

I downloaded a video by clicking on a direct download from aarinfantasy and it immediatly plays on my windows media player but I want to download it for keeping so on my player i click save as. So it saves as a .avi but I can't play it when I want click on it again.

In other words, the video only plays when I click the link from the site but when I click the saved file on my desktop it won't play (same player).

So would it be a codec problem since I originally can view the video? I've tried downloading 2 codec packs already and neither seemed to work (I'm not sure if you're suppose to restart comp after installation but the video didn't play anyhow). Any help and suggestions would be much appreciated thanks

Also maybe I'm not downloading it to my comp properly? The aarin site is in french lol so I don't know if there's an alternative way but I would think downlaoding means making a copy on my computer right?..

Yaoi Expert

Savings

Wing 1 (Left)(S019) TinkleWing 1 (Right)
    Spacer 1Heart 4 (Rainbow)Spacer 1
    Luffy (L10)Sanji (L9)Ace (L10)

Try to use VLC Videolan .

Yaoi Lover
    Savings

Crusnik 02 (L10)Kanda (L8)Timcanpy
    Tyki (L6)Cloud (L9)Kadaj (L8)
    Vincent (L8)Sephiroth (L6)Byakuya  (L3)
    If you are going to download a codec pack the one I would recommend above ALL others is the K-lite codec pack. I can watch anything after an install. You do need to be a touch IT knowledgable to install properly (I work in IT) but well worth it.

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

Shiki R (L6)Saber (L10)Ayase (L8)
    Ai Enma (L8)Yuuki (L9)Soubi (L10)
    Rukia (L10)Xmas (013)Pray for Japan

Quote Originally Posted by cybergoth View Post
    If you are going to download a codec pack the one I would recommend above ALL others is the K-lite codec pack. I can watch anything after an install. You do need to be a touch IT knowledgable to install properly (I work in IT) but well worth it.
    From a website on which I am registered. They do not suggest K-Lite since they say it is full of spywares and such. I suggest you the CCCP Project Codec Pack instead. It's one (if not THE) best codec pack you can find!

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

First question: Does it play if you go to File > Open in your video player and select the copy on your desktop?

Second question: What happens if you right-click the download link in your browser and select "Save As"?

If neither of those work, check the size of the saved file--it might be incomplete, since you're streaming it in. Typical size for a half-hour anime episode in any format except .rm or .rmvb is 150-250MB. If it's much under 100MB and not .rm or .rmvb, then it's definitely incomplete.

Yaoi Lover
    India, though I'd go anywhere with my computer and networks ^_^
    Savings

Ace (L5)Heart 1 (Blue)Luffy (L10)
    Sebastian (L13)Shanks (L8)Gray (L9)
    Sanzo (L10)Zoro (L7)Sanji (L9)

Quote Originally Posted by avenged View Post
    I downloaded a video by clicking on a direct download from aarinfantasy and it immediatly plays on my windows media player but I want to download it for keeping so on my player i click save as. So it saves as a .avi but I can't play it when I want click on it again.

In other words, the video only plays when I click the link from the site but when I click the saved file on my desktop it won't play (same player).
    Are you using Internet Explorer? In that case, you need to right-click on the link and select ' save as ', rather than the clicking on the link which downloads a buffered file and lets you view it while it's open. You won't be able to open it again from the same location again.

It really doesn't sound like a codec problem to me as you are able to play the file properly while it's being buffered. But just in case, you could use either CCCP or K-Lite, whichever you find to your taste. Both will work just fine!

Hope it helps!~ ^.^

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by eliddell View Post
    First question: Does it play if you go to File > Open in your video player and select the copy on your desktop?

Second question: What happens if you right-click the download link in your browser and select "Save As"?

If neither of those work, check the size of the saved file--it might be incomplete, since you're streaming it in. Typical size for a half-hour anime episode in any format except .rm or .rmvb is 150-250MB. If it's much under 100MB and not .rm or .rmvb, then it's definitely incomplete.
    1) It does not

2) if I right click it and use the 'save target as' I end up saving an html document and even when I open that html after 'download' it's not the same place, it just get led to a nonexisting page

3) I'll go double check the size of the file now

And I am using windows internet explorer as it's the only web browser I have (because I don't like to have multiples of things ie. browsers, media players lol I try to keep my comp more simple however I do understand why there's need for multiples)

Thanks for all your help so far :P and let me try some of the suggestions

Oh, and about downloading the codec packs last night, I uninstalled them afterwards because they didn't help the video playback lol. I downloaded the k lite and something else (not together tho, I tired one then uninstalled then tried the other one)

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Okay so I think I'm downloading right this time. It's about 250MB but it's been 1 or 2 hours of downloading and it's only at 37%, is that normal? I've never had any downloads take this long, especially when I can just stream this video and the buffering doesn't even take 30s However it's still in avi so I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that it'll play right when it's done downloading.

Yaoi Lover
    India, though I'd go anywhere with my computer and networks ^_^
    Savings

Ace (L5)Heart 1 (Blue)Luffy (L10)
    Sebastian (L13)Shanks (L8)Gray (L9)
    Sanzo (L10)Zoro (L7)Sanji (L9)

Quote Originally Posted by avenged View Post
    Okay so I think I'm downloading right this time. It's about 250MB but it's been 1 or 2 hours of downloading and it's only at 37%, is that normal? I've never had any downloads take this long, especially when I can just stream this video and the buffering doesn't even take 30s However it's still in avi so I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that it'll play right when it's done downloading.
    The download speed depends on your bandwidth and the bandwidth at which the uploader is allowing downloads. So it might turn out okay, just wait some time? xD Hopefully, it will work for you this time, heh!

( Just post whatever link is giving you so much trouble if you still can't get it done. )

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

yayyy it worked! thanks again for all of your help!! teehee