aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Jedusor

Cannot read Japanese text in-game on Japanese computer

Hello,

I'm currently trying to play Enzai, and even after installing the game under the Japanese language settings (I had switched over prior), I am unable to read the chat text (anything that's not an image) as it's all in gibberish symbols. I have Japanese language support installed on my computer, and even the title bar of the game window correctly displays 冤罪.

By all accounts it should be working, but it's not. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

-Jedusor
    Last edited by Jedusor; 09-28-2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Added more information

Yaoi Expert

Savings

Wing 1 (Left)(S019) TinkleWing 1 (Right)
    Spacer 1Heart 4 (Rainbow)Spacer 1
    Luffy (L10)Sanji (L9)Ace (L10)

Hello. Have you installed/switched the Japanese language properly? Try to take a look HERE.

Jedusor
    Yes, I did. I went to Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Advanced, and switched to Japanese under "Language for non-Unicode programs". I then restarted my computer, and proceeded to install the program. My slashes are even ¥ like they mentioned would happen.

ZSP
    That's odd...do you have it set up with AGTH and/or QuickAtlas? If you do, perhaps one of them could be causing the conflict. Another question, aside from the text, do you have any problems playing the game?

Jedusor
    I have neither of those, to the best of my knowledge. And aside from the text, the game plays perfectly. Both video, CGs, and voices are working just fine.

Anyone else have any other suggestions or ideas as to what's going on?

Thanks!
    Last edited by malary; 10-12-2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Merging double posts

Total Yaoi Freak
    Savings

Tachibana (L8)(S013) Akihito(S015) Ewon
    Tetsuo (L9)Akira (L9)Ryuichi (L10)
    (S012) Hollow IchigoMurata (L7)Akihito (L9)

i wish i could get some help on this matter too!! i tried playing gakuen heaven by switching the same unicode language and STILL all i see is script for the language!! got fustrated and gave up!!

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Ren Katakura (L8)Ibuki Takahara (L8)(S013) Akihito
    (S014) KeisukeRyouta Sasamori (L7)Souma Yukihira (L7)
    Jack Frost (L9)Todoroki Shouto (L3)Genos (L8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jedusor View Post
    Hello,

I'm currently trying to play Enzai, and even after installing the game under the Japanese language settings (I had switched over prior), I am unable to read the chat text (anything that's not an image) as it's all in gibberish symbols. I have Japanese language support installed on my computer, and even the title bar of the game window correctly displays 冤罪.

Thanks in advance!

-Jedusor
    Quote Originally Posted by loveusender View Post
    i wish i could get some help on this matter too!! i tried playing gakuen heaven by switching the same unicode language and STILL all i see is script for the language!! got fustrated and gave up!!
    I had a similar problem with another game and I just followed this advice - http://aarinfantasy.com/forum/577605-post7.html and it solved the issue.
    F

Alluvion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedusor View Post
    Hello,

Thanks in advance!

-Jedusor
    I am also having this same issue... and I've already chosen Japanese in the drop down box in Windows XP. I've switched over my language to Japanese. The East Asian languages and the installation of left-to-right languages boxes are checked. I've even gone so far as to install Microsoft's AppLocale program to ensure that there are no regional conflicts. Nothing has worked so far.

If I find the solution, I will most certainly post here. If not, I will eagerly await the reply of someone who knows how to get the in-game text to show up.

I did access a zip file that has a document that provides a clue:
    Running Enzai & Wings Innocent on Non-Japanese Windows 2000/XP/2003

This is a guide to getting the text to show up properly on Enzai when playing on a non-Japanese version of Windows NT5, even when the language for non-Unicode programs is set to Japanese.

This fix requires the Application Compatibility Toolkit, available from Microsoft.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-3159970fde94

Run the Compatibility Administrator Tool and install the Japanese Games database using the following steps:
    * File > Open
    * Browse to "japanese.sdb" and click Open
    * Right-click on the database name ("Japanese Games") and choose "Install"
    * Close the Compatibility Administrator Tool

These games will now run with proper text display with no further user intervention.

To uninstall these patches at a later time, go back to the Compatibility Administrator Tool, right-click the Japanese Games database (under "Installed Databases") and choose "Uninstall".
    The link no longer seems to work for the Compatibility Administrator Tool, but the program (version 3.0) comes with the game (at least the version that I have, anyway). My dilemma involves opening the .sdb package with this Compatibility Administrator Tool (or opening the file period).

I will update when I figure it out...

Edit: I have followed through with the steps I outlined above. I installed the Japanese patch using the Compatibility Administrator Tool. It's still not working correctly for me. I'm out of ideas. Sorry...

Edit 2: I found some useful information when I googled the problem. This may work:
    1. Make sure your copy of Windows XP is set into Japanese as the non-unicode default language, as stated above.
    2. Do a /full install/ of Enzai.
    3. Download and install the Windows Applications Compatibility Toolkit.
    4. Open the Windows Applications Compatibility Toolkit. Right click on Custom Database and select "New".
    5. A new custom database will appear below. Right click on it and select Create New > Application Fix.
    6. On the next screen, type in a name for the program to be fixed (such as "Enzai") and the name of the vendor for the program (such as "Langmaor") and then under Program file location, browse to the Enzai game folder directory and double-click on "enzai.exe". Click Next.
    7. On the next screen, keep Operating System Modes to "None" and put a checkmark next to "International" under the additional compatibility modes. Click next.
    8. For the Compatibility Fixes screen, click Next again.
    9. On the Matching Information screen, enzai.exe should already appear. Put a checkmark next to every entry listed under Main Executable. Then hit the Add File button, browse to your Enzai game directory, and select "Show All Files". Select Bgm.arc, and when it adds it to the list, checkmark both entries below it. Repeat this for Chip.arc, Ed.dat, Op.dat, Rio.arc, Se.arc, and Voice.arc. Then Click finish.
    10. You will return to the main compatibility administrator screen. Hit the "Save" button. It will ask you to enter a name for the file (you could just name it "Enzai Fix") and a location to save it to. Go ahead and save it to your Enzai game folder.
    11. Close out the Compability Toolkit. Go to your Enzai game folder, and double-click the .sdb file you saved there.
    12. Open Enzai, go to "Config" on the title screen, and there will be a drop down box that lists different fonts. (It could be something such as Lucida Console as the default). Look through and there should now be a Japanese font listed that starts with "MS". Change to this font and then start the game, and it should display the text in proper Japanese.
    Source: http://blgames.ukepile.com/install/troubleshoot.php

I will try it out myself to see if it does indeed work.
    Last edited by Alluvion; 11-03-2008 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Didn't work...

Alluvion
    I apologize for the double post. I have finally learned how to get Enzai to work properly.

There are two ways it can be done. This first way is hypothetical. The steps are listed below:

1) Do a full installation of Enzai. If you obtained Enzai from a link provided on this site, it should include the files listed in the next steps.
    2) Open the folder containing the Enzai files (the folder may be named "Enzai (Upped by aarinfantasy)).
    3) Find the self-extractor named "act30pkg". Double-click on it. It should bring up a setup prompt.
    4) Complete the setup instructions. This should install the Application Compatibility Toolkit.
    5) Return to your Enzai folder and find the .zip file titled "Enzai & Wings Innocent Text Fix". You may either open the file or extract its contents... whichever is easier for you. The .zip file will contain a readme file titled "how-to" and a .sdb file titled "japanese".
    6) Open the "how-to" readme file. Follow the instructions. The instructions are as follows:
    Running Enzai & Wings Innocent on Non-Japanese Windows 2000/XP/2003

This is a guide to getting the text to show up properly on Enzai when playing on a non-Japanese version of Windows NT5, even when the language for non-Unicode programs is set to Japanese.

This fix requires the Application Compatibility Toolkit, available from Microsoft.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...6-3159970fde94

Run the Compatibility Administrator Tool and install the Japanese Games database using the following steps:
    * File > Open
    * Browse to "japanese.sdb" and click Open
    * Right-click on the database name ("Japanese Games") and choose "Install"
    * Close the Compatibility Administrator Tool

These games will now run with proper text display with no further user intervention.

To uninstall these patches at a later time, go back to the Compatibility Administrator Tool, right-click the Japanese Games database (under "Installed Databases") and choose "Uninstall".
    7) After you have completed the instructions in the readme file (you have installed the japanese.sdb file), right click on the file and choose "open".
    8) You should see a prompt that gives you two options. One option is to choose the program (to open the file with) from a list. Select it and click on "OK".
    9) When the "Open With" window appears, click the Browse button.
    10) In the Program Files directory, double click on the "langmoar" folder. Then double click on the "enzai" folder. Double click on the enzai.exe file. The game should play.
    11) In the game menu, choose the "Config" option. You should see a box with various fonts such as Courier New and Lucida Console. Scroll through the list of fonts until you run across a Japanese looking font beginning with the letters "MS".
    12) Save your settings. This can be done by clicking on the text in the bottom right hand corner, second arrow up. You should get a prompt asking you "Yes" or "No". Click Yes.
    13) Play the game.

The second method is as follows:

1) Do Steps 1-4 as outlined in the above set of instructions.
    2) Open the Windows Applications Compatibility Toolkit. Right click on Custom Database and select "New".
    3) A new custom database will appear below. Right click on it and select Create New > Application Fix.
    4) On the next screen, type in a name for the program to be fixed (such as "Enzai") and the name of the vendor for the program (such as "Langmaor") and then under Program file location, browse to the Enzai game folder directory and double-click on "enzai.exe". Click Next.
    5) On the next screen, keep Operating System Modes to "None" and put a checkmark next to "International" under the additional compatibility modes. Click next.
    6) For the Compatibility Fixes screen, click Next again.
    7) On the Matching Information screen, enzai.exe should already appear. Put a checkmark next to every entry listed under Main Executable. Then hit the Add File button, browse to your Enzai game directory, and select "Show All Files". Select Bgm.arc, and when it adds it to the list, checkmark both entries below it. Repeat this for Chip.arc, Ed.dat, Op.dat, Rio.arc, Se.arc, and Voice.arc. Then Click finish.
    8) You will return to the main compatibility administrator screen. Hit the "Save" button. It will ask you to enter a name for the file (you could just name it "Enzai Fix") and a location to save it to. Go ahead and save it to your Enzai game folder.
    9) Close out the Compability Toolkit. Go to your Enzai game folder, and double-click the .sdb file you saved there.
    10) Open Enzai, go to "Config" on the title screen, and there will be a drop down box that lists different fonts. (It could be something such as Lucida Console as the default). Look through and there should now be a Japanese font listed that starts with "MS". Change to this font and then start the game, and it should display the text in proper Japanese.

Sources: Readme file contained in aarinfantasy's Enzai file
    http://blgames.ukepile.com/install/troubleshoot.php

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please feel free to PM me.

Jedusor
    Ah, thank you so much! I'll go ahead and give that a try and see if it works.