aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Adonis (L2)Camus (L2)Allen (L1)
    Kazuki (L1)Touya (L1)Goh (L2)

Read This Before Installing Any Japanese Games

I hope this thread is okay with the mods, if not, feel free to delete it. But I've hung out in the Codec/Game section for such a long time already, and literally every second thread is about this problem.

Okay, everyone, listen up:
    Your games will not work correctly if you do not install and switch to Japanese language support.

Yes, there is a minimal percentage of games that works without doing so, but you'll be able to count those on one hand. So you absolutely NEED to switch your language settings before installing/playing.

Here is how you do it:

Changing the system language:
    1) Go to the System Control Panel (Start --> Settings --> System Control)
    2) Select "Regional and Language Options"
    3) Click the tab "Advanced"
    4) Select "Japanese" from the drop-down menu
    5) The computer will ask if you want to re-install from the Windows CD. Select "No". The computer will now reboot.
    6) Once it has rebooted, nothing has changed, except for the backslashes showing up as Yen-symbols. This is normal. All standard programs (i.e. MS Word, Firefox, etc.) will run as expected.

Now, if you don't have Japanese support installed, there are some things to do.

Installing additional language support:
    1) Get your Windows XP CD ready. If you don't have one... things will be tougher. Please refer to the section below.
    2) If you have a CD, do the following: Select the System Control Panel.
    3) Click "Regional and Language Options".
    4) Click the tab labeled "Languages". There are two ticky boxes. The first is for installing languages with complex symbols (like Japanese and Thai) and the second one is for installing support for East Asian languages.
    5) Tick both options, then click okay.
    6) The computer should now automatically install from the CD-Rom.
    7) After the installation is complete (a reboot may be required), you can try the steps for setting your system to Japanese.

ATTENTION Windows XP Home users/people without Win XP CD-ROMs:
    If you are not running on Windows XP Professional edition, you are in a sticky situation. Unless you have the original Windows XP Home CD-ROM, Microsoft.com does not offer downloads for the East Asian language pack for you. Downloading the Win XP Pro pack will not work.

No, I have no idea why this is so. Yes, they are idiots for doing this. But a fellow user posted instructions which MIGHT enable you to still play your games:

Go to this thread for further instructions:
    http://aarinfantasy.com/forum/f52/t6..._japanese.html

And that's it. Try all of the above before doing anything else with your games.
    Last edited by aphelion_orion; 12-22-2007 at 06:44 AM.

2. + Show/Hide thank you list

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Adonis (L2)Camus (L2)Allen (L1)
    Kazuki (L1)Touya (L1)Goh (L2)
    Quick 'n' Dirty FAQ:

1. I'm not very good with computers. Why do I need to switch, anyway?
    Well, think of your doujin game and your PC as a person who speaks only Japanese and a person who speaks only English. They will not be able to communicate unless you teach one of them the other's language. Since your PC and your game are not real people, only the PC has the "ability" to "learn" a new language.

2. How do I know whether my computer has Japanese support or not?
    This is fairly simple. Visit any Japanese-language website. If the website shows up in weird symbols and gibberish instead of kanji, there is a high chance you do not have the East Asian language support installed. To be 100% sure, go to View > Encoding in your browser menu and see if you can select "Japanese" from the menu. If not, then you are missing the language pack.

3. How do I install the language pack?
    This was detailed in the above post.

4. Do I need to uninstall anything in order to get the language pack to work?
    No. You certainly do not need to uninstall/delete anything. You only need to install the additional language support for Japanese, and then switch over. Leave the other language packs alone, please. They do no harm to your computer, you, or your enjoyment of Japanese mansmut. XD

5. Help! I do not have the original Windows XP CD-Rom!
    Do not panic. Even if you do not have the original Windows CD, there is still a good chance your East Asian language pack is lying dormant on your harddrive. Simply try to follow the instructions for switching languages. If things still do not work out, please refer to this thread: http://aarinfantasy.com/forum/f52/t6..._japanese.html for additional support. There is a good chance the method detailed there will work for you.

6. But I'm scared my computer/programs will no longer work if I change the language!
    Trust me, your computer WILL work. I'm typing this post from a language-switched PC. In fact, most English-language programs will not care that you have changed to Japanese one bit. I've been running on Japanese for more than a year now - everything in my system is still displayed in perfect English (except for the backslashes, which change to Yen-symbols), and so far, the only program that has given me any trouble with running is Dreamweaver MX. MS Word, your browser, e-mail client, image program, media player etc. will all run smoothly.

7. Help, the Japanese game I'm trying to install is giving me error messages with weird symbols!!!
    Then you haven't switched to Japanese. ;P Seriously, switch languages before installing to be safe. Some games will not mind if you install them on an English PC, and will only cock up when you try to play them, but some will pitch a fit and refuse to install.

8. I haven't switched languages, and my game works fine up to a certain point/the opening movie/when I try to load a save!
    Switch languages. Really. In 90% of all cases, such errors are due to not switching.

9. But my friend said s/he is playing Silver Chaos/Lamento/Enzai/Togainu on an English PC!!!
    Then your friend is either misinformed or lying. ;P There ARE games that will work without switching languages first, but Silver Chaos, Lamento, Enzai and Togainu no Chi are not among them. In fact, 99% of games absolutely require language switching before installing and playing. The more complicated a game is, the more likely it is to require that support.

10. HELP! I'm running on Windows Vista, and my games don't work anymore!
    Ouch. Windows Vista is a toughie. I do not think too highly of this OS, because it has many compatibility issues, especially with games of any language. I'm sorry to say that I can't provide support for Windows Vista. If there is someone who can, please do it in my stead. As it is, the best help I can offer you is to get a separate harddrive and install Windows XP there.

11. HELP! I'm running on Windows 98/ME/2000!!!
    Ohh, another toughie. For language-switching on all of the above systems, please refer to this website for instructions: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Installing..._under_Windows

12. Help! I'm running on a Mac!
    Good luck at finding games that work with Macintosh, in general. I'm sorry to say but the chances of doujin games working on a Mac are not exactly great.
    Last edited by aphelion_orion; 12-23-2007 at 08:20 AM.

4. + Show/Hide thank you list

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Ah, sorry--my problem is not installing East Asian languages on my laptop (already have it done), but rather how to combine the game files -_-;

I downloaded the Kyou Kara Maou PS2 games from the BL game link (yes, all three...)--along with the emulator PCSX v. 9.4--but I'm clueless on how to put the files together, much less use PCSX >_< (<--is not a gamer)

Additionally, I'm not proficient in Japanese Someone told me that I could use a Japanese-English translation software called Atlas to help me out, but is that even possible (I've found their site, but since I don't even know how to set up the games, I'm not chancing their trial download >_>)?

Any help? I'm using Vista (BLARGH), and can send screenshots if need be.

Sankyuu~

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

If it's a PS2 game, you're going to need PCSX2 (that's probably the one you have, but there is a PS1 emulator called just PCSX--don't confuse them), a set of plugins appropriate for your platform, and a PS2 BIOS. To get the first two, go to PCSX2 Playstation 2 emulator - News--download, then go to the "GUIDE" section for configuration instructions. The BIOS is more difficult--you're going to have to either dump it yourself from a modded PS2 or download it from someone who was fool enough to upload it . Keep in mind, also, that PCSX2 won't yet play all PS2 games--some either fail to start at all or crash in the middle. Furthermore, I don't know if your translation software will even attach to a PS2 game--most such programs are intended for PC games.

Beyond that, I can't help you much, since I've never actually used PCSX2 and only keep an eye on the emulation scene out of academic interest anyway.
    Last edited by eliddell; 04-08-2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Typo (yeah, I know, silly to fix such an old post...)

Scarliett
    Keep in mind, also, that PCSX2 won't yet play all PS2 games--some either fail to start at all or crash in the middle. Furthermore, I don't know if your translation software will even attach to a PS2 game--most such programs are intended for PC games.

Sei004
    I'm having trouble with Messiah. I don't know how to install it. I download this game,i can't buy a cd
    please help me! (not good at english)

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Neuro (L5)Pray for JapanToshio (L1)
    Hiei (L2)Rai / Cadis Etrama di Raizel (L1)Stein (L1)
    Sousuke (L5)Tatsumi GK (L6)Ginko (L6)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sei004 View Post
    I'm having trouble with Messiah. I don't know how to install it. I download this game,i can't buy a cd
    please help me! (not good at english)
    if your problem is that you don't have a cd to burn the image file onto, you could download daemon tools lite and mount the image file in it's virtual cd drive.

janetvn
    WELL I know that I have to switch to Japanese before installing and playing the game, but the problem is that I don't use Windows XP. I use WIndows 7 and I don't know how to switch language with this version of Windows. Can someone help me?

Azzu03
    Quote Originally Posted by aphelion_orion View Post
    Quick 'n' Dirty FAQ:

1. I'm not very good with computers. Why do I need to switch, anyway?
    Well, think of your doujin game and your PC as a person who speaks only Japanese and a person who speaks only English. They will not be able to communicate unless you teach one of them the other's language. Since your PC and your game are not real people, only the PC has the "ability" to "learn" a new language.

2. How do I know whether my computer has Japanese support or not?
    This is fairly simple. Visit any Japanese-language website. If the website shows up in weird symbols and gibberish instead of kanji, there is a high chance you do not have the East Asian language support installed. To be 100% sure, go to View > Encoding in your browser menu and see if you can select "Japanese" from the menu. If not, then you are missing the language pack.

3. How do I install the language pack?
    This was detailed in the above post.

4. Do I need to uninstall anything in order to get the language pack to work?
    No. You certainly do not need to uninstall/delete anything. You only need to install the additional language support for Japanese, and then switch over. Leave the other language packs alone, please. They do no harm to your computer, you, or your enjoyment of Japanese mansmut. XD

5. Help! I do not have the original Windows XP CD-Rom!
    Do not panic. Even if you do not have the original Windows CD, there is still a good chance your East Asian language pack is lying dormant on your harddrive. Simply try to follow the instructions for switching languages. If things still do not work out, please refer to this thread: http://aarinfantasy.com/forum/f52/t6..._japanese.html for additional support. There is a good chance the method detailed there will work for you.

6. But I'm scared my computer/programs will no longer work if I change the language!
    Trust me, your computer WILL work. I'm typing this post from a language-switched PC. In fact, most English-language programs will not care that you have changed to Japanese one bit. I've been running on Japanese for more than a year now - everything in my system is still displayed in perfect English (except for the backslashes, which change to Yen-symbols), and so far, the only program that has given me any trouble with running is Dreamweaver MX. MS Word, your browser, e-mail client, image program, media player etc. will all run smoothly.

7. Help, the Japanese game I'm trying to install is giving me error messages with weird symbols!!!
    Then you haven't switched to Japanese. ;P Seriously, switch languages before installing to be safe. Some games will not mind if you install them on an English PC, and will only cock up when you try to play them, but some will pitch a fit and refuse to install.

8. I haven't switched languages, and my game works fine up to a certain point/the opening movie/when I try to load a save!
    Switch languages. Really. In 90% of all cases, such errors are due to not switching.

9. But my friend said s/he is playing Silver Chaos/Lamento/Enzai/Togainu on an English PC!!!
    Then your friend is either misinformed or lying. ;P There ARE games that will work without switching languages first, but Silver Chaos, Lamento, Enzai and Togainu no Chi are not among them. In fact, 99% of games absolutely require language switching before installing and playing. The more complicated a game is, the more likely it is to require that support.

10. HELP! I'm running on Windows Vista, and my games don't work anymore!
    Ouch. Windows Vista is a toughie. I do not think too highly of this OS, because it has many compatibility issues, especially with games of any language. I'm sorry to say that I can't provide support for Windows Vista. If there is someone who can, please do it in my stead. As it is, the best help I can offer you is to get a separate harddrive and install Windows XP there.

11. HELP! I'm running on Windows 98/ME/2000!!!
    Ohh, another toughie. For language-switching on all of the above systems, please refer to this website for instructions: Installing East Asian language support under Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

12. Help! I'm running on a Mac!
    Good luck at finding games that work with Macintosh, in general. I'm sorry to say but the chances of doujin games working on a Mac are not exactly great.
    Is it work properly on windows 7, cause I'm using this OS rite now o_O

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Ren Katakura (L8)Ibuki Takahara (L8)(S013) Akihito
    (S014) KeisukeRyouta Sasamori (L7)Souma Yukihira (L7)
    Jack Frost (L9)Todoroki Shouto (L3)Genos (L8)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzu03 View Post
    Is it work properly on windows 7, cause I'm using this OS rite now o_O
    For 32 bit yes for Most games, 64 bit (Vista as well) you can't play Lamento
    F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast