aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Yaoi Supporter

Savings

Rai Lamento (L9)Rai (L7)(S046) Kogitsunemaru
    Axel (L10)Tyki (L6)Alois (L6)
    Rayflo (L8)Konoe (L2)Asato (L9)

Lamento: Windows 10 update tampered with my game

I've had many MANY problems in the past with Lamento and this one is new.

The game runs just fine except:
    - no words show up on the screen
    - I can't load any data without getting an error code

Here's my folder:

temp.jpg

It's been a while since I've troubleshooted by game so I'm losing memory on what it's supposed to look like haaaaa
    Last edited by enjoiPANDAS; 02-12-2016 at 08:54 PM.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by enjoiPANDAS View Post
    I've had many MANY problems in the past with Lamento and this one is new.

The game runs just fine except:
    - no words show up on the screen
    - I can't load any data without getting an error code

Here's my folder:

temp.jpg

It's been a while since I've troubleshooted by game so I'm losing memory on what it's supposed to look like haaaaa

Uhhh, no screenie of the error itself?

Uhm, let me give the common solutions:
    1. Check system locale.

2. Check if DirectX 9.0c is installed and graphics card is updated. (This is most probable solution seeing that it seems to be a graphical problem, if black screen then nothing happens.)

Search for Microsoft DirectX 9.0c web installer. Its a file that is 300~kb in size.

Also, I've read somewhere that Graphic card updates from Windows update to Win 10 screws it over so better use the updates from the manufacturer themselves (ex. AMD graphics card update from the AMD site itself)

3. If you installed LmtDVDVer 2.00 and with eng patch, it will not work; eng patch confirmed to crash with Ver 2.00. If you did, just copy your save folder, uninstall Lamento, install it only with LmtDVDVer103 then eng patch.

I can confirm fresh install of Lamento ver 1.03 with Eng Patch in Win 10 will work, even so without compatibility settings (but to be safe side, run in Compatibility Mode under Windows XP Service Pack 3) So worst case scenario, if you still have crashing issues when loading save files using solution number 3, start over.

Also, remember to run as Admin when installing and DON'T install it to the default Folder. Install it somewhere else.
    Last edited by monokuroe; 02-12-2016 at 09:49 PM.

Yaoi Supporter

Savings

Rai Lamento (L9)Rai (L7)(S046) Kogitsunemaru
    Axel (L10)Tyki (L6)Alois (L6)
    Rayflo (L8)Konoe (L2)Asato (L9)
    Quote Originally Posted by monokuroe View Post
    Uhhh, no screenie of the error itself?

Uhm, let me give the common solutions:
    1. Check system locale.

2. Check if DirectX 9.0c is installed and graphics card is updated. (This is most probable solution seeing that it seems to be a graphical problem, if black screen then nothing happens.)

Search for Microsoft DirectX 9.0c web installer. Its a file that is 300~kb in size.

Also, I've read somewhere that Graphic card updates from Windows update to Win 10 screws it over so better use the updates from the manufacturer themselves (ex. AMD graphics card update from the AMD site itself)

3. If you installed LmtDVDVer 2.00 and with eng patch, it will not work; eng patch confirmed to crash with Ver 2.00. If you did, just copy your save folder, uninstall Lamento, install it only with LmtDVDVer103 then eng patch.

I can confirm fresh install of Lamento ver 1.03 with Eng Patch in Win 10 will work, even so without compatibility settings (but to be safe side, run in Compatibility Mode under Windows XP Service Pack 3) So worst case scenario, if you still have crashing issues when loading save files using solution number 3, start over.

Also, remember to run as Admin when installing and DON'T install it to the default Folder. Install it somewhere else.
    My locale is still Japan and I had originally installed 103 on my machine so I don't think those are the issue. I don't want to try reinstalling it from scratch unless I absolutely have to because I have tons of saved files and even if I try to save them, this will certainly wipe them. The game worked perfect for months, only recently am I facing this problem after an update.

I have Directx 12, would I need to download 9? Would this jeopardize any other functions of my computer since it sounds like a downgrade?

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by enjoiPANDAS View Post
    My locale is still Japan and I had originally installed 103 on my machine so I don't think those are the issue. I don't want to try reinstalling it from scratch unless I absolutely have to because I have tons of saved files and even if I try to save them, this will certainly wipe them. The game worked perfect for months, only recently am I facing this problem after an update.

I have Directx 12, would I need to download 9? Would this jeopardize any other functions of my computer since it sounds like a downgrade?
    It's not a downgrade. You simply download the DirectX 9.0c files so that games that reference them can use them. It will not overwrite your DirectX 12 files so it should not jeopardize anything. It's like additional files. It's like side by side with DirectX 12. You can even check that after downloading DirectX 9.0c then running dxdiag. It will show that your directX version is still 12.

Older games require certain .dlls. I'm not so sure about this, but someone said back in Win Vista/7, when older games reference the need of older DirectX .dll Windows automatically refers it to the updated .dll to use. (Which I never really had problem playing old games because I have Direct X 9.0c installed back then in my old Win 7 Laptop)

But according to Kojichan, Win 8 effed that up, and I think Win 10 too.

From my personal experience: I use epsxe emulator. The Plug-ins for those are so old. I wasn't able to use the peops sound driver because it searches for a certain .dll, which happens to be a component of DirectX 9.0c. So installing DirectX 9.0c solved the problem.

It's also from my personal experience that when you can open Lamento/Togainu no Chi/DMMd and you are only shown black screen but there is still sound playing, it's mostly a graphical rendering issue and mostly related to 2 things: DirectX or the graphics card itself.

Regarding your save files, you can back them up before uninstalling. Simply copy the SAVE folder, tuck it somewhere else. Then after installation you can simply drop the folder on the installation folder of Lamento. I've tried it. It worked for me.
    Last edited by monokuroe; 02-12-2016 at 11:01 PM.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Ah another thing, can you pinpoint out what certain update that messed your game? Because I just got installed Windows 10 update (for windows itself, not security, not office update, nor any miscellaneous) but mine still works.

I guess the difference is that I hid the graphic card update so that Windows does not download it.

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

Wing 1 (Left)Shou (L5)Wing 1 (Right)
    Kid (L2)Shinichi (L1)Kai (L5)
    Origami (L4)Yosuke P4 (L1)Subaru Sumeragi (L3)
    No text is appearing on the screen at all??? O.o Completely blank, except the textbox? Is this around a choice selection area?

Have you tried a brand new game, to see if that works?

I know you said it worked for your before hand, but I'm curious... Two fold, first, open up your fonts folder (Type into the Cortana search bar: fonts And hit enter. In the window that pops up, look for a font called "MS Gothic Regular", and make sure it's in there.

Lastly, there is a weird Lamento issue where the game "blanks" out, with no text. Not saying this might be your issue, but it seems like a good fix:

Change your System Locale (Unicode) back from Japanese to English (US), then go ahead and change it AGAIN back to Japanese. Make sure to restart your computer each time so the changes take effect. ^^

Try again, and if that doesn't work... Then...

Wow! New one on me. This was a recent Windows 10 update, was it? Hmm...

Well, if it's possible, would you mind taking a screenshot of the error message (or more?), I'm curious to see. I'll be trying this later, I think, on my Windows 10 laptop. But just in case...