aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Yaoi Devotee
    Savings

Mounting files in Linux?

I'm running Xubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin). I switched over to Linux because I had been running Windows XP, and I didn't want to use a vulnerable OS after Microsoft stopped XP support. I never had any real difficulty running games on XP, at least nothing that couldn't be figured out, but I can't seem to run anything on Linux.

The problem seems to be that there's no Linux replacement for DaemonTools. I've tried various file mounting programs, but while everything mounts the files, nothing reads the mounted files as a disc. Basically, where DaemonTools tricked XP into thinking there was a physical disc in the drive, everything I try on Linux will get the game's opening screen/install window on screen, then demand that I insert the disc, even though the file is mounted. I've tried with several games from several companies, and none of them work, because none of them register as having a disc in the drive.

Is there any way to get around this--some software I haven't found, some terminal command, upgrading/downgrading to a different version? I'm prepared to accept that there might not be any solution, but I thought I'd ask anyway--people tend to know their stuff around here. Thanks in advance.

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Basically, where DaemonTools tricked XP into thinking there was a physical disc in the drive, everything I try on Linux will get the game's opening screen/install window on screen, then demand that I insert the disc, even though the file is mounted. I've tried with several games from several companies, and none of them work, because none of them register as having a disc in the drive.
    The Problem is that the ISOs are mounted only, but the CD drive isn't emulated like when using Daemon Tools. Copy-Protection software likes to read sectors on the CD that would look diffrent on a self-burnt CD or mounted Image. But if the image is in a emulated CD-Drive it might trick the copy protection program in to thinking that there's a valid physical copy in your CD-Drive. As Daemon-Tools is a windows program ( and rated "Garbage" on WineHQ) you'll have to settle for a *nix program.

I'd suggest using CDEmu. (You can download it by executing sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:cdemu/ppa && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y install cdemu-daemon cdemu-client in a Terminal)
    When you installed CDEmu execute the following in a Terminal:
    Code:
    cdemu load 0 /path/to/your/image.iso
    If 0 is taken just increase the number until it shows up as mounted.

To unload the image just type:
    Code:
    cdemu unload 0
    If 0 was taken before please use the number you entered when mounting.

If this doesn't solve your problem i might need some additional information:

Which games in particular?
    Do those games run natively , using wine or in a VM (Virtual Machine)?

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by imbatman; 09-08-2014 at 05:01 AM.