aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Running N+C games on Windows 8

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me with something.

I've recently updated my laptop to Windows 8 (the previous version was Vista) and I had managed to run all four Nitro+Chiral games on it (Togainu, Lamento, Sweet Pool and DMMD), although it took me some time to install them at the time (except for DMMD). Shortly before the transition I created a backup for my game files and I was relatively not worried since it's basically not really different from 7 and games seem to work fine with it. (If it's any relevant, I downloaded Touhou 10 and it works just fine).

Now here are the hiccups I came across:

-I installed DMMD and used the crack but the only thing it does is show me the game screen in black and then disappearing a few seconds afterwards. I've also replaced the files in the directory with those in the update and got the same response.
    -I was going to try TnC but the files I used for my installation on Vista didn't work because according to Win8 they were corrupted. So I'm going to have to find a different source and see how it goes.
    -I installed Sweet Pool and the noDVD patch and it seemed like it was working fine but the only thing I got was the title screen with no BGM (sound effects are still on). I can access the options and continue menus but can't start the game itself.
    -Haven't tried Lamento yet but it was the hardest back on Vista, so I imagine I'm going to run into issues as well.

Am I perhaps missing something here? I have different sources about running software on Win8, some tell me it's fine, some tell me most VNs aren't compatible but if the screen does show up, you'd think it's possible. I only wanted to learn about this with regards to N+C games, since those are the only ones I'm interested in (along with Hadaka Shitsuji).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Yaoi Fan
    Savings

DS_001_leftHajime Ichinose (L4)DS_001_right
    Rob (L4)Konoe (L2)Kusuriuri (L10)
    DS_002_(1)topleftWing 1 (Left)DS_002_(2)topmid
    I'm not using Windows 8 but I don't think you are missing anything, except a possible update patch Nitro+ could release in order to fix the trouble that players like you must have encountered when updating their OS.

Have you tried re-installing the games?

Can't you go back to Vista or use Windows 7 instead? I heard several people saying that 8 is not that good by the way. Better fit for tactile media rather than laptops.

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Haruka Nanase (young) (L2)Makoto Tachibana (young) (L2)Rin Matsuoka (young) (L2)
    Nezumi (L3)Sion (L4)Aoba (L2)
    Lancer (L7)Kougami Shinya (L9)Ciel (L5)
    Quote Originally Posted by vasco View Post
    -I was going to try TnC but the files I used for my installation on Vista didn't work because according to Win8 they were corrupted. So I'm going to have to find a different source and see how it goes.
    So I've had the same questions, I did ask around on tumblr and in response someone wrote a tutorial on solving an issue with TNC on Win8 here. Not sure about installation because I haven't actually tried installing the files yet. Did you manage to make any progress with the other games? If so, help would be appreciated :'> Thank you!

EDIT: also I'm not sure if this would help but you could try Windows xp compatibility mode? (How to Run Older Programs under Windows 8 - For Dummies )

Or I suppose worst-case you could try making a Windows XP Virtual Machine using VirtualBox (google it). Basically what this does is let you run a virtual copy of XP, Vista, 7, etc. (any operating system really) with Win8 on your main machine. The only issue is that these things can take up a lot of space and be slow.
    Last edited by ClosetedYaoiFan; 07-18-2013 at 10:49 AM.