aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

One Lamento path translated, but what is the process to make a patch for it?

Hello, this summer I started playing Lamento, and I played to the %15 english patch. Afterwards, I decided to start translating it so I could understand it. (The problem with me was that I could read Japanese sentence structure, but I was too lazy to plug in vocab into a dictionary). I wasn't really doing it seriously at first, but then I started really translating it. I finished Asato's route+common route in September right before school (although school is slowing the proofreading process).

I soon realized that I would like to share my translation with other people, but there is a problem- the original lamento project is defunct. And me, I have absolutely no experience with scripts/text editing, nss files, etc., although I am willing to learn if possible.
    I've done (or tried to do) exhaustive research on the tools to extract scripts and all of that. I see that I need to use something called Nipa.exe made by Minagi, but I have no clue how to use command line programs. I can find many guides that can get a beginner started, but I still don't know how to use Comand Line in conjunction with Nipa.

It looks like Nipa is the optimal tool over crass.
    I would like to ask if anyone would be able to explain the process in using Nipa, and how to use the command line programs in doing so. I am a very dedicated translator, and I would like to learn the technical side as well.
    Thanks for any help

Yaoi Expert

Savings

Chico (L7)Lady Gaga (L1)Rai (L7)
    Asato (L9)Durer (L7)Guys (L3)
    Jose (L1)Lusca (L5)Vallewida (L2)

Quote Originally Posted by koinz999 View Post
    Hello, this summer I started playing Lamento, and I played to the  english patch. Afterwards, I decided to start translating it so I could understand it. (The problem with me was that I could read Japanese sentence structure, but I was too lazy to plug in vocab into a dictionary). I wasn't really doing it seriously at first, but then I started really translating it. I finished Asato's route+common route in September right before school (although school is slowing the proofreading process).

I soon realized that I would like to share my translation with other people, but there is a problem- the original lamento project is defunct. And me, I have absolutely no experience with scripts/text editing, nss files, etc., although I am willing to learn if possible.
    I've done (or tried to do) exhaustive research on the tools to extract scripts and all of that. I see that I need to use something called Nipa.exe made by Minagi, but I have no clue how to use command line programs. I can find many guides that can get a beginner started, but I still don't know how to use Comand Line in conjunction with Nipa.

It looks like Nipa is the optimal tool over crass.
    I would like to ask if anyone would be able to explain the process in using Nipa, and how to use the command line programs in doing so. I am a very dedicated translator, and I would like to learn the technical side as well.
    Thanks for any help
    Nipa is a command line tool, you have to access and run the program in the CMD.

The easiest way to test it:
    Make a folder on your c drive called 'nipa' and put all the nipa files in there.

run the CMD and type:
    cd c:\\
    follow that up with
    cd nipa
    and finally
    nipa.exe
    then the instructions and all will display in the CMD

I'd assist you with technical side, but I'm currently involved in a few projects and don't wanna take on anymore right now due to the increased workload.

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Wow, thank you very much for the help.I will fiddle around with this program and see what I can do (I'm trying out the instructions with a few examples and they're finally working). I understand you just finished TNC and now started on DMMD, and this much info was really a great help. I will post again only when I really need help.
    I cannot wait to get started on this!

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Just to post some of my progress:nipa patch.png

Firgured out Nipa.exe, it is pretty straightforward. Extracted nss into a folder, used Lamento's encryption- this is shown above, where the headers show (I had some trouble, but finally looks like the headers on TLWiki's page!)
    Made an NPA archive out of the files, but first, I changed one line in the script to English in Notepad to make sure it archived correctly.
    So I guess that now it's time to start the long process of copying and pasting my text into the extracted nss files, and then using nipa to make a patch archive. This was a simple process, thanks to Minagi's tools!
    For the game itself, I deleted the nss-patch file (from the original translation that stops before Ransen). but that didn't do anything. I loaded an old save, which was still in English. I forgot about the patch installer made by the original team, so I'll have to make my own patch installing program that will take out the original patch and insert mine. That looks pretty easy to do. It will be a little tricky, though. I wouldn't touch someone else's patch that isn't my own w/o permission, so my patch may be Asato's route+common route with the original untranslated. (And I'll do Rai and Bardo route as well later.) (One image won't post correctly)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by koinz999; 10-24-2012 at 08:03 AM. Reason: didn't upload image correctly

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Punctuation?

Quote Originally Posted by debono9 View Post
    Nipa is a command line tool, you have to access and run the program in the CMD.

The easiest way to test it:
    Make a folder on your c drive called 'nipa' and put all the nipa files in there.

run the CMD and type:

follow that up with

and finally

then the instructions and all will display in the CMD

I'd assist you with technical side, but I'm currently involved in a few projects and don't wanna take on anymore right now due to the increased workload.
    Hello debono, I actually have a question about punctuation.lamne.jpg
    I've gotten the English to display in the game, but commas and periods don't show up.
    I remember the DMMD post where there was a small problem in displaying non-japanese punctuation. Could you tell me how was that solved with DMMD?
    The nss files displaying the English in the above sample are in Unicode (though it's the same problem with Ansi encoding as well).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by koinz999; 10-28-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Just for my progress in general.
    The copy and pasting into the nss files will likey take some time (Most Lamento scenes are so long, although the ones near the middle and end are shorter.)
    And after fiddling around for the past week, I got the English to display in the game(there's just the punctuation problem). But I did so my taking a copy of the Lamento game before the first English patch was appied to it (Completely japanese game). Then I copied the cg-patch into the game-copy and the menus were in english there. But the original pack/repacking of npa files didn't work (not for my specific patch.). I've been experimenting, but the patch I made wasn't displaying in the game.
    So I followed the original way to install the patch (repacking npas)- but I copied my text-edited nss. files into the nss folder before I repacked it, and viola! I got the game to display smoothly in English, but I'll have to experiment some more (because when I finally release this patch, some people may not have a copy of the pre-patched game.).
    I still need to fiddle around and get the English to display with a game with the %15 patch already installed, because currently, the game skips the scenes with the edited text files altogether (for a patched game)!

Yaoi Expert

Savings

Chico (L7)Lady Gaga (L1)Rai (L7)
    Asato (L9)Durer (L7)Guys (L3)
    Jose (L1)Lusca (L5)Vallewida (L2)

Quote Originally Posted by koinz999 View Post
    Hello debono, I actually have a question about punctuation.lamne.jpg
    I've gotten the English to display in the game, but commas and periods don't show up.
    I remember the DMMD post where there was a small problem in displaying non-japanese punctuation. Could you tell me how was that solved with DMMD?
    The nss files displaying the English in the above sample are in Unicode (though it's the same problem with Ansi encoding as well).
    In DMMD to display most punctuation correctly it needs a & before it.

Ie to make "This is, a test." display correctly you'd need to write it like this:
    "This is&, a test&."

I'd suggest making a detailed post over in the Game Spot section too so people can track your progress

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Oh, you've made a great work. I'm sure all the fans of Lamento will be happy to see the game finally translated ^^

By the way, I know that Rai's path and some other scenes were translated here - OVO. Maybe, the translator will let use her part of work? If it in some way will make your tusk easier...

Thanks a lot for the hope to see Lamento finally translated in English ^^ If I can in any way help you, please, fell free to ask. Unfortunately, I don't know Japan and can't make scripts, but I'm okay in "copy&pasting"
    Last edited by Laora; 11-19-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by Laora View Post
    Oh, you've made a great work. I'm sure all the fans of Lamento will be happy to see the game finally translated ^^

By the way, I know that Rai's path and some other scenes were translated here - OVO. Maybe, the translator will let use her part of work? If it in some way will make your tusk easier...

Thanks a lot for the hope to see Lamento finally translated in English ^^ If I can in any way help you, please, fell free to ask. Unfortunately, I don't know Japan and can't make scripts, but I'm okay in "copy&pasting"
    Thanks for the support (btw, I'll go ahead and make the new thread in Game Spot like Debono suggested, which I thank for the help with punctuation!)!
    You know the thing about the copy and pasting- thanks for the offer, but I can only do copy/paste because of the way I typed up the script. Especially now as I am going back over earlier parts of the script where my Japanese was most rustic lol- there are many sentences straight out of a dictionary, mispelled or even missing, or just translated completely wrong! Sometimes I wonder what the hell I was thinking back then!
    But over the course of playing Lamento, I come to understand the story and my Japanese improved considerably. So I can read flawlessly the sentences I messed up now.
    At first I tried just proofreading where I could just hand the script over to someone else to copy/paste, but it took so long because of shortcuts, formatting, and the above mentioned problems, so now I'm doing the final draft along with correcting the mistakes. ...Sorry, did all of that make sense? lol but thanks!
    And also, I did not know about Rai's path translated (I was actually looking to do Bardo's path next)- so it would be great if they'll give me permission to insert the text into the game!)