aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yaoi Fan

Savings

Fei Long (L9)CravatIkuto (L3)
    Death the Kid (L3)Ciel (L9)(S010) Joker
    Morinaga (L9)Ayase (L8)(S004) Taki

DVD Ripper Suggestions?

I really like the quality of the yaoi anime Aarin releases. So I'm also curious what dvd ripper she uses. And if I'm not able to get that, I wouldn't mind some alternatives. I have around $300 to spend on one, so would anyone mind making some suggestions?

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Steve Rogers (L9)Star 1 (Yellow)Tony Stark (L9)
    Iron Man (L9)Star 1 (Yellow)Captain America (L9)
    Spacer 1Tony Stark (L10)Spacer 1

Do you know how fansubbing works?
    Usually the video is provided by someone else in Japan who happened to make a RAW rip from it, people then in the rest of the world make a translation and subtitles and add that to the video.
    The software used for DVD rips varies, some of the 720P files in anime like with Junjou were first ripped directly from television.
    The problem with ripping however is: you need knowledge of codec and compression types, if you rip directly uncompressed then you might end up with a file 20-30 gb big, using the right compressor shrinks down the file to the size used in fansubbing.

I don't know how many subbers we have here, though most I know do not rip from DVD as someone else in Japan usually does it for them. Because the DVD's are firstly released there. You might have better luck asking a subbing group directly or simply stick to asking for a good DVD ripper. However why do you want to rip dvd's yourself, you can find nearly anything online thesedays

Yaoi Fan

Savings

Fei Long (L9)CravatIkuto (L3)
    Death the Kid (L3)Ciel (L9)(S010) Joker
    Morinaga (L9)Ayase (L8)(S004) Taki
    Quote Originally Posted by KarumA View Post
    Why do you want to rip dvd's yourself, you can find nearly anything online thesedays
    One reason I want to so I can use some anime I have in my collection for AMVs. Some of them I have is hard to find Raw versions of because of how old the series they are. I also tried looking for english dub, but they are also hard for me to find. And when I do, they are usually low quality (grainy, blurry, etc.) or they have watermarks.
    Oh and not only that, I have yaoi anime that I want to rip. For example, I got Junjou Romantica Season 1 US release from Nozomi and Right Stuf and it has the creditless opening and ending (which I can use for AMVs).

Second Reason, is for practicing karaoke subs. Well, I haven't really practiced because I don't have the tools I need. But I'm getting there

Yaoi Veteran
    Savings

Rei (L3)Shinji (L4)Kaworu (L4)
    Aki (L7)Akihito (L4)Sono (L3)
    Reinhard (L10)Saralegui (L3)Shinobu (L6)
    1. DVDFab is the most valid at the moment and the most used. It rips all types of optic supports

2.Usually there are groups that provide raws, like Leopard and Zero Raws

Yaoi Expert
    Savings

Lelouch (young) (L1)

Talking

Ive used ALL rippers around and for beginners the best one for easiness and quality is Aimersoft DVD studio pack , clone DVD is good a tad confusing ,DVD decrypter is popular
    and i like DivXAuthor is long long long but you can set it up and get amazing results

Last edited by isarah; 05-23-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Quote Originally Posted by isarah View Post
    Do what you want cause a pirate is free You are a pirate!
    YouTube - You Are A Pirate (Lazy Town)

aptget
    I would have to agree with libertypo that DVDFab is in fact a great piece of software, kind of easy to use, and has quite a wide feature set.
    I used DVDFab to rip most of my collection of DVDs to my HDD for traveling. The beginner feature set is easy to use, but when you learn the software, you can rip it just how you want (res, volume enhancement, subs, etc).

As for open source (meaning free software), I have 2 suggestions:

Handbrake is a good piece of software, will rip with subs, without subs, or with multiple sub tracks (either hard or soft subs). Also has the ability to rip several audio tracks granted you use the MKV format). It can rip in MKV or AVI format. (AVI is the standard run of the mill normal format.)

Although considered defunct, DVD Decrypter is also a good piece of software. It has issues with some modern copy protections, but can still rip a majority of DVD into files without issue.
    Last edited by aptget; 05-23-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Yaoi Veteran
    Savings

Rei (L3)Shinji (L4)Kaworu (L4)
    Aki (L7)Akihito (L4)Sono (L3)
    Reinhard (L10)Saralegui (L3)Shinobu (L6)
    aptget ?!

aptget
    Quote Originally Posted by libertypo View Post
    aptget ?!
    awesome, it's nice to know that at least someone gets the name

Yaoi Lover

Savings

Quote Originally Posted by aptget View Post
    I would have to agree with libertypo that DVDFab is in fact a great piece of software, kind of easy to use, and has quite a wide feature set.
    I used DVDFab to rip most of my collection of DVDs to my HDD for traveling. The beginner feature set is easy to use, but when you learn the software, you can rip it just how you want (res, volume enhancement, subs, etc).

As for open source (meaning free software), I have 2 suggestions:

Handbrake is a good piece of software, will rip with subs, without subs, or with multiple sub tracks (either hard or soft subs). Also has the ability to rip several audio tracks granted you use the MKV format). It can rip in MKV or AVI format. (AVI is the standard run of the mill normal format.)

Although considered defunct, DVD Decrypter is also a good piece of software. It has issues with some modern copy protections, but can still rip a majority of DVD into files without issue.
    I would agree with the things you've said but one piece of advice for OP
    If you want to do AMV's do not rip to MKV files. Hardly any video editing program can import them, there is a hard way but that leaves you with temp files about 15 gb an episode. So you'd have to reconvert again afterward

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast