aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jedishampoo

Can't Read Subtitles on TV Screen?

Hi! I've downloaded several fansubbed anime (.avi format) and burned them to DVD to watch on my TV. However, on a couple, maybe two out of ten, the subtitles are only half-visible at the bottom of my TV screen. If there are two lines of subtitles, then the second line disappears. I've tried changing the aspect ratio on my DVD player without any luck.

(This happened with a burn of Ouran High School Host Club, and most recently with Gintama-- which I really wanted to watch!)

Does anyone know how to fix this? Thank you!

Yaoi Veteran
    Savings

Rei (L3)Shinji (L4)Kaworu (L4)
    Aki (L7)Akihito (L4)Sono (L3)
    Reinhard (L10)Saralegui (L3)Shinobu (L6)
    Quote Originally Posted by jedishampoo View Post
    Hi! I've downloaded several fansubbed anime (.avi format) and burned them to DVD to watch on my TV. However, on a couple, maybe two out of ten, the subtitles are only half-visible at the bottom of my TV screen. If there are two lines of subtitles, then the second line disappears. I've tried changing the aspect ratio on my DVD player without any luck.

(This happened with a burn of Ouran High School Host Club, and most recently with Gintama-- which I really wanted to watch!)

Does anyone know how to fix this? Thank you!
    You can't fix it, unless you have the raws and the subs and re-encode them again. Is it a hardsub ?

jedishampoo
    Quote Originally Posted by libertypo View Post
    You can't fix it, unless you have the raws and the subs and re-encode them again. Is it a hardsub ?
    It is indeed a hardsub. I was hoping there was a TV setting someone might know of, or a different way to burn, even.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

What you're probably dealing with here is something called overscan. Basically, your TV is letting part of the video slop off the edge of the screen--most of them do, or at least used to. Apparently, the files you're trying to watch were made by someone who placed the subs in the overscan area. There are several possible solutions:

1. Some TV sets will allow you to adjust their overscan. Normally, the option for this is hidden in the maintenance (not the standard) menu, which the manufacturer doesn't want anyone but repairpeople to get at. Do a websearch on your TV's make and model to see if you can find instructions on how to access it.

2. Re-encode the video with an empty border, which will lift the subs out of the overscan area. I used to use TempGEnc for this purpose when I was still on Windows, IIRC. Black columns may appear down the sides of your screen during playback, but at least you'll be able to watch the show.

3. Find a different version of the episodes that puts the subs up higher on the screen or uses softsubs, and encode from there.

4. Watch the episodes on your computer, even if the viewing conditions are suboptimal.

Yaoi Veteran
    Savings

It is indeed a hardsub. I was hoping there was a TV setting someone might know of, or a different way to burn, even.
    You can try download the subs from the numerous sub sites and load them in to the dvd player. They usually add a black band so the original subs should be covered

jedishampoo
    Quote Originally Posted by eliddell View Post
    4. Watch the episodes on your computer, even if the viewing conditions are suboptimal.
    I'll try the menu first, since I have absolutely no experience with encoding, but I was wondering all along if the computer option was going to be the solution. Darnit. Thank you very much for your time!

jedishampoo
    Quote Originally Posted by libertypo View Post
    You can try download the subs from the numerous sub sites and load them in to the dvd player. They usually add a black band so the original subs should be covered
    Another possibility-- though I've not had luck making my DVD player read subs.

Thanks for your time!

Yaoi Veteran
    Savings

Another possibility-- though I've not had luck making my DVD player read subs.

Thanks for your time!
    Just read the manual. Usually they don't accept SSA / ASS but srt

Isan
    If you switch to a widescreen TV later on in the future you shouldn't have this problem anymore, just letting you know

(Ah, and just switching your dvd player settings to "widescreen" sadly doesn't work though Been there, done that.)

ZeroxIkuto
    could it be with something on how u downloaded it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast