aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Sebastian (L8)Riki (L9)Iason (L9)
    MokonaAlucard (L3)Abel (L1)
    Lady Oscar (L2)Grell (L5)Touya (L1)
    That's sad! *hug* what if someone download the raw of gravitation and subtitle it? that problem could be solved

Yaoi Amateur

Savings

MakkachinKusaka (L7)Akizuki (L6)
    Hei (L7)Raoul (L8)Katze (L4)
    Iason (L4)Riki (L4)Taki (L2)
    Quote Originally Posted by eliddell View Post
    Most players sold in North America have always been region-locked, because most Americans don't care and the media companies have way too much power over the US economy. Australia is in a different situation entirely.

As for why things only get released in certain regions, it's because there's a large, arcane existing system of licenses and crap that are designed to allow content publishers to make more money by pricing things differently in different locations (not countries necessarily—frex, in print publishing, it used to be common to sell "first North American rights", encompassing both the US and Canada). If they don't believe there's enough money to be made in a given location, whatever company holds the rights won't license new copies to be produced there. If something produced in Japan doesn't make it to North America, it's because no one over here who was interested in publishing it was willing to pay the copyright owner's asking price.

However, a work created in a country signatory to the Berne convention (which is 98% of all the countries on Earth) is still copyrighted in any other Berne Convention country. If it weren't, all you would have to do to copy a work legally is cross the border to somewhere where the copyright didn't apply. If copyright doesn't apply, then you can copy the work without restrictions—that's what copyright is for.
    I still use a 'delightful' program called DVD Decrypter which pretty much strips any disk of its region code. So once I do that, I can rip the disk, take that file, run it through another program to compress it so I can convert to a format size I can either use on my computer or burn the resulting file to a blank DVD so I can play it on my tv's DVD player. I've built my current DVD collection this way. And since it's only for myself I'm not breaking the law...I'd have to distribute the resulting file.

{quote]sakurayukishiro
    That's sad! *hug* what if someone download the raw of gravitation and subtitle it? that problem could be solved[/quote]

If you plan to only keep it for your own personal use, that's not a problem or shouldn't present a problem. However, because this series is under license now if you try to distribute the sub you did, you'd be breaking the law, i.e., infringing copyright.

Yaoi Supporter
    Savings

Sebastian (L8)Riki (L9)Iason (L9)
    MokonaAlucard (L3)Abel (L1)
    Lady Oscar (L2)Grell (L5)Touya (L1)
    that's awful

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

thanks for the news.

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

I have the Gravitation DVD box but the first cd stopped working and i'm going to cry now

Yaoi Amateur
    Between Eiri Yuki and Sasuke Uchiha^^/Under you or on top of you make your choice^^
    Savings

ToushizouFlower 1 (Pink)Pray for Japan
    Naruto (L1)Heart 1 (Blue)Sasuke (L1)
    Endo (L2)Kaname (L1)Sono (L3)
    Noooo Junjou! I can't even buy this dvd in England and internet is expensive on pay as you go!

Yaoi Veteran

Savings

Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1
    Narasaki Chika (L7)Heart 2 (Red)Terashima Natsuki (L6)
    Spacer 1Spacer 1Spacer 1

Regarding Soukyuu no Fafner. I know that the Dead Aggressor and Heaven and Earth, both have been licensed by funimation, but will this still apply to the new season 2: Exodus? or just no Fafner period regardless of license?

Aarin - Busy

Savings

Spacer 1PochitaSpacer 1
    (S096) Rei IzumiHeart 6 (Devil)(S095) Towa
    (S097) Misaki(S099) Dick Burnford(S098) Yuto Lennix

Quote Originally Posted by Otome View Post
    Regarding Soukyuu no Fafner. I know that the Dead Aggressor and Heaven and Earth, both have been licensed by funimation, but will this still apply to the new season 2: Exodus? or just no Fafner period regardless of license?
    Hi, Season 2's Exodus is fine for sharing here.
    I will update the list.

Yaoi Amateur

Savings

MakkachinKusaka (L7)Akizuki (L6)
    Hei (L7)Raoul (L8)Katze (L4)
    Iason (L4)Riki (L4)Taki (L2)
    > i've read the text of the law (my country's laws) and it's specifically mentioned - "usage of a product made / bought by contract to be distributed" is protected... does it mean it's ok for me to have fansubs of unlicensed (internally) anime?>

By protected this means protected under the copyright laws of the country of origin of the work in question. This is where the "letter of the law" gets a little muddy and where there really needs to be some reform, especially here in the States. In my country, under the current law, there is a provision called the Fair Use Doctrine and this was put in place as a means for educators, artists, librarians to use copyright work within the realm of teaching, criticism, or to create derivative works. Basically, you can have fan subs of works that have not been licensed in your country because just like fan translations they would fall under "fair use", and translations are considered to be derivative works. You can share these things as long as you are not making a profit from them. And that's what I think the commercial companies are concerned about overall. Fan-subs and fan-translators fall within the gray area of Copyright law. I benefited from them the same way I've benefited from bootleg VHS tapes way back when. I'm a child of the old school Gray Market/mail catalog/convention dealer room days. The vast majority of my anime collection was built on bootlegged VHS tapes/copied Japanese laserdiscs. This was an era that hadn't seen internet and the "glory of bitTorrent"

In terms of distribution licensing for foreign works, I'm only recently getting around to learning about this. Though I'm sketchy how this works within video, though I'm sure it's similar, but in terms of manga, the distribution licensing is using by title and one format only. So if I'm a big publishing and I wanted to acquire rights to a really hot title in Japan, it'll be up to the legal department of my company to take to the foreign company who owned the rights and see what agreement can be reached. Using the rights are obtained for one format, usually paper. If my company wanted to make it available in ebook format, then my company may need to negotiate for separate license for that format. I don't know how long these licenses last for. It depends. But once a company in a country/region outside the country of the work's origin picks up distribution rights, other regions have only two choices: get the product from the one who has distribution rights or wait it out. Not sure how many licenses a distributor is able to get at any one time, but I know that it's expensive and takes a lot of time to obtain them. Because of the high dollar amount involved, most distributors/publishers don't want to take chances with niche product. They want to go with a title that's popular and in demand.

>fansubbing aside, once US gets a license, the rest of the world pretty much waits for it, even if there's not going to be a distribution / accessible source for that title, in another countries. strangely, other-than-english-fansubs go on with no problems.

fansubbers (i assume you know more than a lot of us about this): is there some international law that protects US licenses, or UK licenses, or UE licenses and whatever licenses, against use in countries they don't geographically/politically cover?!

Yes. It's called the Berne Convention (WIPO Treaty...don't remember what the letters stand for off the top of my head) but the Berne Convention contains within it's language sections dealing with copyright law and all those issues pertaining to those laws.

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Iwaki (L9)Katou (L9)Yoh (L9)
    Shirotani Tadaomi (L8)Kurose (L8)Zangetsu (L4)
    Shiki (L2)(S036) Kaneki KenNatsume (L1)
    Thank for the info, a litlle sad some works are not allowed to share here , but I understand it

Quote Originally Posted by Goblingoddess View Post
    I still use a 'delightful' program called DVD Decrypter which pretty much strips any disk of its region code. So once I do that, I can rip the disk, take that file, run it through another program to compress it so I can convert to a format size I can either use on my computer or burn the resulting file to a blank DVD so I can play it on my tv's DVD player. I've built my current DVD collection this way. And since it's only for myself I'm not breaking the law...I'd have to distribute the resulting file.
    Interesting , i gonna looking for the program "DVD Decrypter", thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goblingoddess View Post
    > i've read the text of the law (my country's laws) and it's specifically mentioned - "usage of a product made / bought by contract to be distributed" is protected... does it mean it's ok for me to have fansubs of unlicensed (internally) anime?>

By protected this means protected under the copyright laws of the country of origin of the work in question. This is where the "letter of the law" gets a little muddy and where there really needs to be some reform, especially here in the States. In my country, under the current law, there is a provision called the Fair Use Doctrine and this was put in place as a means for educators, artists, librarians to use copyright work within the realm of teaching, criticism, or to create derivative works. Basically, you can have fan subs of works that have not been licensed in your country because just like fan translations they would fall under "fair use", and translations are considered to be derivative works. You can share these things as long as you are not making a profit from them. And that's what I think the commercial companies are concerned about overall. Fan-subs and fan-translators fall within the gray area of Copyright law. I benefited from them the same way I've benefited from bootleg VHS tapes way back when. I'm a child of the old school Gray Market/mail catalog/convention dealer room days. The vast majority of my anime collection was built on bootlegged VHS tapes/copied Japanese laserdiscs. This was an era that hadn't seen internet and the "glory of bitTorrent"

In terms of distribution licensing for foreign works, I'm only recently getting around to learning about this. Though I'm sketchy how this works within video, though I'm sure it's similar, but in terms of manga, the distribution licensing is using by title and one format only. So if I'm a big publishing and I wanted to acquire rights to a really hot title in Japan, it'll be up to the legal department of my company to take to the foreign company who owned the rights and see what agreement can be reached. Using the rights are obtained for one format, usually paper. If my company wanted to make it available in ebook format, then my company may need to negotiate for separate license for that format. I don't know how long these licenses last for. It depends. But once a company in a country/region outside the country of the work's origin picks up distribution rights, other regions have only two choices: get the product from the one who has distribution rights or wait it out. Not sure how many licenses a distributor is able to get at any one time, but I know that it's expensive and takes a lot of time to obtain them. Because of the high dollar amount involved, most distributors/publishers don't want to take chances with niche product. They want to go with a title that's popular and in demand.

>fansubbing aside, once US gets a license, the rest of the world pretty much waits for it, even if there's not going to be a distribution / accessible source for that title, in another countries. strangely, other-than-english-fansubs go on with no problems.

fansubbers (i assume you know more than a lot of us about this): is there some international law that protects US licenses, or UK licenses, or UE licenses and whatever licenses, against use in countries they don't geographically/politically cover?!

Yes. It's called the Berne Convention (WIPO Treaty...don't remember what the letters stand for off the top of my head) but the Berne Convention contains within it's language sections dealing with copyright law and all those issues pertaining to those laws.
    Interesting information, now I know a litlle more about this item

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast