aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: User blogs

Yaoi Fan
    Savings

Levi (L10)Levi SnK (L8)Erwin SnK (L9)
    Mikasa SnK (L9)Eren Titan (L9)Armin SnK (L9)
    Eren SnK (L9)Rin Matsuoka (L9)Sousuke Yamazaki (L9)
    As I was browsing over the many public messages on other users' profiles, an idea hit me if whether it'd be possible for forum maintainers to design a blog feature for users.

I don't mean your typical blog interface, with its own customization tools or RSS feeds (could you imagine server supporting all that for 100,000+ users?!) or whatnot, but something similar to the simple designs of recent microblogs (i.e. Twitter), with a limited number of characters - to ballpark, maybe around 500 words - per entry.

Can it be done? Too ambitious? What are your thoughts?

Oh and to clarify what I meant by a "simple interface" for posting blog entries, I mean something like we're already using when posting messages on our friends' profile pages. Does this make any sense?
    Last edited by Gizmo; 02-13-2008 at 01:03 PM.

Oba Yozo
    That'd be piff, I'm all for it.

Yaoi Lover
    Savings

Fei Long (L8)Xmas (014)(S002) Misaki
    Fuji (L6)Sai (L6)Tamaki (L2)
    (S003) LelouchRen (L8)Hei (L7)

Hey, I wonder about this idea too, since I joined the previous forums which using phpbb and it enable to install athe blog system inside it, however since AarinFantasy uses vbulletin I guess it'd much easier to create blog user too XD~~~

Yaoi Lover
    India, though I'd go anywhere with my computer and networks ^_^
    Savings

Ace (L5)Heart 1 (Blue)Luffy (L10)
    Sebastian (L13)Shanks (L8)Gray (L9)
    Sanzo (L10)Zoro (L7)Sanji (L9)

The idea is actually pretty good, but I don't know about the vastness of its implementation. I mean, does it really make sense to restrict people to something like 500 words per entry? On the other hand, if you do not do so, there could be space problems. So how do you go about it when the no. of users are these much?

Yaoi Fan
    Savings

The idea is actually pretty good, but I don't know about the vastness of its implementation. I mean, does it really make sense to restrict people to something like 500 words per entry? On the other hand, if you do not do so, there could be space problems. So how do you go about it when the no. of users are these much?
    Well like I said, they're not "blogs" in the conventional sense, more like bigger microblogs (typical microblogs range from somewhere like 20-25 words per entry). To install actual blogs for every member is pretty implausible for such a large forum.

As for restricting users to 500 words, I'll bring up the point of microblogs as to record only snippets of your thoughts rather than to act as a substantial journal. So, I guess calling my suggestion as user "blogs" is a bit of a misnomer. But, I think 500 words is large enough to enable users to record their thoughts to a sufficient extent--I mean, it's still a lot more than typical microblogs (which are only like 25 words per entry). Plus, if 500 words aren't enough, you can always increase your frequency of entries.

Obviously, if anyone wants a real blog, they can create their own on Blogger or some other blog platform. What the main point of my suggestion is is to get members to express themselves beyond your typical "About Me" profile page, within the AF community background. It's to give individual members greater opportunity to express their individual interests from the point of view of themselves, and not through the eyes of the greater community like we typically do through commenting in public forum topics. You can argue this still restricts people, but it's far more liberating than what we have currently at AF. (It at least gives us a "microphone" to speak in, albeit only for 15-minutes.)

Also by doing this, everyone gets to know other individuals beyond just a superficial extent of looking over their Interests page and whatnot. We get to see what their personality can be like by way of how and what they write about, think about, etc. We get to build a dialogue with others. So, in terms of increasing individual involvement in the forum, this is one excellent way to do so.

To add to that further, if more individual people become involved in the forum, the more they care about the forum (because they've invested so much of their thoughts into it). The more people who care, the higher the activity of the forum. The higher the forum's activity, the higher its profile. The higher it's profile, then the larger it's online popularity becomes. The list of benefits can go on and on.
    Last edited by Gizmo; 02-15-2008 at 07:34 AM.

Yaoi Fan
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by no_niq View Post
    Hey, I wonder about this idea too, since I joined the previous forums which using phpbb and it enable to install athe blog system inside it, however since AarinFantasy uses vbulletin I guess it'd much easier to create blog user too XD~~~
    Yeah that would make a lot of sense! Thanks!
    Last edited by Gizmo; 02-15-2008 at 07:33 AM.

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Asami (L10)Heart 1 (Red)Akihito (L10)
    Spacer 1Fei Long (L10)Spacer 1
    Okita (L8)Gokudera (L8)Hijikata PMK (L8)

Wouldn't this make the already -sometimes- unstable database MORE unstable? O_o
    I don't want more downtimes of this forum if such a load of data would cause such...

Kyubi_Uchiha
    I agree with Nuriko, that would overload the forum...i think the current user profile thingy is ok as it is, i mean you can communicate good enough already ^^' there's no need to complicate things more
    Last edited by Kyubi_Uchiha; 02-15-2008 at 01:21 PM.

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Rin (L7)Pray for JapanYukio (L9)
    Rin (L9)Minato (L6)Yukio (L7)
    Inuyasha (L10)TimcanpyInuyasha (L1)

Actually (I only know this because my forum is vBulletin) it is possible to have a blog feature, but it costs, like $50.00 USD for it ...

EDIT:
    I think it'd be a neat feature, but if it's very server intensive (and it probably is?) then I'd rather not see it. I'd rather be able to access the forum than not The features that are already up and running here are awesome, and I love them, so I think that I am content with what we already have
    Last edited by Cireus; 02-15-2008 at 02:21 PM.

Yaoi Expert

Savings

Wing 1 (Left)(S019) TinkleWing 1 (Right)
    Spacer 1Heart 4 (Rainbow)Spacer 1
    Luffy (L10)Sanji (L9)Ace (L10)

Yes, I agree with Nuriko and Kyubi_Uchiha. This should be overload the forum. Is all perfect as it is now. Ah, I take the opportunity to say thank you to all the mods/admins that keep up this site.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast