aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

sorceressregile

Question New Members Question Section

I am new here and figuring out the forum rules and set has been kind of difficult. Rules about what should and should not be posted are good, but what about if you are unsure of where to post something. There could be a section dedicated to the newbies, like me, out there who have those weird and sometimes obvious questions that have to do with the running of the forum, not the subject matter. Where and how to post, who to contact if there is a problem, procedures, that kind of thing. It could even be part of the introduction section. What do you think?

ZSP
    I think you have a point, since there are often so many repeated threads. There is already a Forum Guide that szto made in the Introduction section, but there are still many new members who don't know how to go about Aarin. There also used to be FAQ, but it was more related to general forum functions.

The other thing is Mods and Admins are already busy enough to make a guidance thread like that. So instead there could be a sticky thread where new members ask whatever questions they have to some of the older members who could answer them easily and as they are answered, the first post could be updated to have some sort of "New member FAQ".

If a mod or admin approves this, I'd like to help in such thread (or maybe create it also?).

And I got lots of peas!

Savings

(S010) JokerTaki (L1)Riki (L4)
    Yukihito (L1)Sakuya (L5)Takenaga (L5)
    Ueno (L5)Jiang Wei (L2)Sono (L3)

There are already various guidelines about many things in this forum, like the map of the forum, the download and upload guides, the rules, and also a lot of sticky threads which contain information related to the section they are in which are deemed useful to the users.
    Another way to find information you need is to use the search function of the forum (always recommended!) and to browse the sections of the forum until you find the one related to your questions. For example, if you need more information about things like reputation, posting or similar forum related issues, it is best to go to the Forum Functions section. General Forum related questions are answered in these FAQ. If you have technical problems, go to the AF Files & Forum Support Center.
    Same with all other topics.

There is also a section for new members where they can introduce themselves, and many there also ask there first questions. The users welcoming them usually are very helpful to give the needed answers. But it is always welcomed when users at least try to find answers to their questions (which probably were asked before and answered in some way) already there before asking the same thing over and over again.
    People are more willing to help if they notice that the person asking already tried to find the answer before posting a question. Meaning that users (mods and admins as well) will try hard to answer any question you have, when they feel that you tried to find an answer yourself from the material available here before asking them.
    For example, if you just ask "What are points and what can I do with them?" they will likely just point you to the Points Central for you to read there. If your answer isn't to be found in this section, you can of course post your question there.

So it is best for everyone, both new users and the regular ones, to check out the forum first to get acquainted with its sections and structure, for the best place to put their questions in, because that way they might find that their questions were already answered at some point or are addressed in the rules or sticky threads and there are also chances that while doing this the user might get more clear about what he wants to ask. The search function is also recommended.

A new section for all kinds of questions will make it even easier for people to dump all their questions in without trying to find the right place or maybe even an answer beforehand.
    And asking questions in the suitable section will also make it more likely that users who are familiar with the topic will see your question.

Regarding the repetitive threads, most of the time they are here because the users didn't do any of the things mentioned above...

And the staff will always welcome if users create guides, tutorials, FAQ of any topic.
    A lot if sticky threads are such user created content.
    So if someone feels like there are FAQ which have not been compiled yet, they are welcome to do so.
    Last edited by Yavannah; 12-16-2007 at 07:43 AM.

arinna
    introduction threads can be really helpful when it comes to familiarizing the new members with the "forum ways", most older users welcome the newcomers with lines like "read the forum rules", accompanied by useful links and directions, if asked. these are not merely conversation topics, but they should be taken literally .
    that map of the forum is probably one of the most "enlightening" stickied threads for newbie guidance, really helpful (how come i've never seen it before ?)

Yaoi Amateur
    Savings

Allen (L1)Hanataro (L1)Lelouch (L3)
    Kantarou (L4)Aladdin (L6)Nai (L8)
    Clear DM (L8)(S030) VirusYuri Katsuki (L7)
    where do i go to get those Lv. things i lost where to go

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Ichigo Kurosaki (L10)Orihime (L3)(S012) Hollow Ichigo
    Makoto Tachibana (L6)Heart 1 (Blue)Haruka Nanase (L6)
    Sebastian (L10)Kail (L1)Sesshoumaru (L10)

Quote Originally Posted by firenightwalker View Post
    where do i go to get those Lv. things i lost where to go
    If you mean the cards those can be found in the Ishop but right now the forum is still under maintenance so the Ishop is still disabled. It will be back as soon as the maintenance is done