aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

mocca parfait

AarinFantasy forum cost

Since I adore this forum and don't want to see it disappear, I want to give some feedback on something I don't understand.

When the site was in a crisis, the July goal was $1150. In her post here, Aarin said:

"I have taken the measure to take down a server that's been used for my fansub team backup and support needs. That one costs about $200. Now we are left with the important expenses needed to run this site's server, the main fansub server, forum's license/needs, media purchase when necessary and after tax deduction. So our monthly total will be $200 lesser now."

Yet now when I look at the December goal (we're at 8%) it's gone up. It's got to be around 1339 dollars. Is it going to be this much from now on? Because honestly, I'm really worried the forum can't keep going at this rate, July gave me quite a scare. I've tried looking for the post where Aarin broke down the cost but I can't find it anymore.

Here's some things I don't get:
    • what is the difference between the site's server and the main fansub server? Is the capacity of the main server not big enough?
    • Also the licence/needs and media purchase, can you explain a bit more what that means?

Aarin - Busy

Savings

Spacer 1PochitaSpacer 1
    (S096) Rei IzumiHeart 6 (Devil)(S095) Towa
    (S097) Misaki(S099) Dick Burnford(S098) Yuto Lennix

No problem on asking. Is just that I will try my best to notify ppl about it more openly next time because I had it stated in the Donation Goal already thinking that could be enough.

I have actually written it here in the Donation for December's goal even before this thread ask:
    "...also hired professional help for fixing some part of Fiction in Aug 2011"

Remember that for Aug-Nov donation goal, we do not have this covered because it was only paid and fixed about 2 weeks ago and after the Nov goal donation has been achieved. We have to use this because it's been dragged on for long and Dai found this the best way to fix it because we waited and no reply. So we hired Skydevelop to do it.

This one costed $250... where first we paid $100 for deposit, and then we paid the rest $150 after they fixed it.

So total is $1150 + $250 = $1400
    I deducted $10 because that's what we got from ads for Aug after deducting for contests, just for everyone's info... some ads like the YesStyle ads for example, are not click ads. It only generates $ to us if someone buys from there. Some click ads were not counted as some are not valid etc... all were taken into consideration.
    That's how the amount came up~ Just for December.
    But I must say we have annual server and domain payment soon in Feb.

Now to answer to your questions:
    1) Main server is main server, either controlled by me and Dai-kun. My other fansub server is totally different and have different access (different group of ppl to access) because the fansub one I am having another person to control it which is cutie_p from this forum. And this server is located at a different country... in case of any emergency. I have this server since I started fansub and before Dai bought the aarinfantasy.com domain even. This is a small server which cost $90. There is another one for backup/test. With years of using their services, they have special upgrades for us too on that and stores many animes there also for backup. Many forum bugs were fixed faster now because there's hired help.

2a) Licensing occurs every year for forum license like VBulletin forum license, sometimes Dai will suggest to buy templates and add-ons. The add-ons have license too that has expiration date. So when we have problem with a certain section, let's say the Gallery section, we need a valid license to be able to login and enquire or ask for fixing something like a bug. All sections require separate licenses, if applicable. If problem persisted and let's say that the author for the codes of a section can no longer help or inactive, then we need to hire professional help just like the Fiction. That's what I understand how it works from what Dai-kun has done.

2b) Media purchase means purchasing medias such as DVDs or even online raws that's extremely hard to find. Note that I said this is "when necessary". The medias are all used for fansub.

Here is the quote you were looking for:
    http://aarinfantasy.com/forum/f12/t1...ml#post3655205

Quote Originally Posted by aarinfantasy View Post
    Hi, I do give points since last year where $1 is 10,000 points. I didn't set too high so that people don't donate for 'incentives'. I really want people to donate it sincerely but at the same time I wanna give something so a bit of points is a token of appreciation from me.

Yes, I have no problem giving you guys a breakdown which I did in the donations thread somewhere. Dai-kun sometimes check with me what's the breakdown costs too and sometimes I also asked him whenever the forum pays for renew or new things whether it's license, templates, addons, hiring specific tech help etc. This is to keep in check with each other so there's no misunderstanding.

Here's the break down:
    Main server - $500 (we run on a dedicated server)
    Fansub servers (one main storage, one team workplace) - $200 + $90 (everything we keep and use for my fansub team and huge storage needed)
    Hiring tech help, media purchase, licensing, addons, donations to host trackers or forum related - $350 to $400 (there's usually a need for any of these each month)
    Emergency funding - $10 to $50 monthly (this is to be stored for savings and used when there's lack of funds for future)
    Total: $1150 (all the above amount includes tax from PayPal)
    The donation goal bar indicates what you donated AFTER tax deduction. It's auto calculated by PayPal, not me.

I used to have backup from other servers for my fansub team and also for helping other fansub group members, but I have shut those down already. So backup wise, I have to use my home storage which I just purchased with my own money recently.

~
    Here is also the Invoice as proof from Skydevelop, total $250 on two invoices. The name and address is obviously blacked out since it contains Dai's real name and address. He has to show me this too as proof in order for me to pay Skydevelop.

~

Last edited by Aarinfantasy; 09-07-2011 at 08:12 AM.

3. + Show/Hide thank you list

Yaoi Legend

~IN MY VERY OWN "LA LA LAND" TAMING HIBARI AND MUKURO~
    Savings

Vietnam (L10)(Event) Forum - KiseAmerica (L10)
    Sebastian (L13)Fei Long (L8)Sebastian (L13)
    (S058) MayaAsami (L12)(S055) Doumeki

Quote Originally Posted by mocca parfait View Post
    Since I adore this forum and don't want to see it disappear, I want to give some feedback on something I don't understand.

When the site was in a crisis, the July goal was $1150. In her post here, Aarin said:

"I have taken the measure to take down a server that's been used for my fansub team backup and support needs. That one costs about $200. Now we are left with the important expenses needed to run this site's server, the main fansub server, forum's license/needs, media purchase when necessary and after tax deduction. So our monthly total will be $200 lesser now."

Yet now when I look at the December goal (we're at 8%) it's gone up. It's got to be around 1339 dollars. Is it going to be this much from now on? Because honestly, I'm really worried the forum can't keep going at this rate, July gave me quite a scare. I've tried looking for the post where Aarin broke down the cost but I can't find it anymore.

Here's some things I don't get:
    • what is the difference between the site's server and the main fansub server? Is the capacity of the main server not big enough?
    • Also the licence/needs and media purchase, can you explain a bit more what that means?
    Dai/Aarin doing their best for the forum and is making it lessing as much as possible~
    As you can see Dear, things cost money and they both make this free for us to use, and it would be nice if we donated~

THANKS DAI/AARIN/STAFF FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK FOR US~

Aarin - Busy

Savings

Spacer 1PochitaSpacer 1

Thanks, actually I have no problem explaining... because there's nothing to hide. I just wanna barely cover the costs of the site and all the related stuff to the site, that's all. Otherwise, like I said... I can always cover it for extra 2 months ahead with my own money, just like Dai-kun and I did back in the days during 2005-2006 where we paid for over a year or something (can't remember exact days) before we even asked for any donation. But 2 months is the max I can cover alone, my work doesn't pay a lot and I have to pay my home and family bills too... ^_^;;

I have Dai-kun and cutie_p to help me with servers so in case... something happened to me or any of us, we still have another person to cover. At the same time, it lets us be aware of what each other are doing too with the money. I may be the person who have access to the PayPal account but they are the account holders to the servers they are assigned to or reminders for me to pay (I also have access to the server accounts obviously). My PayPal account can also be accessed by a family member (in case anything happens to me).
    Last edited by Aarinfantasy; 09-07-2011 at 08:31 AM.

mocca parfait

Thanks for explaining, Aarin. I wouldn't ask if I didn't care so much for the forum. I definitely will donate again to help meet the next goal.

Aarin - Busy

Savings

Spacer 1PochitaSpacer 1

Quote Originally Posted by mocca parfait View Post

Thanks for explaining, Aarin. I wouldn't ask if I didn't care so much for the forum. I definitely will donate again to help meet the next goal.
    To me, donors have the right to ask where their money goes... so I understand why you asked. By asking, it can also mean that you are also representing the Donors/Contributors group or asking on their behalf because I am quite sure some of them wants to ask me the same thing but probably don't really want or dare to ask.

If anyone has anything not clear, please ask me or if you are shy, can also PM me.

Busy Body

Savings

Rin (L9)Yukio (L9)Daisuke (L10)
    Allen (L1)

Also want to say that one of the fees includes a separate backup server in case anything goes wrong like hardware malfunction, natural disasters, or server compromise for site and forum related (not media files). It is located in another location and we can always retrieve files we need if the main one goes down. We have lots of files including images from galleries, pictures, attachments so we have to make sure these are backup-ed along with forum posts and threads at 2 physically separate places. I'm sure you've ran into forums where the site is down for days or even weeks and when recovered, you have lost posts, images, etc. (like we did in the past -_-)

9. + Show/Hide thank you list