aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mordor
    Quote Originally Posted by tina21 View Post
    @Mordor when someone is in a hurry, and truthfully when I'm to post in manga threads I am in a hurry to catch my bus, you think I'd have the time to go to a profile to check on a member's gender there, instead of just typing away what I want to say and just have a quick post on his/her post...??? and these kind of things are little details to make our lives easier....
    No need to get your knickers in a twist

I was just saying that if to some it's such a big deal to know what to use for sure, instead of going with the simple solution (s/he-combo or they) then why not simply check it instead of making such a fuss. I didn't take the busy-factor on account, since I didn't think people would actually come here if they are in a hurry to go someplace else.

I guess it makes some peoples lives easier. But to me it has worked just fine without this option. I either go with they or s/he, and it has not made my life any more complicated. *shrugs*

And even if you do get this option, it still wouldn't guarantee to make it easier for you. Since it will still be optional. And there are people who don't bother making it visible. So you still have to go with they, or s/he, or adjust your sentences with the screen name so you wouldn't have to use gender-based words, with some people. It would not really make any more difference, since most of those who would put it visible, would be those who already have had it on signature before that~

//Edit: I agree with Fuji. We can't actually see who is behind the screen, so we are allowed to make little mistakes such as stating the wrong gender. It is not a big deal, and people should not be bothered by it.
    If you have a problem with people calling you she, when you are a he, or other way around, just make it clear enough what you prefer.
    Last edited by Mordor; 11-21-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

Yang Wen-Li (L2)Kusuriuri (L10)Haji (L5)
    Cloud (L9)Lady Oscar (L2)Seto (L7)
    Pray for JapanElizabethWolfwood (L10)

What I feel is that when a person decides to show their gender it already helps us, the people that are reading the posts, to have more insight into the person we are talking to. This is why it's redundant to have it on the Profile: like avatar, number of posts, location, sig lines and cards, it helps us to figure out "who" are we talking to and adapt our answers to that. The ultimate consequence is to bring up post quality.

Now, I believe it's quite obvious that I am female. I find it silly to call myself "aaringirl" or "aarinfemale" or anything like that. However, my issue here is that I want to have the possibility to know at first sight what is who. At an immediate sight.

Mordor
    ladyxzeus: No offense, but to me, you just made it sound like a gender would somehow identify a person.

I get that this was made an issue because the English language makes it an issue, but I sure hope that was the only reason for this topic.

Anyway, I guess everyone has made a valid point by now, and now we just need a staff-members opinion for this. Which kind of is pointless as well, since it has been clear already.

1. The site policy makes it pretty clear that there will be no forcing of stating ones gender, and if there will be male/female/none or other, it is still forcing it in a way.
    2. Like someone said before, this has already been suggested before. I am not sure what the staffs response of it was, but since we don't have that option there, I can safely assume that it was either a no, or not for now.

Total Yaoi Freak

Savings

Yang Wen-Li (L2)Kusuriuri (L10)Haji (L5)
    Cloud (L9)Lady Oscar (L2)Seto (L7)
    Pray for JapanElizabethWolfwood (L10)

That was exactly what I intended it to sound. Because just the fact that the person chose to reveal their gender as "female" or "male" (this is internet, you can even say "tentacle" and it stands for a gender) already says something about them. And for me it's easier to identify the others by an association of what I think their personality is to their name/avatar. Hopefully I'm not the only one that does her best to talk to a person, and not to an avatar.

Also, now that I think about it "tentacle" is a pretty nice option. I'd choose it if it was available. :3
    Last edited by ladyxzeus; 11-21-2009 at 07:18 PM.

scary momma set addict

Savings

Shihoudani (L4)Illumi (L9)Makishima Yuusuke (L7)
    Kasamatsu (L7)Masrur (L8)Hiko Seijuro (L10)
    Suzuya Jūzō (L8)(S046) Kogitsunemaru(S064) Toono Takashi

I understand why people want to have the idenitfication for others. But as it has already been stated that we will not force anyone to identify their gender, asking for a gender icon is a moot point. Furthermore, if there was such an icon, there would be no way to determine if that person was really telling the truth if it is user based.

People who want to have their gender known can already do so in many ways, by having aaringirl/aaringuy text or user bars in their sig, having a note in their profile, etc. And if you really want to you could use the pink smile for girl or blue smile for boy, and yellow for neutral if you want in your sig.

And to be honest, even having the gender icon there is no guarantee that people will call you by that gender. My username has girl in it, and I've been asked if I was a boy before...

And if you want to be polite when quoting someone whose gender you don't know, you can always use the royal "we" which is gender neutral.

Mordor
    ladyxzeus: On internet, I talk to a person too. But gender does not reflect a personality in any way, or reveal what kind of a person one is in any level or detail. And even though people tend to choose an avatar that reflects their personality or a current mood, it is not always the case, and one should not build up ones personality based on them in my opinion.
    This is one of the reasons I refuse to announce my gender. I don't want people deciding what kind of a person I must be because of what I have in my pants, and that is what most do even with a little detail such as gender. They stereotype, and they label.

//Sorry for the off-topic

EDIT: Thank you for the clarification on this, Cabbi!

Yaoi Legend
    Savings

Pray for JapanTsuna (L10)Ginshu (L10)
    Bonten (L10)Wolfram (L10)Wolfram (L8)
    Wolfram (L1)Ciel (L9)Ciel (L5)

Gaah, I don't get it. Nobody is talking about forcing anyone to do anything. It's like with the location: some people use it, some don't. You can't varify if they state the truth here too but somehow, the location is not a problem.
    Why the 100 and 1 ideas how to show your gender if it can be taken care of with one small icon?

Mordor
    Because, that little tiny icon solves nothing. It would just be a little more work for admin/s and/or Dai.

And yes, it is forcing. Now that we don't have an option like that, if people don't show it in their sigs etc, or join the social groups for different genders, it is not considered odd in any way. They don't like the sig to be cluttered, they have no room there, they are not interested in social groups etc. etc. But if you get an option, where you have to choose one of the choices, meaning male/female/other or no answer, it is forcing in a way. It is like forcing the coming out-process to those who are in the other-field or otherwise don't feel comfortable sharing that bit of personal info about themselves. There will be those, who will start thinking "now that we have this shiny option, why hasn't that and this person set it to their gender yet?" and so on. And that would be, against site policy.

scary momma set addict

Savings

Shihoudani (L4)Illumi (L9)Makishima Yuusuke (L7)
    Kasamatsu (L7)Masrur (L8)Hiko Seijuro (L10)
    Suzuya Jūzō (L8)(S046) Kogitsunemaru(S064) Toono Takashi

From what I can see, you just want the option to show your gender if you want to.

The option is already there by ways previously stated. Yet some want another option for gender, but from what I'm reading, this option is not so much to id themselves, but so that they can identify others.

For now the icon option will not be happening since once you pick your gender, you are stuck with it. If Dai is able to find a way to have it be optional or changed then maybe this will be opened up again, but as Dai is gonna be busy for a bit, it will not be anytime soon.

Yaoi Legend
    Savings

Pray for JapanTsuna (L10)Ginshu (L10)
    Bonten (L10)Wolfram (L10)Wolfram (L8)
    Wolfram (L1)Ciel (L9)Ciel (L5)

Quote Originally Posted by Mordor View Post
    But if you get an option, where you have to choose one of the choices, meaning male/female/other or no answer, it is forcing in a way. It is like forcing the coming out-process to those who are in the other-field or otherwise don't feel comfortable sharing that bit of personal info about themselves.
    No, it's not forcing. It would be forcing if you had to share your gender. If you don't feel comfortable sharing it, then don't. That's the entire point. You don't have to anything. Just ignore this option.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordor View Post
    There will be those, who will start thinking "now that we have this shiny option, why hasn't that and this person set it to their gender yet?" and so on. And that would be, against site policy.
    LOL what? Isn't this too overdramatic? If somebody doesn't state their location, nobody is going to thing anything about it (like: "OMG this person is probably from Mars! ) Really, Morg. So because you are afraid that some might think... I don't really know what, about the lack of gender symbol in your postbit, those who want it can't have it? How is that fair?
    And what is against site policy? Thinking?

As I said, gender icons are normal on other forums/sites, some people use it, some don't and this the first time ever I heard about this kind of problem.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast