aarinfantasy's YAOI Collection

View Poll Results: Would you like a thanks button available in other forums? May choose more than one

Voters
51. This poll is closed
  • One Stop Shop

41 80.39%
  • Contest Section

37 72.55%
  • Other Please explain

7 13.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Oh yeah, you wanna know?

Savings

Kakashi (L10)Iruka (L8)Katou (L9)
    Iwaki (L9)Yuki Eiri (L9)Sanzo (L10)
    Yamato B (L8)(S021) RikiSoubi (L10)

Hm, actually I don't think it's a good idea. While we don't encourage multiple repping, this might actually turn out another 'thanks' orgy we see in other threads. Thanks are largely used in the download sections where they serve a purpose. In threads where everyone can thank everyone else, there was overuse of the thanks button at times, that's why the button was removed from some sections in the first place. People might use it as another way to boost their rep, and some people did.

So... where's the 'no' option? (I know, I hate this question too )

Extreme Yaoi Guru

The abyss after everything, please join me...
    Savings

Shino (L3)Male 1 (Blue)Kiba (L5)
    Spacer 1Loid Forger (L9)Anya Forger (L7)
    Yor Forger (L9)Rick Grimes (L9)Daryl Dixon (L9)

Lent cant we only thank a post "once"? I also thought that it seem a better option than "normal rep" since it counts as 1 point
    well can never really stop those that would abuse the system...but i know that i'm limited in how many times i can "thank or rep" a peson..so if ppl were to over-use abuse it would be not by accident with the extended time limit between thanking & rep the same person.. i wonder still...

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Kuroo Tetsurou (L9)Kenma Kozume (L9)Heart 5 (Red)
    Heart 5 (Red)Iwaizumi Hajime (L8)Oikawa Tooru (L9)
    Tanuma (L10)Natsume (L10)Makoto Tachibana (L6)

I had to select "Other" since there was actually no "No" option. I selected that for all the reasons previously given.

I am not a graphic artist, but I can just imagine, as a fanfic writer, how it would be to see a bunch of "thanks" instead of comments or comments via rep in response to my fic. Um ... no thank you.

Oh yeah, you wanna know?

Savings

Quote Originally Posted by CrisNoWait View Post
    Lent cant we only thank a post "once"? I also thought that it seem a better option than "normal rep" since it counts as 1 point
    well can never really stop those that would abuse the system...but i know that i'm limited in how many times i can "thank or rep" a peson..so if ppl were to over-use abuse it would be not by accident with the extended time limit between thanking & rep the same person.. i wonder still...
    Well, there is the odd warning that you can't give rep to a person again after you've just repped him/her. (Make sure to spread some rep before you can rep the same person again, something like that). That also works (at least at times) in combination with thanks and reps. It doesn't always work with only thanks, as far as I know. To my knowledge it is possible to thank the same person more than five times in a row, exact numbers I'm not sure of.

There's a lot of quick and fun contest threads where people would likely use that option to thank this person for his/her witty answer, then the next person would thank the person back and so and so on. So having such a feature in the contest section I personally wouldn't like to see. About the shop section, well, I'm not too sure.

I just think that the thanks option works best for the downloads and help section and less for shop threads.

bella28385
    Quote Originally Posted by Lent View Post
    Well, there is the odd warning that you can't give rep to a person again after you've just repped him/her. (Make sure to spread some rep before you can rep the same person again, something like that). That also works (at least at times) in combination with thanks and reps. It doesn't always work with only thanks, as far as I know. To my knowledge it is possible to thank the same person more than five times in a row, exact numbers I'm not sure of.

There's a lot of quick and fun contest threads where people would likely use that option to thank this person for his/her witty answer, then the next person would thank the person back and so and so on. So having such a feature in the contest section I personally wouldn't like to see. About the shop section, well, I'm not too sure.

I just think that the thanks option works best for the downloads and help section and less for shop threads.
    That makes sense since the contest and shops have usually one person who is the thread creator and supplies everything whereas the downloads section has multiple people contributing.

Extreme Yaoi Guru
    With The Doctor and Captain Jack...All over the TARDIS
    Savings

Spacer 1Sephiroth (L12)Spacer 1
    Zack (L10)Cloud (L9)Sephiroth (L8)
    Sherlock Holmes (L9)Skull 1John Watson (L9)

I voted for both because on rare occasions I used up my rep quota and my scatter-brain does not allow me the luxury to remember to thank the next day.

Also, I would be able to give rep today and still hit the thanks button tomorrow, instead of having to 'spread rep around' to other 'less deserving people' so I can rep the person again for something completely different. This repp system really has a lot of 'cons' to it.

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Quote Originally Posted by Lent View Post

Thanks Lent I never considered the "negative" aspects, or ppl abusing the system. Would a person be warned if they were doing that in "any" thread? You gave me some things to consider, although I still think its a good idea

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Kuroo Tetsurou (L9)Kenma Kozume (L9)Heart 5 (Red)
    Heart 5 (Red)Iwaizumi Hajime (L8)Oikawa Tooru (L9)
    Tanuma (L10)Natsume (L10)Makoto Tachibana (L6)

Thanks Lent I never considered the "negative" aspects, or ppl abusing the system. Would a person be warned if they were doing that in "any" thread? You gave me some things to consider, although I still think its a good idea
    I really think it's a nice idea, too; it's just, there's been SO MUCH abuse in the past. It's hard to forget all that

Extreme Yaoi Guru

Savings

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis Moonsong View Post
    I really think it's a nice idea, too; it's just, there's been SO MUCH abuse in the past. It's hard to forget all that

You are so right,
    Well, maybe later if not now

Oh yeah, you wanna know?

Savings

The thing is, tracking thanks in various threads is harder than tracking the rep of a person. You'd actually have to have people really cruise all those related threads to see if there's overuse of the feature, so it would be hard on us mods first.

All in all I'm not sure if such a feature will really benefit more than it can do potential harm, after all the function was removed or never installed from/to certain sections in the first place. Like people said before, in a thread in the shop or contest section there's mostly one main contributor, as opposed to threads in the download section where there's several, in almost each and every post. So the thanks function has proven most useful there.

To what some said about running out of rep and then not having any means to show appretiation to someone, let me just say: Appreciation in this forum has never just been rep. There was virtually no abuse of the system around two years ago, aside from the odd double account that appeared once in a while and was used to give reputation to the first account. Needless to say, those accounts were banned. It's only recently (spanning one to one and a half years back I think) that this feature has been more and more used and abused for means it was not intended for, up to the point that it was discussed to remove the feature as a whole. With so many people having high rep these days, it's kind of gotten hard to tell who really has helped and inspired a lot of people or who just made use of the rep system to appear like that. So to me, the rep system has already lost a lot of its former 'glory' and I wouldn't mind seeing it gone and be replaced by something else.

Again, like someone has said before, a pm or vm can show appreciation just as well, and vm's are even somewhat public, so it can be much more personal than pressing a rep or thanks button multiple times a day.
    Last edited by Lent; 04-03-2009 at 02:12 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast