PDA

View Full Version : Delayed PM notifications

Schneider
09-01-2013, 10:23 AM
on instant email alert subscription
I don't know how many others can replicate this, but I'm subscribed to instant email notification for the PMs and since past week they're working on and off. Sometimes I get the notification immediately and sometimes I won't get any for duration of 1-5hrs and these notifications come next day randomly through out the day. Firstly it's very inconvenient when I don't get email notification because I only check site when I get email, plus getting notification while there's actually no PM throws off false sense of alarm. I've not had this issue up until now, and the PMs that are missed do not fall in timeline when forum is usually backing up database. (Even if it did, I've got PM notifications just fine in past during back up too). It's not my internet as far as I can tell because I do get some of the notifications, and subscription emails from some other forums I'm on (ipb or vbulletin based) are working just fine.

Any help in resolving the issue would be greatly appreciated.

gollumsfriend
09-02-2013, 11:17 AM
It's not just you or your internet, @Schneider ; For the past week or so I've been receiving my instant email notifications for my own PM's as much as TWO DAYS later. Kinda defeats the purpose....... :sigh:

Schneider
09-04-2013, 03:11 AM
Glad I'm not the only one. I got an *inbox full* notification TODAY. My inbox was full 5 days ago :sigh:

Schneider
09-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Just posting for record that my PM notifications have been working fine today for 12hrs or so.

gollumsfriend
09-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Mine haven't. They still show up a minimum of 1 day, to 4 days late.

Schneider
10-16-2013, 03:11 AM
*bump*

Can we please have someone look into this? Problem still persists. Got all of yesterday's notifications today.

gollumsfriend
10-20-2013, 02:29 AM
Since I've been dealing with it since late August, I've decided I just don't care anymore. Sad, but true. :(

kriska22
10-20-2013, 04:52 AM
Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused all of you. I believe Dai-kun is currently working on our mailing system which should fix our problems with registration and this one. I'll contact him and ask about the status...

Dai-kun
10-21-2013, 01:04 PM
[-]guys can you try this for me: change your e-mails to a gmail one temporarily and see if your notifications are getting there on time. A lot of errors been showing up mostly on hotmail accounts.[/-]

actually, i have changed a few email settings. see if your notifications are getting there on time for the next few days, if not, can u do whats mentioned aboved? thanks

gollumsfriend
10-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the update, Dai-kun.

I've used the same hotmail account for the past 5 years tied to this AF account without any problems before this. I'd be happy to give you an update in a few days, but I'm not going to set up an email account elsewhere - even a temp one - to test things out. Maybe Schneider will be willing to do that if it comes down to it......

Schneider
10-24-2013, 09:12 AM
Yes it's working fine since your post Dai-kun. In case problem resurfaces I'd be willing to do a test run with gmail, but really hope it doesn't become the actual solution because I can't switch to gmail on permanent basis. :( Thanks a lot for working on this.
And I'm not really sure how hotmail comes into play in this, because usually if they dislike something it goes straight to junk (even popular sites like imgur), it doesn't get delivered to inbox with a time delay.

Dai-kun
10-24-2013, 04:31 PM
I just want to rule out all possible problems before I spend a lot of time on it when I don't need to, that's all. Since the settings change seem to have fixed the problem, there is nothing more to be done unless the problem arises again. Please do keep me posted.

gollumsfriend
10-25-2013, 01:32 PM
The notifications were working properly until today. I've had two PM's within the past couple hours and haven't received an email for either one yet. But the past few days I had been getting them instantly.

Schneider
10-25-2013, 01:51 PM
@gollumsfriend;

Are you using mobile? More specifically, are you using either hotmail or outlook app to sync emails?

gollumsfriend
10-26-2013, 12:23 AM
No, I'm not 'mobile' at all. I don't own a cell phone/laptop/etc., and still use a desktop pc. :D I don't even know what to 'sync emails' would even mean. I'm that bad, I know. >.<

Schneider
10-26-2013, 12:34 AM
Hmm something has gone wrong again. I am not getting notifications at all since few hours, not sure if I will get them delayed or not at all.

gollumsfriend
10-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Yep, in the past 24 hours something has gone wrong again.

Of four PM notifications in the last 24 hours, I had two of them show up in my inbox about 14 hours late. The other two showed up about 2-3 hours late.

gollumsfriend
10-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Another update on the situation:

I thought it was my imagination, but it's not. It seems that any email PM notifications I'm supposed to receive on a particular day all arrive together - just a minute or two apart from each other - in the middle of the night (or early morning depending on your view of things).

For the past two nights, all my notifications have arrive a couple minutes apart sometime during the 2 a.m. to 3 a.m. hour my time (USA - Central time zone). Just found it a bit strange and thought I'd mention it.

Schneider
10-27-2013, 01:17 PM
Yeah all of mine come at specific time, and update on my situation. Everything I had missed in past week arrived yesterday and today around morning. I'll set up a gmail account for testing after 3rd Nov, bit caught up until then. I can't use my current one for sync as it receives way too many mails.

Dai-kun
10-28-2013, 05:40 PM
I'll be contacting my host to see if they did any changes to the email settings on the deeper end.

Dai-kun
10-28-2013, 09:46 PM
My host and I fixed an error that may have caused the delay in the rate-limit throttling of e-mails, can anyone confirm if it's working correctly in the next day or so, thanks.

gollumsfriend
10-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Read your last post a few minutes ago Dai-kun. Haven't had any PM's sent to me recently so I did a 'test' bank transfer to see if I'd receive the email notification for it which I did. :nods:

Of course, that's only one PM....but it's the most info I can give you at this time. :oops:

Schneider
10-29-2013, 10:57 AM
I need at least 2-3 days to confirm for sure because it's not definite like missing all notifications ck to back. Sometimes I get notification instantly, other times I miss several in row. So getting one or two notifications wouldn't guarantee if problem is fixed or not. (Explaining what used to happen before your last post Dai-kun). So I will observe for next 2-3 days and then get back to you with report.

gollumsfriend
11-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Since my last post on October 29, I can confirm receiving all email PM notifications in hotmail instantly. "All" of them means 5 or 6 instances. :)

Dai-kun
11-03-2013, 01:37 AM
awesome, so far it works on time for me too. if anyone else can confirm it then i'll go ahead and close this issue. thanks

Schneider
12-05-2013, 09:10 AM
I think you can close this, they've been working fine for a while. Thanks a lot for your support on this.

gollumsfriend
12-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Email notifications have still been working for me since my last post ~ :nods: