PDA

View Full Version : Standard Text Editor Not Showing

Gloomy Gloo
02-02-2012, 07:50 PM
I've always used the standard text editor on Aarin with the simple buttons at the top like alignment, text colors, fonts, etc. But since yesterday, I no longer see those buttons on any posts even though my text editor option is still "Standard Text Editor" like always. I'm not sure if this has something to do with my browser or Aarin, but I'm just curious if anyone else is having this same problem?

angerbda
02-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Is it similar to this issue reported -> http://aarinfantasy.com/forum/projects/issue-318.html ?

Gloomy Gloo
02-02-2012, 10:46 PM
It's similar I suppose, but in my case there are just no icons, not even space for the icon.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg407/scaled.php?server=407&filename=screenshothp.jpg&res=medium

Even when I choose the "Enhanced Editor", it still looks like that with no icons whatsoever D:

angerbda
02-03-2012, 12:56 AM
OK...
I am not able to reproduce. Tested with Chrome
I can check with IE and Firefox. But I would guess it is something with the browser or local setup on your computer (cache/java/firewall...)
However I am not sure 100%

Gloomy Gloo
02-03-2012, 05:43 PM
It probably has something to do with my browser then :sigh:

Sorry for taking up your time; I appreciate your help :hug:

angerbda
02-03-2012, 09:29 PM
It is strange enough so that I want to try reproducing it to understand... :)

Some of the ideas to see if there is a change are:
* Clean the cache
* Update Java version
* Check firewall settings
* Try change to another editor setting

... However, these where of no effect to the other user who had the same issue. And their issue was on other browsers also...

So.. I am lost here...
What did you try so far?

We can try to pinpoint and/or eliminate some of the possibilities.

Gloomy Gloo
02-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Thanks for your help :)

I've already done all 4 of the things you listed above and nothing changed ><

The weird thing is that I was able to use the Standard Editor just fine a few days ago, then all of a sudden it just disappeared. I also don't have the same issue when I use Chrome, so it must have something to do with my Firefox ;A;

Halite75
02-04-2012, 12:00 AM
What happens when you try to use the other versions of the editor? Do they not load correctly either?

Gloomy Gloo
02-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Yes, when I choose the other editors like the Enhanced Editor, the same thing happens: no buttons show.

angerbda
02-04-2012, 12:10 AM
If it is just with Firefox, could it be an extension incompatibility (I found mention of No-Script could cause problem with the editor)?

On another hand, Dai-kun announced an update for next week... It is perhaps something that will be corrected.
It seems there are some known issues with the vBulletin editors (I just did a quick search on Google)... but I don't know exactly which applies to the current version of the forum

Gloomy Gloo
02-04-2012, 12:19 AM
I tried running Firefox without addons and the problem still persists and I don't have NoScript either; but I did just see Dai-kun's announcement about the update next week so maybe it'll help. I'm pretty sure it's my browser's problem, though... I'm just not sure what part of the browser is causing problems since I've restarted my browser/computer multiple times after cleaning out cache/cookies/history/etc. *sigh*

angerbda
02-04-2012, 12:23 AM
BTW, I found a tip for Firefox users when there can be issue with add-ons and setup...
You can create a blank profile while keeping the one you have with all your setup... this to help identify if some add-ons or specific setup can cause your issues with a clean blank profile settings.

To proceed -> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_new_Firefox_profile_on_Windows

Once you got the new profile, you can check the forum and see the behavior of the editor

Gloomy Gloo
02-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Thank you for the link! I'd really love to create a blank profile and see how it goes, but my Run isn't reacting like it should in the instructions no matter how many times I try to follow it exactly. I'm thinking of maybe uninstalling my Firefox and re-installing a different version. Thanks for your patience and help; I'll keep you updated!

angerbda
02-04-2012, 09:02 PM
What OS version do you have?

EDIT:
In case you didn't see it, there is a more detailed page of instructions and information about the profile manager here -> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

Gloomy Gloo
02-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the detailed page; I saw and followed it but the popup for profile manager didn't show either...

BUT, I fixed it!! I uninstalled Firefox using a thorough uninstaller program and then reinstalled it; everything works and shows up like they're supposed to now. I'm so happy~ Turns out it was my browser problem after all orz. Thank you for your kind help! :hug: