PDA

View Full Version : Unable to delete Album Pictures

aarinfantasy
12-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Reporting this in case I forget again. Intended for Dai-kun but in case anyone can help, please do.

I don't use the profile album much, so it never occurs to me to delete anything until recently I get some reports on this issue.

After we upload a picture in the Album (profile's album, not Gallery), I did not use it for over an hour... it was not automatically deleted as it should be since it states there:
"Uploads not utilized within one hour will be deleted"

So because of this, some members are having issues with unable to upload more pics even after they deleted it from their album, but the pic remains in the album's upload window so it's counted in as the user's quota.
The big question is: How can one delete the album pictures effectively?

I have only increased the quota so far for the entire usergroup to help those who exceeded the limit, but I can't keep increasing it.

Thanks.

AlexiaLee
12-16-2011, 12:03 AM
Hmm... we discussed somehow this same issue here:

http://aarinfantasy.com/forum/projects/issue-213.html

it's possible to delete completely the attachments and images from albums by going to General settings > attachments and there select the images and press at the end of the list the delete button.
The previously uploaded thumbnails will remain in the uploader manager but they will be deleted nevertheless because once I tried to use one of those "ghost" images and the picture didn't appear, it only showed a broken link of an image.
Hope this helps Dai with the research.

Gadriel
12-16-2011, 06:58 AM
I tried your tip @AlexiaLee; .. yet all the piccies I've uploaded since spring are still there. Have never used most of them.

Wish we could have the option to delete them in the upload manager. That could maybe solve some troubles with the space for the server.

Maybe this idea 'delete option' can help Dai-kun as well because we could handle some problems without giving him troubles. :oops:

lemur7
12-16-2011, 10:49 AM
the pictures are actually once uploaded outside of the average members permissions to psychically delete once the are on the server..they need to be in the worst case deleted by hand by some one who is able to get on the server and go to to member upload folders......I know its a bummer considering just how many people are members here

Dai-Kun can put a script code for this to be an extra option on a member profile...but I'm totally not sure how its done.....plus I'm just putting my 2 cents to this convo....

Edit : if an Admin does the deleting of the pictures...they will delete psychically not be a "ghost image " in the users profile albums....thats the only work around I know for the moment

the answers to why ..is its because permissions are set that only Admins can do that on any forum.... mods/super mods can only delete and leave behind a "this post has been deleted message" all that means is all the stuff deleted by them end up in a "deleted messages folder"(usually or some times in the forum folder on the server that is hosting it) on the server...I kinda hope that helps

aarinfantasy
12-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Well the problem is that there is no option even for me as Admin to delete it physically from the folder. It becomes a "ghost" picture but it takes up space of the user's quota. I can delete pics from the user's profile album though but not on this particular Upload Attachment/Pics window (because it is suppose to auto delete any unused pics in 1 hour)... so I think it's a coding issue of the creator?? and hope Dai-kun will come up with a delete function for all members to use.

lemur7
12-16-2011, 08:58 PM
hummm..now that really is a problem! ...and yup! pretty sure Dai-Kun(truely a master of mircales !!!!) will be able to solve the mystery on how to get the pictures to delete.....once and for all and get you back some very much needed server space

Chawsu
12-20-2011, 07:41 AM
I'm having the same problem, I can't delete those pics in my folder. I wanted more space but don't know what to do. :( I saved them when I was still a new member and didn't know much about the forum. Now I didn't save anything there unless absolutely necessary.

aarinfantasy
12-20-2011, 07:56 AM
Sorry about that everyone, I hope Dai-kun once he login he will see this first.
If not, there is a solution to this still but it requires me to completely lift off the limit which is not the best option now.
I understand some of the pics may be needed for your custom profile too.

So please be patient while he gets back to us, he's currently away for holidays.

angerbda
12-20-2011, 07:46 PM
I thing there is still confusion about the images in the upload window for the profile album... These pictures that appear on the pop-up windows when we upload to the album...

the "Uploads not utilized within one hour will be deleted" applies when we use the upload function prior to submit (i.e. to effectively save the pictures in the album). What it says is that if a user starts uploading but does not complete the process up to save in the album photo, the picture will not be available after an hour for transfer to the album... However, it is right that whatever picture was once uploaded in the 'intermediate' window are still there.

Now, regarding the pics remaining in the album upload window, I am not sure they are counted in the user allowed quota for images. We did the exercise of counting the space taken by these pics with some other users, and it was way over the space effectively taken (mentioned allowed space available).

The thing to consider is that this quota is taking into consideration not only the images from the photo album but also from the attachments posted in some other posts... and most likely the profile pic, the avatar and signature...

In any case, the exact situation has to be reassessed as, so far, it is still not clear. But I would encourage the users who are confused with the amount of pics in the uploading window to check first effectively how many pics they have effectively active in the forum, either in albums photos, attachments, pics/sig/ava, and what size these amount to...

So... before adding to the issue, I would suggest everyone who has a problem to start taking note of the above (effective space taken, pictures in album photo/attachments...), so to provide some useful information to Dai when he will be back