PDA

View Full Version : Visitor message privacy not working properly

daniyagami
11-08-2011, 01:33 PM
I don't know what happened.
I always had my visitor message system limited to my contacts.

In general settings is set:
- Visitor Messaging on
- Limit usage of Visitor Messages to Contacts and Moderators

In profile privacy is set:
Visitor Messages: your contacts

But some of my friends are not having access my VM system! And those are the same friends who were normally accessing the system till some days ago!

Help?

Edit: one of my friends said that the browser freezes when he tries to browse my page and he is unable to scroll the page or access any links on profile like tabs etc

Edit 2: You know what is the most strange thing? Since my profile is broke my account is working fine. Õ_Ô

Anjelica
11-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Is this happen all the time? or maybe when the site is under update?

Halite75
11-09-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm one of daniyagami's friends/contact and can verify that I can no longer view her VMs or leave her a VM. :(

I also noticed this on Schneider's page, but I wasn't sure if he turned off his VMs because some people do that from time to time.

Anjelica
11-09-2011, 01:26 PM
daniyagami, did you make any changes in you're setting recently?

Halite75
11-09-2011, 01:38 PM
Oh, I just noticed that daniyagami removed me from her friend list, since I no longer see her in my friend list anymore and I didn't delete her and in fact VMed with her not that long ago. So that would explain why I can't VM her. :rolleyes:

daniyagami
11-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Ops. double posted.
Sorry.

daniyagami
11-09-2011, 02:11 PM
I didn't removed any person from my friends list. ;_;
But I cant check right now because is not really working, it gives me a error.
I didn't changed my profile page configs either.
Just yesterday I got a complain from a friend who said that she can't access my VMs. Then I checked with another friend and he cant access my VM either.
I think my profile is broke. :/
But the strangest part is that since my profile broke I can access the site normally and I wasn't getting access a couple of days ago (it's a problem that is happening for more than 2 months now).

Halite75
11-09-2011, 02:21 PM
daniyagami added me back as a friend--I can now see her on my Friends List again, but I still can't VM her or see the VM's on her profile. I see everything else perfectly fine (all the other tabs).

Dai-kun
11-09-2011, 10:15 PM
I just double checked both of your settings to make sure things were correct and they are what they should be.

So I'm wondering why this is happening. I checked the forum help board and there were no reports of similar problems so I'm not sure if there is a setting somewhere else that's giving you problems or a bug in the software.

What both of you can do is delete each other off the friends/contacts list and re-add. Try that and see if it works.

Halite75
11-10-2011, 01:22 AM
I was already deleted off of her Friends list and it didn't solve anything when I did a friend request and she accepted it. Also, some of her other friends also say they cannot VM her either.

Plus, she says she can't see her Friends list at all on her profile page, so it is really weird.

daniyagami
11-10-2011, 06:00 AM
Dai-kun

Thank you so much for checking my account! I really appreciate.

I'm going to contact Audiopain86 later and try the remove/re-add friend to see if works. Apparently the profile is not broke to everybody, choutomaraseru could just VM me normally. I must ask her if she can see my profile normally or not.

I checked my profile right now and it works for me.

It is possible that my account have some data corrupted?

I'm asking this because for the latest 2 months I am having issues to access the forum, load pages, getting only errors most of time. Now, since my profile "broke" my account seems to be working, I could normally access the forum yesterday and today, it was a delightful surprise since I was not really getting access for weeks. I can search the forum, I can post, I can PM people and read my PMs, I'm delighted. In the last 2 months most of time I got "server busy" and other error messages and I know it must be a problem in my account because everybody else was accessing the forum normally.

If to have my account working I have to live with my profile broke is not a big deal to me, really. I'm so happy that I can normally use the forum :)

EDIT: Okay, I tried to remove Audiopain86 from my friends list and add her back and she still can't see my VMs. *puzzled*

Halite75
11-10-2011, 01:04 PM
How about you try turning the privacy off for a while and then let me see if I can see your VMs then. Then try turning privacy back on after that.

daniyagami
11-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Good idea, Halite.

I changed as follow:

Profile Privacy: Visitor Messages: Registered Members
General Settings: Visitor Messaging on and Don't limit usage of Visitor Messages

Let me know if my VM works for you.

Halite75
11-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Yep, VM works fine with those settings. :)

daniyagami
11-10-2011, 05:57 PM
I just need to wait the feedback from one more person, then let's try to put the VM back to private again, shall we?
Thanks for all help, Halite. :)

daniyagami
11-11-2011, 06:52 AM
It worked for everybody while open.
I closed again:

In general settings is set:
- Visitor Messaging on
- Limit usage of Visitor Messages to Contacts and Moderators

In profile privacy is set:
Visitor Messages: your contacts

Let's see if still works.

daniyagami
11-11-2011, 07:01 AM
I already got feed back.
Apparently my profile/VM only works if is open, it doesn't work when I set the privacy to be "friends-only". =/

daniyagami
11-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Halite says is working now, so this ticket can be closed. :)

Halite75
11-12-2011, 02:02 PM
dani had to change the setting from Your Contacts to Your Friends in profile privacy.

Is there even a difference between contacts and friends? :huh: I can't even find a place to view my "contacts"--only my friends from my profile tab.

angerbda
11-12-2011, 06:48 PM
The contacts appear on the friend list under the settings (http://aarinfantasy.com/forum/profile.php?do=buddylist)... it is basically someone you add to your list without friending them... something like a "following". Then, these contacts can be seen on the "Open Contact pop-up" window under the "Quick Links"...
Also, when a setup is for friends, usually it means it is available for friends and contacts... these people on your friend list