PDA

View Full Version : IMG posting/Attachment

06-24-2011, 06:02 AM
the option to post an image doesn't always work
Hi :)
I don't know if this is really a bug or if I'm just to stupid to do it right, but I'm having problems with posting pictures in my posts.
The weird thing is: sometimes it works fine and sometimes I get an 'invalid URL' notice.
I noticed that sometimes when I click on the image button to add a pic, I first get offered the option to upload a pic directly from my computer. In that case, when I change the option to upload from website, the action fails ('invalid URL'). Other times I click on the image button and get straight to the 'upload from website' option and then everything works fine. Help me, please?

also, I posted some direct links to pictures earlier in a thread and for some reason one of them showed up as an attachment...why is that?

EDIT: I think I found out what to do to make the pic upload work. But I'm still confused about the attachment thing...

Dai-kun
07-02-2011, 07:08 PM
I know what you mean. I tried to use it a few times and it's a bit confusing. Right now I'm kinda busy but when I get the chance I'll look into this issue more.

AlexiaLee
09-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Hi Dai-kun!

Just wondering if you have already found something about this issue.
The thing is, I have a lot of images "saved" somewhere and I can't delete them and they're taking up space needlessly.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/alexiel_dream/th_att.png (http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/alexiel_dream/att.png)

102 images stored and I barely use 25 as attachments for some post & social groups. I tried to delete them in Settings > Attachments but that section only shows the images that I'm currently using :-k

Thanks

kinsugi
09-14-2011, 12:00 AM
I have an order that works almost 100% of the time. The few times I've seen "invalid URL", it always worked when I started over; I wonder if I just went too fast for lag (which has become normal for me) to keep up with my clicks?

My steps:
1. Click on "From URL."
2. UNCHECK the checkbox on the bottom, which adds an attached file (and may be a cause for many unwanted attachments as a result!)
3. Put image URL in space provided for it.
4. Click OK.

I have noticed that the annoying checkbox which adds attached images is not there in PROFILES or in PMs, which allow ONLY images from external URLs. Perhaps this could be done as a general default, unless that checkbox function is needed for other purposes.

Hope this is helpful information... thanks Dai for all your hard work!

Halite75
09-14-2011, 12:42 AM
I've had similar problems with the pictures loading as attachments--it is very annoying. I'll have to remember to look for that annoying checkbox so I can uncheck it next time. :)

AlexiaLee
09-14-2011, 01:21 AM
@kinsugi
Thanks for the advice, that's what I always do too but my concern is about deleting past images. I can't find how can I get rid of those 102 images that I have stored somewhere :-k they're using 2+MB and I don't need them anymore ;__;

Halite75
09-14-2011, 12:54 PM
Do they show up when you look at them here? http://aarinfantasy.com/forum/profile.php?do=editattachments

If so, it is easy to delete them from there.

EDIT: Oh, I see you say you've looked there. If you can see them in that box when you are trying to add a new image to post, there is a way to delete attachments from there. You can click on the little "x" that shows up in the corner of the pictures to delete them. I can't give you exact steps because it has been a while since I deleted pics from there.

AlexiaLee
09-14-2011, 09:44 PM
@Halite75
No, there is no 'X' to delete them, only a '?' sign at the top right corner of every pic.
The 'x' you're talking about appears only in the box at the bottom where it says 2. Drag previously uploaded files into this area to attach them but my whole list of previously uploaded 102 useless files is still there :( and there's no option to delete them.

angerbda
09-15-2011, 12:02 AM
Hi Dai-kun!

Just wondering if you have already found something about this issue.
The thing is, I have a lot of images "saved" somewhere and I can't delete them and they're taking up space needlessly.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/alexiel_dream/th_att.png (http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/alexiel_dream/att.png)

102 images stored and I barely use 25 as attachments for some post & social groups. I tried to delete them in Settings > Attachments but that section only shows the images that I'm currently using :-k

Thanks
For what I know these are not stored on your account. It is like a ghost of previously attached images... so no impact on you storage/image capacity...
I didn't find a way to clear this history... and I stopped trying :S

AlexiaLee
09-15-2011, 01:34 PM
For what I know these are not stored on your account. It is like a ghost of previously attached images... so no impact on you storage/image capacity...
I didn't find a way to clear this history... and I stopped trying :S

hmm... but it's not a ghost because if you want to use one of that previously uploaded images you can use them anytime.
I don't know where they're stored but it really bugs me cause it is wasted space :-k it must reduce the storage space somewhere and I do think it is in my account because I have 2+ MB and I don't think the 25 little images that I'm currently using are taking up that space.

kinsugi
09-15-2011, 02:10 PM
I researched my attachments. The early ones are in my albums, which was intentional. The later ones were added by accident to messages. I wasted some time looking, but discovered... WE CAN DELETE OUR ATTACHMENTS.

To delete directly:
Go to Settings: Attachments. The list has little checkboxes to the right of each attachment. Check the ones you want to delete, scroll to bottom, click on Delete Selected.

To review thumbnails first:
Scroll down to bottom of Attachment list. Click on Show Thumbnails. Check the little boxes on the right for the ones you want to delete, scroll to bottom, click on Delete Selected.

EDIT: Sorry, this doesn't solve AlexiaLee's original issue. I am leaving this information because it might help others to get rid of attachments, once they are accidentally added to posts.

Apologies, Alexia...

AlexiaLee
09-15-2011, 05:20 PM
SOLVED! I researched my attachments. The early ones are in my albums, which was intentional. The later ones were added by accident to messages. But as Alexia asks, where are they? I wasted some time looking, but EUREKA!

Doesn't matter. WE CAN DELETE OUR ATTACHMENTS.

To delete directly:
Go to Settings: Attachments. The list has little checkboxes to the right of each attachment. Check the ones you want to delete, scroll to bottom, click on Delete Selected.

To review thumbnails first:
Scroll down to bottom of Attachment list. Click on Show Thumbnails. Check the little boxes on the right for the ones you want to delete, scroll to bottom, click on Delete Selected.

Just deleted my unwanted attachments. Have fun! :lalala:

Nope, sorry but I can't do that >,>
I can't delete my previously uploaded files in Settings > Attachments as I already stated in my first post.
They're not there to begin with because those images are not attached anywhere, they were uploaded to certain albums and then I deleted them when they were not needed anymore from the albums.
The thing is that I can't get rid of them in the File Upload Manager.

angerbda
09-15-2011, 09:10 PM
hmm... but it's not a ghost because if you want to use one of that previously uploaded images you can use them anytime.
I don't know where they're stored but it really bugs me cause it is wasted space :-k it must reduce the storage space somewhere and I do think it is in my account because I have 2+ MB and I don't think the 25 little images that I'm currently using are taking up that space.
I'm just curious, if you go to your settings ? Attachment, you see the list of all of them (therefore the 25 images you have). What is the total of all your images there? The size is specified...
In my case, I have 100+ pics in this first page when uploading, but effectively, only 60 images stored in my account that correspond exactly to the size displayed (i.e. 3.44 MB)... So, no more than what I have effectively is stored in my account...

AlexiaLee
09-15-2011, 09:34 PM
I'm just curious, if you go to your settings ? Attachment, you see the list of all of them (therefore the 25 images you have). What is the total of all your images there? The size is specified...
In my case, I have 100+ pics in this first page when uploading, but effectively, only 60 images stored in my account that correspond exactly to the size displayed (i.e. 3.44 MB)... So, no more than what I have effectively is stored in my account...

Hmm... good idea. Ok, I went to Attachments > Settings and I added manually with a calculator the size of every pic. The total is 1785.8 KB = 1.74 MB which clearly is less than what the File Upload Manager or the bar on top of the Attachments page shows.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/alexiel_dream/th_122.png (http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/alexiel_dream/122.png)

@kinsugi
No worries, sorry if I sounded harsh... ^^°

angerbda
09-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Hmm... good idea. Ok, I went to Attachments > Settings and I added manually with a calculator the size of every pic. The total is 1785.8 KB = 1.74 MB which clearly is less than what the File Upload Manager or the bar on top of the Attachments page shows. [...]
OK... so... now we need to see where the additional 574k... I doubt the rest of the pics (you have 100+ pics in the uploader) could be this... I assume more than 70 pics shall be heavier than 574k if your 25 equals 1.74 MB.
If you uploaded your ava/sig/profile pic from your comp files, they would not be stored with the rest of the images but can be part of this 2.31MB... We need to have validation by someone here knowing the specific of the attachments...

In any case, you can have up to
- 45k additional with ava
- 293k additional with sig
- I don't know what the limit is with the profile pic

... could it explain the additional 574k to the attachments?

AlexiaLee
09-15-2011, 10:04 PM
OK... so... now we need to see where the additional 574k... I doubt the rest of the pics (you have 100+ pics in the uploader) could be this... I assume more than 70 pics shall be heavier than 574k if your 25 equals 1.74 MB.
If you uploaded your ava/sig/profile pic from your comp files, they would not be stored with the rest of the images but can be part of this 2.31MB... We need to have validation by someone here knowing the specific of the attachments...

In any case, you can have up to
- 45k additional with ava
- 293k additional with sig
- I don't know what the limit is with the profile pic

... could it explain the additional 574k to the attachments?

Good point ^^, now I added the exact size of my profile pic, avi & siggie and the total is 2017.87 KB = 1.97 MB, still less than my current 2.31 MB :-k

EDIT: but now that I think about it, the avi, profile pic & siggie space shouldn't count on that space because the bar at the top of the attachments page in Settings says clearly "You're currently using 2.31 MB to store 24 uploaded attachments.
The other images are not included in the 24 and they have specific rules depending on your user status, is different for registered users and contributors.

angerbda
09-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Good point ^^, now I added the exact size of my profile pic, avi & siggie and the total is 2017.87 KB = 1.97 MB, still less than my current 2.31 MB :-k
OK... I am lost for the remaining... I will try to see and check if I find something... until someone else gives the reason... :D

Dai-kun
09-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Have you guys looked into if your quota is being over because of album + attachments size?

I think they share the same quota but it doesn't show when viewing attachment quotas.

hayenga
10-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Hi,

I've been trying to upload pictures to my album but I cant seem to get any
on there every time I click the upload pics button I get this message ----

"This picture exceeds your total album file-size quota by 133.9 KB."

I would like to get some on there so I can just upload some for my profile
background but I cant seem to figure out what the trouble is. If you could
shed some light on this or help me fix it that would be great!

Thanks so much!

lesnat
10-28-2011, 11:45 PM
hi, i need help desperately!!! for 3 days now, i've been trying to upload some pictures for a competition. but, apparently I've nearly reached my limit. so, if anyone can help me, i would like to get help to delete the previous pictures. they were some that had ticks on them- I got rid of those. however, the rest just refuse to be deleted (I don't know if it's because that the contests that I submitted them in are still going on.) so, please, if any one can, please help me as I'm not able to enter anymore competitions!!!!